Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

From DHD:

GOTG2 is looking at a second weekend between $64M-$66M after a Saturday that was +69% over Friday with $28M. Disney will file their Sunday estimates soon. On the high end, we’re looking at $249.1M by the end of today for GOTG2. 

I might've been wrong about GV2's legs.

Let's see how long this beast lasts.

1 minute ago, Finnick said:

GOTG2 WITH $63.01M, IT WILL GO HIGHER WITH ACTUAL NUMBERS!!!

Yup, I'm also thinking actuals will bring it higher. In any case, good weekend after the doom talk over Friday's number.

Such a deja-vu to last weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

We haven't talked about The Wall's performance yet; it's debuting with a very weak PTA under 2k. That's an outright disaster considering how short the movie is.

It was not Doug Liman enough

• Like 2

Fox predicting a 7% drop for Snatched on Mother's Day.... Hot Pursuit dropped just 2%. I think the actuals will be higher.

$17.5m is better than the projected $16m obviously. 

Should be headed for $45-50m. 

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

I think if any non Avengers/JL CBMs this and next year have a great to do over $350M it's Black Panther and Wonder Woman.

Maybe I'm underestimating Black Panther, it may be the case that it breaks out, but the same applies to Homecoming and Thor 3. As for Wonder Woman, I don't see that doing much more than $200M. The trailers have not excited too much, and Gadot for me was the wrong choice for the role. It should have gone to Olga Kurylenko. 

Will Captain America be in the Black Panther movie? 

I don't get much right these days anymore but if that estimate holds for Guardians of the Galaxy part 2 then I called it pretty much down to the exact dollar.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Maybe I'm underestimating Black Panther, it may be the case that it breaks out, but the same applies to Homecoming and Thor 3. As for Wonder Woman, I don't see that doing much more than $200M. The trailers have not excited too much, and Gadot for me was the wrong choice for the role. It should have gone to Olga Kurylenko. 

Will Captain America be in the Black Panther movie? 

I could also see SMH and TR breaking out too. 

23 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'll worry about a "team up" issue when one of these films grosses less than $200m DOM. I can't really feel bad about a CW movie that grossed $400m DOM/$1B WW making "less and less" than its predecessors.

There isn't a real issue cause they are still making money. But the idea that more = more is not working and budgets are bigger while grosses are smaller. Still, those movies are big trailers for toy lines anyway and those sales matter more (though doubtful than some of the less prominent SH that are shoe-horned in those movies sell as many toys as the main 3 or 4). 

Overseas numbers are the real disappointment for GV2 here. It will barely increase form the first film, though it's obviously bogged down by China not really responding to it and more importantly terrible exchange rates. With exchange rates of the first film this would've done close to a billion WW. Obviously still a huge success, though.

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Overseas numbers are the real disappointment for GV2 here. It will barely increase form the first film, though it's obviously bogged down by China not really responding to it and more importantly terrible exchange rates. With exchange rates of the first film this would've done close to a billion WW. Obviously still a huge success, though.

Exchange rates really aren't a good excuse for any move missing 1b when there are movies that flew past that number despite bad ER (F8, BatB). GOTG simply didn't connect with OS like those 2 movies and there's no shame in that. It's still doing well.