kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't think SGA strike is going to end by the mid-October. Dicaripio was actively doing marketing leading up to OUATIH but Killer will not have that star power. I am hoping for a $100m total. 

I was adamant on it being mid October before but I'm much more optimistic now. I think negotiations begin as soon as this week.

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't think SGA strike is going to end by the mid-October. Dicaripio was actively doing marketing leading up to OUATIH but Killer will not have that star power. I am hoping for a $100m total. 

Domestic it will sell just based on it being another Leo/Marty joint. Early presales have confirmed for sure. 100m OS should be easy for this movie. There is no reason for this to be front loaded as its going to be a major awards play as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Scorsese loves genre films. What he despises is "content", which Nolan's films aren't.

Scorsese also love auteur filmmakers. That is why he praised Avatar 2 as innovative blockbuster during Cannes film festival despite the movie is totally genre.     

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I was adamant on it being mid October before but I'm much more optimistic now. I think negotiations begin as soon as this week.

I think is already too late. Hard to imagine SGA can strike a deal this fast and marketing can be restarted this easily within days. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Scorsese also love auteur filmmakers. That is why he praised Avatar 2 as innovative blockbuster during Cannes film festival despite the movie is totally genre.     

I think is already too late. Hard to imagine SGA can strike a deal this fast and marketing can be restarted this easily within days. 

For some things, yes. But other things can start up just as fast, those late night shows (which will be starting before the SAG strike ends I think) are gonna need guests.

It's not even that Scorsese loves "shouting about marvel films" or whatever, these questions straight up get asked to him and he answers them, if you want to get mad at someone get mad at yourselves for giving these questions clicks and prompting the interviewers to continue asking them

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

At least Nolan is not beholden to franchise movies. Even during his Batman trilogy days, he made Prestige and Inception. Since then he has avoided sequels even when movies are successful and most filmmakers would have made sequel to something like Inception. Also when Nolan made Bat trilogy, it was not as if SH movies dominated BO across the board. There was diversity in Top 10 that was lacking by late last decade.  

When he made TDK and TDKR there were 3 superhero films in the WW Year End top 10, and guess how many superhero films are on this year's top 10? 3

I love how probably the greatest American filmmaker ever, one of the best living artists, bares his soul about his wife's parkinsons battle, his mortality, his childhood which was shaped by ailments and insecurity, and his hope the art of film and cinema continues to expand horizons and potential... and that's completely overshadowed.

Every new Scorsese film could very well be the last and if you truly love movies, this is yet another event. Seems like presales are good and this might even become his biggest OW

• Like 6

I definitely think people underestimate what a Leo/Scorsese film can do at the box office in a time where we have seen that older 40+ audiences can now drive a blockbuster probably more than teens if it’s the right one. They have always had very impressive box office power for their type of films, this could be a mini Opp if all goes well. Maybe even 200 DOM. 

Marty's perfectly entitled to his opinion (although preferably a less click baity comment would be along the lines of "these movies aren't for me and not the type I would ever make but you know what, good for them finding a formula that clearly works") but honestly I'm just not a fan of the trend of publicly belittling the success of others in general. Although my favorite will always be when one of the founders of Neon (which does have its own Shop/Merchandise section on their website FYI) took this not so subtle shot at A24 for essentially "selling out" and becoming a mainstream(ish) film studio:

“But I can assure you that what we will not be doing is selling $50 candles. It’s just not part of who we are. It feels inauthentic. We’ll continue to focus on the things that are really meaningful – our filmmakers and our audience.”

How Neon Is Shining Bright With Its Pandemic-Proof Business Model – Deadline

Even your favorite indie studios that are "saving cinema" from the Hollywood machine are in perceived competition and giving each other the side-eye lmao.

But yeah, given what a legend Marty is and who knows how much time he has left (and how many movies he has left in him), I would rather the focus be on his amazing career and his latest addition to that incredible filmography than on what he thinks of contemporary blockbuster cinema.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Marty's perfectly entitled to his opinion (although preferably a less click baity comment would be along the lines of "these movies aren't for me and not the type I would ever make but you know what, good for them finding a formula that clearly works") but honestly I'm just not a fan of the trend of publicly belittling the success of others in general.

how is he belittling success when he actively roots and champions other filmmakers and movies every interview he does? he literally has a foundation for restoration 

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

how is he belittling success when he actively roots and champions other filmmakers and movies every interview he does? he literally has a foundation for restoration 

I'm speaking specifically about the comic book movie comments which tend to be of the negative variety every time they are brought up. And automatically (and annoyingly) overshadow everything else cause that's just how the online discourse machine works.

What helps with DiCaprio is that he doesn’t appear in movies as common as his equivalents (think Brad Pitt). He’s only in like one movie every two to three years so it feels like a bigger event when one comes out.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer