grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why does The Rock play the character so stoically and dreary? It Does not fit him at all.  

Because he lacks the acting nuance to play violent antihero with a tragic past any other way. It was this or full blown Hobbs from Fast and Furious. Which we might get with the next movie...

8 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why does The Rock play the character so stoically and dreary? It Does not fit him at all.  

My thoughts too. It's not his wheelhouse and they didn't give the character enough depth (not sure if lack of range or or poor direction) to make up for it. He didn't have much of a motive for most of the film for me to care either. If they'd had him working towards some tangible personal goal or maybe shown more of his conflict earlier maybe?

11 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, the whole fam saw this tonight...

1st, the bad news - my teen girl hated it - viscerally.

The good news - the rest of us LOVED it!  For me, this rivals The Batman as the best supers movie this year.  Yes, it's not perfect, but it's perfect in its imperfection.  It's everything I wanted out of a Black Adam/Hawkman/Dr Fate movie in Khandaq.  All 3 are like they were lifted out of the comics pages.  I completely understand why this movie box office grew through last weekend.

Anyway, for grades...

Me - A-/B+  

Spouse - B+ 

Oldest daughter - B

Teen daughter - No grade - refused and found it beneath her

Oldest son - A-

Youngest son - B+ (he took off a grade for the ending scene - he didn't like it - he's probably the only person in the world who didn't:)

I haven't felt this psyched by a movie since Top Gun 2 - maybe it was the lower expectations, although that didn't help for Superpets or Thor...

Thanks for this joyful review and God Bless those teenagers!! 🤣 The first time around was a bit of a slog for me, but I'm going to see this again on Monday and I'm gonna tell my inner critic to shut up and just go with it like the kid in me first experienced comic books. That's what my friend who's 51- and a huge lover of Kubrick, Nolan, etc- did the other night and he absolutely loved it.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 2:24 PM, kayumanggi said:

That's a better opening than what was estimated after that Fri number. The stronger than expected Sat and Sun numbers are definitely because of 'that' scene. No?

Maybe a 400 M worldwide finish without China.

Which means, with a 200 Million budget, that China will mean the difference  between this film just breaking even and actully getting into profit.

Saw it for the second time today after a so-so first screening, and I gotta say, I had a blast. All the same flaws remain, but there's a cheesy B-movie earnestness to it that was a lot more endearing the second time around.

Not top tier DC, just a fun popcorn flick that introduces some cool characters, and that's enough.

3/4

Edited by A Star is Delayed
  • Like 4

On 10/30/2022 at 10:17 PM, AJG said:

What’s going on with China for this? Any date? Apparently they’ve gone back into lockdown over there.

News from the China Thread

B0835737-5-D09-4-FC1-AAC0-1-E3-D2-E6-C6-

Apparently Pierce Brosnan once mentioned Tibetan Independence and that’s what killed it.

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

News from the China Thread

B0835737-5-D09-4-FC1-AAC0-1-E3-D2-E6-C6-

Apparently Pierce Brosnan once mentioned Tibetan Independence and that’s what killed it.

:ohmygod::insane::ohmyzod::sarah:

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS! IS THE CCP REALLY THAT PETTY?!

Anyway, this movie is now officially a flop. It'll barely outgross Shazam on double the budget. The recent domestic weekdays indicated poor word of mouth, and that it practically needed China to break even. Without them, this movie is pretty much destined to lose money for the studio. That recently completed sequel script will be sitting in the Water Tower for a long time. I'm sure Wakko will enjoy reading it.

Next time we see the character (which will be a reboot in all likelihood), they should cast a different actor, cut the budget in half, give him his classic hair and ears, and make it grittier and more grounded with less CGI drug trips. A character like Black Adam would work far better in the spirit of Deadpool, Logan and Dredd. You shouldn't give him an Avengers-level budget unless you're bringing in Superman and Shazam. Speaking of the latter, if Warner ever comes around to making a third Shazam it would be the perfect place to introduce this hypothetical new Black Adam to audiences. Just my two cents.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester