Porthos

1/3/17 Tuesday Numbers (Asgard) R1 6.4, Sing 6.3

8 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I tried watching it but couldn't get into it. It's like The Help but with more math and more sass. It's overly sassy. Are all black women really that sassy in real life? There's a scene where one of the characters has to use the "colored" bathroom and she has to run there and even that is played with sass and for laughs. Personally I find that more sad than funny. 

I would ask how one sassily runs to the bathroom, but I suspect sassy running ends up being related to the amount of melanin in one's skin while engaging in the act, rather than the way in which a person actually runs. The bathroom sequence is played broadly to start but 

Spoiler

ultimately leads to Katherine venting about the systemic prejudices she faced as she was just trying to do her job, and it led to an easing of some of the overt racism in the workplace

But if some people want to reduce all that to sassy, okay.

7 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I got Hidden Figures the other day, will watch soon but not gonna lie it sounds and looks horribly boring. How is that going to connect with any actual audience besides the navel gazing awards voters?!

I'm not saying everyone will like it or that you personally have to get HF's appeal, but it's no more difficult to watch for general audiences than The Imitation Game or A Beautiful Mind. It's very broad and populist in nature and definitely not only made to appeal to math nerds. It will easily make back its budget and then some; it's not like it's a chess movie--nothing against chess but as a genre, the box office returns are truly Sad!

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

yep, his fandom works like a clock. It doesn't expand but it doesn't shrink. Any reasonably budgeted movie with him in the lead is profitable. Fences isn't an overseas player so 24M vs whatever it makes domestically is going to be a win for everyone. 

Another consistent opener is Tyler Perry. he's usually overlooked when fans talk about drawing power but he has his fandom that supports him and that's more than some overrated names can say. Also, he has added value - Star trek 09 and Gone, Girl benefited from his presence in marketing.

Neither 09 or Gone Girl was really marketed with Perry's name or face, though, so I'm not sure he had much to do with those films success.

He's pretty consistent, although prior to Madea's Halloween, he had a few flops. I think he wisely took a two-year break before directing another film. 

4 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Is this enough of a sacrifice? There must have been at least a few virgins on these planets...

51565ef3-7a3c-4118-89da-c752f7109451.gif

I can smell the stench of sex on those planets, find somewhere is like a fan club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

honestly, that $2.6m from passengers is like, barely drop from its new year eve's figure.....pass scored $2.9m on NYE

I just read a comment elsewhere from when it first opened, saying it wasn't going to make more than 60m domestic. 

Considering the terrible reviews, it's holding remarkably well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Neither 09 or Gone Girl was really marketed with Perry's name or face, though, so I'm not sure he had much to do with those films success.

He's pretty consistent, although prior to Madea's Halloween, he had a few flops. I think he wisely took a two-year break before directing another film. 

They put him in trailers so whether he had an added value remains to be seen but he didn't hurt. STiD didn't have him and the boxoffice dropped. :lol:

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

They put him in trailers so whether he had an added value remains to be seen but he didn't hurt. STiD didn't have him and the boxoffice dropped. :lol:

They didn't put his name in the trailers, and we only saw one brief shot of him during the ST marketing since he basically had only five minutes of screentime throughout the film. :D