kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

Although this hasn't gotten anywhere near TFA results in any of OS markets, TLJ seems to score some good results in Europe, Australia and Japan. Europe in particular really does deliver when it comes to box office earnings.

As of 24th of December the biggest markests are as follows:

1. $67.4 mil UK
2. $40,0 mil Germany
3. $29,3 mil France
4. $28,5 mil Japan
5. $26,9 mil Australia
6. $13,6 mil Spain
7. $12,1 mil Brazil
8. $11,9 mil Russia
9. $10,7 mil Italy
10. $10,0 mil Mexico
11. $8,5 mil Sweden
12. $7,1 mil South Korea
12. $7,1 mil Poland
14. $6,4 mil Denmark

It's worth noting that 24th is Christmas Eve in many countries where almost anything is shut down noon onwards, so the business will witness some significant gains in the upcoming days. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Here are some stats on this weekend’s lightsaber duels:

— No. 1s this weekend were maintained in: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Australia and New Zealand.

— Overall, the UK leads the Top 5 at $67.4M, followed by Germany ($40M), France ($29.3M), Japan ($28.5M) and Australia ($26.9M). The softest spot among majors is Korea ($7.1M).

So this has me asking myself which movie took No. 1 in Germany this weekend (it was TLJ)

16 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

From Deadline: The UK leads all markets with $67.9M, followed by Germany ($42.6M), France ($31.1M), Japan ($29.6M) and Australia ($27.2M)

That would mean it grossed just 0.5 Mio in the Uk, 2.6 Mio in Germany, 1.8 in France, 1.1 in Japan and 0.3 in Australia on X-Mas Day, so combined that would be 6.3 Mio so all other markets grossed 8.5 Mio.

On 2017/12/25 at 1:15 AM, FantasticBeasts said:

70m is the optimistic prediction for China.

I heard people saying it may not reach 50m.

4 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

TLJ[9 days + 2 hours]

MN - 175k (1,857 showtimes)

OD - 848k (15,389)

Sat - 350k (9,146)

Sun - 268k (8,496)

Dunkirk[9 days + 2 hours]

MN - 358k (1,558)

OD - 2.01m (15,520)

Sat - 746k (5,380)

Sun - 660k (4,964)

PS is half of Durkirk at same point.Durkirk hit 50M.

On 24/12/2017 at 3:28 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Ok then. Perhaps 650 million domestic and 630 million overseas. 1.280 billion worldwide.  At best, it can make 1.3 billion. 

I just hope you guys aren't counting with China's numbers. So, there's that. 1.3 billion, give or take. 

Ok, after Monday's numbers, I'm betting on my prediction. 1.3 billion worldwide is where The Last Jedi is going. Not locked by any means. Chances are the overseas numbers are smaller ( if China's numbers are as bad as they're looking to be ).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Ok, after Monday's numbers, I'm betting on my prediction. 1.3 billion worldwide is where The Last Jedi is going. Not locked by any means. Chances are the overseas numbers are smaller ( if China's numbers are as bad as they're looking to be ).

This will be one of the box office shocks of 2017 no doubt.

Making almost as much as BATB WW and less than Despicable Me 3 and BATB overseas is a surprise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

1350-1400 ww

650 dom + 675 os-china + 50 china = 1375 ww

If this happens, Star Wars will have a worse retention rate among big franchises worldwide in 2017:

FF8 vs FF7: 1240 vs 1515 = 81%

DM3 vs Minions 1033 vs 1159 = 89%

SW8 vs SW7 1375 vs 2070 = 66.4%

All of these were 2015 vs 2017 releases interestingly

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Barely any cinemas are open on Christmas Day in the UK so 0.5m is actually quite a lot. 

Deadlines one article said 0.1m meaning that they underestimated the weekend by a bit.

Didn't know that, thought it was similar to Germany, where Cinemas are only opened in the morning of Christmas Eve and fully open again on X-Mas Day.

I hope it performs in Germany something like this 2.6 $ (monday, I think they might have underestimated the weekend by a bit too, so monday might be closer to 2.5 Mio$) 3 and 3 Mio (presales for the 27th at the local cinemas I checked are actually ahead of tomorrow).

30 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

If this happens, Star Wars will have a worse retention rate among big franchises worldwide in 2017:

FF8 vs FF7: 1240 vs 1515 = 81%

DM3 vs Minions 1033 vs 1159 = 89%

SW8 vs SW7 1375 vs 2070 = 66.4%

All of these were 2015 vs 2017 releases interestingly

Puuh, doesn't look that promising, to be honest.

That DM3 hold is incredible, considering how awful Minions was.

34 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

This will be one of the box office shocks of 2017 no doubt.

Making almost as much as BATB WW and less than Despicable Me 3 and BATB overseas is a surprise.

That happens when a franchise simply for whatever reason (never watched the OT (and PT) etc.), doesn't connect with most OS-Markets, to be honest it only performs well in Europe, Japan and Australia and New Zealand. 

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

TFA did 124M in China, but had bad WOM.

Rogue One did 69M and had even worse WOM.

How is TLJ expected to do more than R1? 20-30M total woundt surprise me. China just doesnt care for SW.

That honestly would be awful, dropping 75 to 85 %.

• Like 1

Barely any cinemas are open on Christmas Day in the UK so 0.5m is actually quite a lot.

Why does the UK close their theaters on Christmas DAY? How does that make any sense?

Christmas day is one of the biggest days over at the US boxoffice!

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

TFA did 124M in China, but had bad WOM.

Rogue One did 69M and had even worse WOM.

How is TLJ expected to do more than R1? 20-30M total woundt surprise me. China just doesnt care for SW.

With predictions of $150 million for Jumanji in China, I'm predicting TLJ will completely collapse there when Jumanji is released one week after. If TLJ actually earns just $20-30 million, it might also get outgrossed in China by Ferdinand and Wonder (which are both released 2 weeks after it).

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Why does the UK close their theaters on Christmas DAY? How does that make any sense?

Christmas day is one of the biggest days over at the US boxoffice!

Almost everything is closed in the UK on Christmas Day. Everyone is at home with family and friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Almost everything is closed in the UK on Christmas Day. Everyone is at home with family and friends. 

Isn't that how it is in most Countries.

In Germany almost everything is closed too, apart from the obvious Hospitals, Police etc.

And Cinemas are open (only close at Christmas Eve sometime around noon up to 3 pm).

And here all things actually also remain closed on Boxing Day.

• Thanks 1