kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

7 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

Can confirm that pretty much everything was closed here in NZ as well. I think America is more of the exception in that regard (in places that celebrate Christmas, anyway).

Lots of places are closed on Christmas in America, but thereare some exceptions like movie theaters for some reason.

6 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

TLJ is bringing Star Wars back to the dark days of the prequels. Kennedy & Rian Johnson have f*cked up. 

I don't think you can blame exactly to quality of the movie for the low OS number. As someone said: SW is a big thing only in Europe, Japan and Australia & New Zealand.

Asian and Latin American markets: the areas with fast growing markets don't care for SW, not even for sci-fi movies. China and Mexico proved that doesn't matter if you put a local actor in your movie (Donnie Yen, Diego Luna), that's not enough for people to show up. Plus, if you have a lot of competition people will choose it over the eight installment of a saga they don't know or don't care.

Lucasfilm should be worried for working on its domestic audience.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I don't think you can blame exactly to quality of the movie for the low OS number. As someone said: SW is a big thing only in Europe, Japan and Australia & New Zealand.

Asian and Latin American markets: the areas with fast growing markets don't care for SW, not even for sci-fi movies. China and Mexico proved that doesn't matter if you put a local actor in your movie (Donnie Yen, Diego Luna), that's not enough for people to show up. Plus, if you have a lot of competition people will choose it over the eight installment of a saga they don't know or don't care.

The new Star Trek movies also didnt make anything substantial in Latin America/Asia overall. Sci-Fi/Space Operas seem to be just not as interesting for the people there (except youre part of the MCU/a comic book movie).

8 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

But, but Oscar Isaac is the most charismatic actor in the world! Look at him = :apocalypse: Just look at him = :apocalypse: Charisma in a bottle! Everyone wants to be him! He's making Latin America proud! So why isn't TLJ performing there when he got over 50% of the movie for himself? Inquiring minds want to know cause inquiring minds are constantly reminded by Oscar stans that he's the most charismatic thing ever and has chemistry with a kitchen sink! 

:P

Sorry couldn't resist. Oscar stans have approached Cumberbitches levels. ;)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

The UK saw a big bounce for Luke, Rey and the rest of the crew on Tuesday. The Boxing Day holiday meant cinemas re-opened after most were closed on Christmas Day. The gross there has now hit $70.9M. Germany added $3M on Tuesday for $45.6M to date, followed by France at $34.6M (+$3.5M — a big 45% of the weekend). Japan has $30.7M through Tuesday and Australian cinemas have taken in $28.8M.

Episode 7 had made 115.9m through the second Tuesday, so TLJ is down 38.8% (better to compare in pounds but I didn't keep track of that unfortunately), which is a larger drop than the domestic one, 29.6% through the 2nd Tuesday.

I remember there was some talk about whether TFA outperformed in the UK even more than it did in the US, I think this comparison would contribute to that point a bit.

Just now, MattW said:

$446.9m through the 27th which is 26.7 for yesterday, compared to 24.14 for Tuesday.  Pretty good.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $445,207,899    49.9%
Foreign:  $446,900,000    50.1%

Worldwide:  $892,107,899  

I think the increase was mainly due to UK (Tue 3 M up to 4.9 M Wed) Germany (Tue 3 M up to 4.3 M Wed)

So they increased 63% and 43% (Those two are amazing) and together they increased by 3.2 Mio that is more than the total increase of 2.56. So taking those two out the other markets dropped a little bit.

• Like 1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

$22.7M means it is down $4M! from Wednesday and that despite staying flat in the UK with $4.9M and increasing by 2% (so basically flat) in Germany to $4.4M. I hope this is a sign for good legs in these two markets.

That means the gross for the others dropped from $17.5M (Wed) to $13,4 (-23,5%), that isn't really good to be honest.

On 2017/12/28 at 1:45 AM, Brainbug said:

That would make me really happy if it would happen.

50-70M is still possible.TLJ  is the only wide release next week.TLJ will hold 3 Week IMAX Screen.But Rogue one number is at best case.A lot of wide release on Jan.12 and Jan 19.

Edited by bangbingchan

On 27/12/2017 at 12:53 PM, Brainbug said:

The new Star Trek movies also didnt make anything substantial in Latin America/Asia overall. Sci-Fi/Space Operas seem to be just not as interesting for the people there (except youre part of the MCU/a comic book movie).

With the exception of SW, which other Space Opera movies or franchise actually succeed on the same level in US or Europe?

Don't think so. It's difficult to do good crowd-pleasing scifi. Look at all that talent behind Pacific Rim, Alien sequels, Hellboy & Blade Runner 2049 and the latter can't even break past $300M WW.