Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Small distributors going all in into that fudging game. BH Tilt's 10m is Sony/Disney's 200m

I'm pretty sure I said earlier this weekend that Belko was gonna fudge hard this week. 

The studio bought thousands of dollars of tickets at my theatre alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Bucky can't provide the boost that Cap will. I think they need one of main Avengers in that movie to clearly establish the connection with the MCU.

I think even without Bucky, Black Panther will explode. Marvel picked the perfect spot for it. BP gets a 4 Day weekend with weak competition and opens inside of Black History Month.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Exchange rates really aren't a good excuse for any move missing 1b when there are movies that flew past that number despite bad ER (F8, BatB). GOTG simply didn't connect with OS like those 2 movies and there's no shame in that. It's still doing well. 

This is the point I have been trying to make.

Thanks

• Community Manager

Why does Black Panther need the help of another MCU character to do well? Ant-Man didn't, Guardians didn't, and Dr. Strange didn't. People liked Black Panther in Civil War so if the movie is good, Black Panther will do well.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

IM2, AOU, CW, and IM3 dropped around 59.4-60%, from OW on their second weekend. 2 of them had their second weekend on Mother's Day. GV2 dropped similar to TWS second weekend. It could even go up from estimates. 

But unlike IM2, GotG2 was lucky to have almost no competition this weekend (IM2 had the $36M Robin Hood and $14M Letters to Juliet).

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Why does Black Panther need the help of another MCU character to do well? Ant-Man didn't, Guardians didn't, and Dr. Strange didn't. People liked Black Panther in Civil War so if the movie is good, Black Panther will do well.

Not to mention these cross overs are getting stupid and repetitive, it's a pretty strong indication the story is not where it needs to be. Stop turning every MCU film into a mini Avengers/Civil War. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

But unlike IM2, GotG2 was lucky to have almost no competition this weekend (IM2 had the $36M Robin Hood and $14M Letters to Juliet).

TWS also faced competition from Rio 2. GOTG fought TMNT second weekend. 

Just now, John Marston said:

Alien though will take away imax and other screens

That's a totally fair point.... But I'm still giving Guardians the benefit of the doubt here. The difference in audiences (well, partly at least) might come in handy.

7 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

What you expect for third weekend of the guardians?

$30-35M 

If it does 64 this weekend (-56%) and has a 53% drop next weekend, it still gets to 30.

So 30-33 (down 48-53%) imo.

If it has a very good Sunday this time which tempers it's weekend drop,

then it should compensate for that in next weekend's drop, due to a higher Sun-Sun fall.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, anywhere from 33 to 35M. I don't think Alien is gonna take as much of a bite as if it were a less family-driven MCU film.

Oh alien ... probably finish under $ 100M . I have seen the movie, oh Ridley