grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Century Arden ain't fucking around.  Already have four showings 2am and later locally (2am 3D | 2am PLF 2D .| 2:05am, 2:20am 2D)

They only do that for the biggest of the biggest blockbusters.

No..... really? Wow, that’s unbelievable. Who would expect such a thing :thinking:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Interestingly enough, they're allowing four hours between screenings on their PLF screen (6pm, 10pm, 2am). Looking like 3:55 and 3:50 on their screen devoted to 3D (if it is the same auditorium).  So, let's say between 3 hours, 50 and 4 hours between screenings?

Checking other theaters, four hours between screenings seems to be more or less the median time.

This is actually important, I think.  As I scan around town, I'm not seeing much below three hours, fifty minutes between screenings.

Can't tell for sure without the auditorium numbers.  And maybe the smaller auidorioums they'll try to squeeze it a bit due it theoretically taking less time to clean and re-seat.  Still, 3:50 to 4:05 looks to the ballpark for lengths between screenings.

@VenomXXR, you seeing the same thing at your local theaters?

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

No..... really? Wow, that’s unbelievable. Who would expect such a thing :thinking:

You mock, but I'm serious here.  Having screenings much later than 1am (1:30a at the latest) in the morning here really is nearly unheard of.  I recall it happening for RotK back in the day.  It happened for TFA, for instance and TLJ to a lesser degree IIRC.

But it didn't happen for Infinity War, as I check my spreadsheet.

I mean it when I say this town shuts down around 10pm to midnight.  Having super super late night showings is hecka rare here and, yes, notable.  Especially since it didn't happen for IW.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is actually important, I think.  As I scan around town, I'm not seeing much below three hours, fifty minutes between screenings.

Can't tell for sure without the auditorium numbers.  And maybe the smaller auidorioums they'll try to squeeze it a bit due it theoretically taking less time to clean and re-seat.  Still, 3:50 to 4:05 looks to the ballpark for lengths between screenings.

@VenomXXR, you seeing the same thing at your local theaters?

Yes sir, the IMAX at the 30 screener is at 6pm - 10pm - 2am. Every gap has been 4 hours except for 2 errant 3:50 ones and that was for a Dolby Prime at a 16 screen location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

You mock, but I'm serious here.  Having screenings much later than 1am (1:30a at the latest) in the morning here really is nearly unheard of.  I recall it happening for RotK back in the day.  It happened for TFA, for instance and TLJ to a lesser degree IIRC.

But it didn't happen for Infinity War, as I check my spreadsheet.

I mean it when I say this town shuts down around 10pm to midnight.  Having super super late night showings is hecka rare here and, yes, notable.  Especially since it didn't happen for IW.

Well, considering what IW did on OW and the hype for EG, they probably realised they made a boo-boo last time and don't want to repeat that this time around. 

Edited by reddevil19

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Well, considering what IW did on OW and the hype for EG, they probably realised they made a boo-boo last time and don't want to repeat that this time around. 

I think the 3 hour run time has a bit to do with it as well.

Now it is a little surprising there weren't 1am or 1:30am showings for IW locally on its preview night, as the 12:30am and 12:45am showings did very well (around 75% of capacity as I check final counts).  But its not like there was a shortage of times here, either.

I guess I am just noting that Endgame is already moving away from the upper tier of Marvel movies and starting to approach the SW mainline saga tier of movies when it comes to overnight showings here.

(So far it's only Century Arden that is doing this locally - for instance the local True IMAX theater isn't setting up an overnight screening for Endgame yet.  But I suspect if Arden is doing this at least a couple of other theaters locally will follow suit)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

ProBO has EG at 265m OW?  How is it supposed to beat IW's OW at 30 minutes longer. I assume 1 less show per day per screen

It has a 15% deficit in shows I assume

? more theater and showing perhaps ? why runntime will affect it that much ,i dont believe that it will loose many 

Edited by john2000

1 minute ago, POTUS 2020 said:

ProBO has EG at 265m OW?  How is it supposed to beat IW's OW at 30 minutes longer. I assume 1 less show per day per screen

It has a 15% deficit in shows I assume

It will get more screens and more showtimes in late night I guess. 3hr. Is not that big of a time if planned accordingly. 

Fan Event is starting at 5PM for other blockbuster they start at 7PM.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

? more theater and showing perhaps ? why runntime will affect it that much ,i dont believe that it will loose many 

Yes more showings. 

