grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Last Deep Wang update for some time because of the movies not being worth it, and him going on vacation for a while.

• Annabelle has sold as much as Dark Tower did last week, and ahead of Conjuring 2
  • Nut Job is about a seventh of Emoji
  • Hitman's Bodyguard is ROTFLMAO

Nut Job 2 1/7th of Emoji? - Wow!  That translates to an opening of about $3.5M - probably about right for its coming quality...but damn, maybe audiences are finally wising up to the crappy animated sequels this summer and just saying "rejected!"...

Edited by TwoMisfits

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I'm not really feeling The Hitman's Bodyguard either. The ad campaign just isn't funny enough. Will be surprised if it opens higher than Snatched did.

Having seen both it and Logan Lucky's trailers...I think Logan Lucky's is funnier...and I'm actually hoping the PG-13 is a little refreshing after so many Rs this summer...

They really shouldn't both be opening the same weekend - shame one never moved to the 25th...

1. The Dark Tower was hardly presale driven

2. This is fine for Annabelle. It should be doing a bit more for anything over 25M, but it should still hit 20M

3. I wouldn't expect high presales for THB or Logan Lucky right now

• Like 1

Hitman's Bodyguard isn't really the type of movie I would bring up pre-sales for. It's an original comedy starring Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson.

Are we just gonna forget that Baby Driver was at 75% of Baywatch? Granted, a movie like Baywatch could have bigger pre-sales than usual for a comedy, but it still did poorly starting from OW.

Also, if Annabelle 2 is outpacing Conjuring 2, that tells me that horror movies are also more walkup driven. No way Annabelle reaches C2, obviously, but it's probably gonna do something in the 20's.

• Like 2

I am not really looking forward to anything before "It". I saw the preview for "Mother" and could not figure out what it was about. It seemed eerily similar to that Nicole Kidman ghost movie, whose name escapes me right now. "Annabelle 2" looks too scary for me to see at the movies. Need to be home to see it. 

• Like 1

I'm not expecting Hitman's Bodyguard or Logan Lucky to have strong presales. There's zero reason for either of those films to be pre-sale driven. 

Theyre both original comedies. Their stars aren't exactly Leonardo DiCaprio, in that they have a built in fan base. 

Even a movie like Baby Driver which had Edgar Wright's fan base did poorly in presales.

Or take a film like Atomic Blonde that wasn't doing too hot in presales and still did $18M+ its OW. 

Hitman's Bodyguard is one of my most anticipated films of the summer and I haven't bought tickets for it yet. Why? Because there's zero reason for me to buy the tickets this far out.  

Having said that, I'm not expecting huge OW from either. I think both will end up in the $15M with $20M being the max for either one. 

• Like 3

Over the course of ten minutes, Annabelle popped up 55 times on Pulse and Nut Job and Glass Castle just 3 times a piece.

Last week at this time, Dark Tower was at 42, so I think Annabelle is far enough ahead to stand a chance at 25 for the weekend. Glass Castle and Nut Job are obviously in terrible shape. By comparison, Emoji was at 22 at the same point. Not expecting over 10 for Nut Job at this point and wouldn't be surprised if it completely tanks. Even Kidnap and Detroit were close to 10 tickets at the same point last week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nomyth said:

Over the course of ten minutes, Annabelle popped up 55 times on Pulse and Nut Job and Glass Castle just 3 times a piece.

Last week at this time, Dark Tower was at 42, so I think Annabelle is far enough ahead to stand a chance at 25 for the weekend. Glass Castle and Nut Job are obviously in terrible shape. By comparison, Emoji was at 22 at the same point. Not expecting over 10 for Nut Job at this point and wouldn't be surprised if it completely tanks. Even Kidnap and Detroit were close to 10 tickets at the same point last week.

lmao, that's disastrous for The Nut Job.

I'm not going to put too much weight into Glass Castle's presales simply because it doesn't have a very wide TC and it's not the type of movie to be presales driven.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

lmao, that's disastrous for The Nut Job.

I'm not going to put too much weight into Glass Castle's presales simply because it doesn't have a very wide TC and it's not the type of movie to be presales driven.

Yeah, honestly, my gut reaction is that Nut Job will pull a Wimpy Kid and gross like 6-7M.

You're right, Glass Castle is doing fine enough for the type of release it is. Could still pull a 3k+ pta.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nomyth said:

Yeah, honestly, my gut reaction is that Nut Job will pull a Wimpy Kid and gross like 6-7M.

You're right, Glass Castle is doing fine enough for the type of release it is. Could still pull a 3k+ pta.

Nut Job 2 is gonna compete for biggest animated sequel OW % drop ever...probably couldn't happen to a better movie:)...

5 hours ago, Diana Prince said:

I am not really looking forward to anything before "It". I saw the preview for "Mother" and could not figure out what it was about. It seemed eerily similar to that Nicole Kidman ghost movie, whose name escapes me right now. "Annabelle 2" looks too scary for me to see at the movies. Need to be home to see it. 

Is it Stoker you're referring to? I checked it out because it was directed by Park Chan Wook. I didn't like it. Not one bit.

• Like 1