CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Eh, it's just that new philosophy in soundtracks that many people, myself included, dislike. For some time now, soundtracks have become soundscapes. These walls of sound background, only made with instruments and voices. There's there to pump up the atmosphere but god forbid if they're allowed to call attention to themselves.

Whereas just as little as 20 years ago music in movies was still about self-sufficient melody carrying at least a few of key tracks in each soundtrack.

Zimmer too went through the same change. His music from 1990s is great and focused on a clear melody. Then sometime in 2000s he started to shift to the soundscape philosophy. Lately he hasn't had a decent melody in his movies. Perhaps Man of Steel was one of the last ones with a good melody, though he co-composed that with Junkie XL so it's hard to tell which part is his.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eridani said:

Eh, it's just that new philosophy in soundtracks that many people, myself included, dislike. For some time now, soundtracks have become soundscapes. These walls of sound background, only made with instruments and voices. There's there to pump up the atmosphere but god forbid if they're allowed to call attention to themselves.

Whereas just as little as 20 years ago music in movies was still about self-sufficient melody carrying at least a few of key tracks in each soundtrack.

Zimmer too went through the same change. His music from 1990s is great and focused on a clear melody. Then sometime in 2000s he started to shift to the soundscape philosophy. Lately he hasn't had a decent melody in his movies. Perhaps Man of Steel was one of the last ones with a good melody, though he co-composed that with Junkie XL so it's hard to tell which part is his.

WW84 and NTTD had some good melodic parts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

So it seems like this is not actually getting an IMAX re-release on Dec 3rd in the US? Just checked my nearby IMAX theater and Sword Art Online movie seems to be taking the IMAX screens that weekend.

If they would postpone and have some special IMAX screenings after I arrive back to LA on Dec 9th, that would be acceptable.

Ron Swanson America GIF

10 hours ago, eridani said:

I watched Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark a week ago after 20 years or so. I think that's a perfect example of the old good times with melodic soundtracks, and god it has aged well!

Also last weekend watched the Ghostbusters (1984) and the same thing with that.

However in Dune's case I like what Zimmer did. It works well in it. He created that otherworldliness that he wanted. He didn't want it to have any recognizable melodies or music from our history. He actually warned Villeneuve and the sound people that he'll go the closest ever to their turf.

I watched Dune third time last weekend, and I have to say, that it just gets better. The details, the depth, thoughtfulness...it all just rhymes. I've been struggling how to rate it but come to the conclusion of 9.5/10 or A-. It is near perfection. If studio would have given that 30min more for Villeneuve, we would have seen those few scenes that we long for character and plot building. However, Dune needs less of the extended version as FOTR's theatrical version needed.

But if Dune would have been over 3 hours, it probably wouldn't have succeeded so well commercially and Part 2 might not have been greenlit, not at least with the creative freedoms that Villeneuve enjoys now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I've been so busy with other things that I haven't been able to properly eat crow - DUNE's post-PLF loss legs have been much better than I expected and I deserve any shame that comes my way!

Your punishment will be to rewatch Pacific Rim 2

• Astonished 1

8 hours ago, ViewerAnon said:

I've been so busy with other things that I haven't been able to properly eat crow - DUNE's post-PLF loss legs have been much better than I expected and I deserve any shame that comes my way!

No biggie, plenty of people underestimated this movie, I appreciate you're open to changing your viewpoint!

I watched this again and it further drives home my initial thoughts last month, its an oddly cold affair.  You don't feel much for any of these characters except maybe Momoa's but hes in it so little.  The world building, sound, and cinematography keep this afloat.  I really wanted to love this movie, especially since its an increasingly rare type of movie, but it just isn't really staying with me like it should.   Dropping my B+ to a B/B-.  Bladerunner 2049 is a vastly superior movie