FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

18 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Sing 38-42m with Thu multies from chipmunk and tin tin. Should be to the high side. 41-42.

R1 56-60m using mi4 and sh . Again leaning high. 58-60m

Early China PS suggesting $60-65m total for R1. Down 50% from SW7. Could lose to STB. 

First time star trek wins a major BO battle in the 40 year history. 

Scotty has the force in china!

I love you China :cloud9: 

• Like 1

If the presence of Donnie Yen & the other Chinese actor cannot lift Rogue One in China, then Disney should reconsider its casting choices going forward. Star Wars makes money in North America and Europe, act accordingly. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Alright, well I can't respond to @Lordmandeep's previous post about how he pirated movies, so time to say it here:

Original post:

"I pirated sucide squad and Batman vs superman...

Those films deserved it."

Alright, listen here:  I don't care how you watch the movie.  Watch it for 99 cents when it's on sale on Google Play.  Watch it at an abnormally cheap price.  I really don't give a shit.  However, I will begin to care when you make the conscious decision to slowly kill Hollywood just like that, no matter how bad the movies are.  You decide to watch a movie illegally and slowly kill everyone who, despite how the final product turned out, worked really hard on the production?  Filmmaking isn't easy, buddy.  If one day, everyone decides pirating movies is the way to go, how do you think Hollywood would react?  They'd close their doors.  No movies anymore.  Congratulations pirates!  You've successfully accomplished your mission: Get rid of those "greedy dirtbag corporate scum that plagues Hollywood and makes useless cash grabs!"  Shame you can't watch anything any more.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect to anyone who pirates a movie and has the gall to claim themselves as a fan of cinema.

"I can't believe people paid 10 to 20 bucks to watch those films.

I was pisssed off watching them for free"

I watched them.  I paid for them.  I didn't like them, but does that really matter?  No, it doesn't.  If you don't wanna pay for a movie to see it, then you probably didn't even wanna watch it at all is what I'm getting at.  So then don't watch it if you cant even go to the movie theater and pay 10 bucks for it.  You don't even have to pay for any snacks, I don't care.  But just pay a bit of money.  If you don't like the film, then okay, but there's nothing you can do about it.  You made the conscious decision to pay for it in the first place, so why should you personally be owed something?  By pirating a movie, however, you decide that you wanna see the movie, but you just don't want to support the people who helped make it.  And to me, that's despicable.

Well Jesus, I think this is my most liked post on the site.  Did not expect that, thanks :).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I love you China :cloud9: 

I was thinking the presence of Donnie Yen would boost the box office of RO in China.

oh well

When is the release date in China by the way?

Edited by TacoBell
add info

Moana will cross $200 million domestic today, as it ended yesterday with $199m after a Thursday gross of around $4.1m for the day.

It still looks like it will join the late-in-the-game trio of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (which crossed $220m yesterday), Doctor Strange (which should top $230m today or tomorrow) and Sing to end up between $230 and $250m domestic, give or take.

Sing to end up between $230 and $250m domestic, give or take.

Of course, Sing could go a lot higher as the Illumination musical earned $15.031m (+57% from last Thursday) to give the $75m Universal/Comcast Corp. release a $123.5m cume heading into the weekend. Expect a "bigger than last weekend" haul for the kid-friendly crowd-pleaser.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/12/30/box-office-sing-nabs-15m-thursday-while-moana-set-to-pass-200m/#cd8b0d034c54

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

If the presence of Donnie Yen & the other Chinese actor cannot lift Rogue One in China, then Disney should reconsider its casting choices going forward. Star Wars makes money in North America and Europe, act accordingly. 

No... :( 

Chinese/asian actors are nice! Please don't, Hollywood :P

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Well, if only Donnie Yen wasn't the most universally praised actor in the movie.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

No... :( 

Chinese/asian actors are nice! Please don't, Hollywood :P

Donnie Yen was great in Rogue One, don't get me wrong and actors like him deserve all the Hollywood chances they can get. But if all this carefully crafted diversity (talking in general terms here) does not produce any genuine BO advantage then why bother? Just stick to pleasing the core audience that has been carrying Star Wars to the stratosphere for decades. If on the other hand you are the FF franchise...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Can't blame them for not trying. Also it looks like adding Chinese actors doesn't really hurt SW's BO in NA or Europe, so no harm done. Althou might be that it would've done loads more if only there was Christoph Waltz, Gerard Depardieu or Hugh Grant ;) btw, is it doing better than average SW in Denmark? 

What I am trying to say is that I think that for the most of people in NA and Europe it does not matter what country the actors are from...

• Like 5

@Jayhawk

Your projection earlier this week seems very good for Rogue One at $445m through Monday the 2nd. Just went through the Top 10 in 2011 and compared the 4-day multiplier vs. the Thursday numbers.

Worst Case scenario (Chipmunks) = 3.30 x $16.67m = $55m for the 4-day ($430m total)

Best Case Scenario (War Horse) = 5.00 x $16.67m = $83.35m for the 4-day ($458m total)

Average of the above is 4.15 x $16.67m = $69.2m for the 4-day ($444.5m total)

Sherlock was a 4.25 multiplier and MI4 was a 4.63 multiplier. Dragon Tattoo was a 4.63 multiplier and TinTin was a 3.73 multiplier for those who are curious.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

So you think that casting Yen was a mistake?  I thought he was terrific in his role.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

@Jayhawk

Your projection earlier this week seems very good for Rogue One at $445m through Monday the 2nd. Just went through the Top 10 in 2011 and compared the 4-day multiplier vs. the Thursday numbers.

Worst Case scenario (Chipmunks) = 3.30 x $16.67m = $55m for the 4-day ($430m total)

Best Case Scenario (War Horse) = 5.00 x $16.67m = $83.35m for the 4-day ($458m total)

Sherlock was a 4.25 multiplier and MI4 was a 4.63 multiplier. Dragon Tattoo was a 4.63 multiplier and TinTin was a 3.73 multiplier for those who are curious.

Again showing that family films benefit more from the weekdays than the actual weekends in this calendar configuration.  Thanks for compiling all this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

@Jayhawk

Seems about right. Definitely won't be doing the worst case scenario haha. I think 450m-ish may end up being the best case scenario. But that is obviously amazing. RO's holds since since Monday haven't been spectacular, but they've been very far from bad. But the raw #s are just jaw dropping, which sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Donnie Yen was great in Rogue One, don't get me wrong and actors like him deserve all the Hollywood chances they can get. But if all this carefully crafted diversity (talking in general terms here) does not produce any genuine BO advantage then why bother? Just stick to pleasing the core audience that has been carrying Star Wars to the stratosphere for decades. If on the other hand you are the FF franchise...

I don't see any reason to do that. Did the presence of Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen or the others cause a drop in box office for the movie in places were Star Wars is strongest?

It doesn't look like it. Apart from a few deranged people on the far-right and their "boycott", no one was in any way bothered by it and the movie has been a huge success. There is zero reason to assume that the movie would have fared any differently in its biggest markets if more actors from those markets had been in it. People from those countries watch Star Wars because it is Star Wars, not because actors from their country are in it.

Lucasfilm should use the actors they deem to be the best fit for the roles they have - provided they can get them of course - regardless of where they are from.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 13