CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

I saw it yesterday and realy liked it...after over 30 years and two failed attempts (the lynch film and the miniseires) we finally got a good film version of Dune..the first half of the novel, however.

Looks as if the film will be a sucess...Warers would not have greelit the second half if it had not been...but it is NOT going to be a blockbuster like LOTR.

Maybe Warners i hoping for a repeat of what happened with "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight",,,Begins was a modest sucess at the box office, but because it became quite popular on video and Cable the sequel was a  huge blockbuster in theaters, but I would not bet on that happening.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Looks like WB is finally posting the daily numbers for their movies again. 

Let's hope they continue doing it. I think they have gone off-on-off in the past before. Might be at $76m when the weekend comes. Let's see how much over $80 after the weekend.

Wish this was playing a couple more weeks in IMAX/Experience theatres... I missed it last weekend and as of Thursday afternoon, it's being booted for the already much-less-well-received Eternals in most territories in the U.S.  I'm frankly not interested in seeing it on the big screen at all unless it has that extra IMAX-ness!  And yeah, even tonight, it seems to be filling up most local IMAX's nearby me.  This thing clearly has legs and decent word-of-mouth; it could have gone a week or two more in these theatres...  

Oh well, guess it's HBOMax for me...  

Edited by Macleod

As an afterthought, Villeneuve might have created the best possible position for Dune in regards being true to the source material vs. GA friendliness. More specifically not having those "funny" moments like Legolas surfing on a shield in LOTR ("let's fight like Demons" is a milder version of that which made me grinch a bit), having comical sidekicks (Pippin & Merry), or making characters artificially expressive in conflict with their essence (the subtle logical Spock in old Star Trek vs. the new psychopath raging Spock in the new ones) BUT also cutting it half an hour shorter to make more GA friendly with the expense of loosing some key scenes and character & plot developments. A fine line to walk, but results speak for themselves. It is a true adaptation and it is financially successful enough to easily greenlight Part 2.

Like with FOTR, I really hope there would come that director's cut (probably not) that would solve some of the lost things due to being half an hour shorter as the "original" cut. Although I would say Dune needs it story and pacing wise half less than FOTR did.

I hope Villeneuve can keep the positioning same for Dune Part 2 under the studio's pressure to make it more GA friendly. I'd gladly take a Dune Part 2 that makes $600m while true to Part 1 and the source material, than Dune Part 2 making $800m and having Paul surfing on the sand dunes while cracking jokes with Stilgar.

18 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

As an afterthought, Villeneuve might have created the best possible position for Dune in regards being true to the source material vs. GA friendliness. More specifically not having those "funny" moments like Legolas surfing on a shield in LOTR ("let's fight like Demons" is a milder version of that which made me grinch a bit), having comical sidekicks (Pippin & Merry), or making characters artificially expressive in conflict with their essence (the subtle logical Spock in old Star Trek vs. the new psychopath raging Spock in the new ones) BUT also cutting it half an hour shorter to make more GA friendly with the expense of loosing some key scenes and character & plot developments. A fine line to walk, but results speak for themselves. It is a true adaptation and it is financially successful enough to easily greenlight Part 2.

Like with FOTR, I really hope there would come that director's cut (probably not) that would solve some of the lost things due to being half an hour shorter as the "original" cut. Although I would say Dune needs it story and pacing wise half less than FOTR did.

I hope Villeneuve can keep the positioning same for Dune Part 2 under the studio's pressure to make it more GA friendly. I'd gladly take a Dune Part 2 that makes $600m while true to Part 1 and the source material, than Dune Part 2 making $800m and having Paul surfing on the sand dunes while cracking jokes with Stilgar.

I'm pretty sure if Denis didn't get pressure after BR2049, he isn't going to get any with Dune Part 2. He's the kind of dude that do whatever he thinks is right, and so far, it's working.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I'm pretty sure if Denis didn't get pressure after BR2049, he isn't going to get any with Dune Part 2. He's the kind of dude that do whatever he thinks is right, and so far, it's working.

Well, he needs to negotiate these things as every director to balance it out, but I think you're right that he has much more cloud than 95% of other directors. He needed to cut the Part 1 shorter and "clean up" the script on the demands of the studio but he had a vast creative freedom still, and I doubt that it'll change much for Part 2. Although I'm sure the studio tries to influence. They have their own focus group surveys and based on those try to push Villeneuve make Part 2 "more accessible" for GA. However, I think he has big cloud because now that WB lost Nolan, they are elevating Villeneuve to be their next Nolan and can't lose him.

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

Wish this was playing a couple more weeks in IMAX/Experience theatres... I missed it last weekend and as of Thursday afternoon, it's being booted for the already much-less-well-received Eternals in most territories in the U.S.  I'm frankly not interested in seeing it on the big screen at all unless it has that extra IMAX-ness!  And yeah, even tonight, it seems to be filling up most local IMAX's nearby me.  This thing clearly has legs and decent word-of-mouth; it could have gone a week or two more in these theatres...  

Oh well, guess it's HBOMax for me...  

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I was in the middle of a move these past couple weeks rendering me unable to see it. And not being able to see it yesterday kinda killed my drive.

My hope is that certain IMAX's will bring it back for a limited run either for Oscar season or during a dead period in between Ghostbusters and Spider-Man No Way Home.

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I was in the middle of a move these past couple weeks rendering me unable to see it. And not being able to see it yesterday kinda killed my drive.

My hope is that certain IMAX's will bring it back for a limited run either for Oscar season or during a dead period in between Ghostbusters and Spider-Man No Way Home.

I'm also in the same boat. I saw Dune first in my country on a normal PLF (the next best after IMAX). Then planning to see on the IMAX but realizing that NTTD just snapped all (why always all!?) IMAXs and that was that. Dune's IMAXs were also sold out week in advance until the end. I'm getting back to LA next month which doesn't again help anything because I missed that window too.

But if you have choice to see Dune even on a normal cinema screen rather than HBO Max, go for it! Definitely worth it. I'm hoping those Oscars IMAX shows. Otherwise hoping reruns before Part 2.