Fan Event is starting at 5PM first usual show at 6PM it's starting 2hr. Early than usual blockbuster. 

On 3/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

10:50AM .....Destiny Arrives

18.1% I Can Only Imagine

15.1% Black Panther

12.6% Wrinkle in Time, A

12.3% Tomb Raider

9% Avengers: Infinity War

On 3/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, Daenys said:

1. Avengers: Infinity War 27.4%

2. I Can Only Imagine 15.3%

3. Black Panther 11.8%

4.Tomb Raider 10.1%

5. A Wrinkle In Time 9.9%

On 3/16/2018 at 9:53 PM, Durden said:

Comparison for EG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YSLDC said:

How can you get more showings than Infinity War? Other movies have contracts too. Shazam, Hellboy, 

The vast majority of theater contracts are for 2 weeks - both will be over by then. 

Even for films opening the week before - La Lorna, Breakthrough and Penguins  can lose screens and  showings if not theaters

But there are 40k+ screens in the U.S. and AIW probably didn't even have 50% of them - there's room for more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YSLDC said:

How can you get more showings than Infinity War? Other movies have contracts too. Shazam, Hellboy, 

The biggest hurdle is the two week rule.  Movies that are less than two weeks old, for the most part, cannot be touched.  Though, like everything in the theater business is dependent on each location. Not every movie plays the same all across the country and what does gangbusters in some parts, might do absolute shit in others.  

So let's look at the two weeks before Endgame:

4/12

After

Hellboy

Little

Missing Link

4/17

Breakthrough

Penguins

4/19

La Llorona

That's a big old pile of nothing.

By the time Endgame opens, it will be Shazam's 4th weekend. Let's say Shazam opens in the range of Aquaman - $67m.  Aquaman was at 'only' $17m on it's 4th weekend which was $4500/theater at 3863 theaters. Maybe it does more, maybe it does less.  

That's nothing compared to what Endgame is going to pull.  Not to even talk about the nothing gross that Hellboy is going to fart out. 

Bookers and theaters are going to be very prepared for Endgame.  I mentioned it before but there will be a "steal" plan set up when the schedule is made.  You schedule a movie in the system when you publish it, but it will actually end up being an Endgame show once the weekend hits.  I bet Shazam would still probably be on 2 screens or so at most places, but that second screen will more than likely belong to Endgame on the weekend and then its Shazam's again during the week.  It will be that way for every single movie that isn't CM/Dumbo/and Penguins(but those will likely just have one screen and be in the smallest theater anyway).

You will also coordinate with your booker as the weekend unfolds and as you start to get the grosses on other movies.  You can always try and ask to see if you can steal more and if you can you will.  Sometimes the bookers can't get approval for and you have to play a movie that is selling 5 tickets a shows, lol.

Trust me, everyone is going to be extremely prepared for this.  They will squeeze out as many showings as they possibly can.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The biggest hurdle is the two week rule.  Movies that are less than two weeks old, for the most part, cannot be touched.  Though, like everything in the theater business is dependent on each location. Not every movie plays the same all across the country and what does gangbusters in some parts, might do absolute shit in others.  

So let's look at the two weeks before Endgame:

4/12

After

Hellboy

Little

Missing Link

4/17

Breakthrough

Penguins

4/19

La Llorona

That's a big old pile of nothing.

By the time Endgame opens, it will be Shazam's 4th weekend. Let's say Shazam opens in the range of Aquaman - $67m.  Aquaman was at 'only' $17m on it's 4th weekend which was $4500/theater at 3863 theaters. Maybe it does more, maybe it does less.  

That's nothing compared to what Endgame is going to pull.  Not to even talk about the nothing gross that Hellboy is going to fart out. 

Bookers and theaters are going to be very prepared for Endgame.  I mentioned it before but there will be a "steal" plan set up when the schedule is made.  You schedule a movie in the system when you publish it, but it will actually end up being an Endgame show once the weekend hits.  I bet Shazam would still probably be on 2 screens or so at most places, but that second screen will more than likely belong to Endgame on the weekend and then its Shazam's again during the week.  It will be that way for every single movie that isn't CM/Dumbo/and Penguins(but those will likely just have one screen and be in the smallest theater anyway).

You will also coordinate with your booker as the weekend unfolds and as you start to get the grosses on other movies.  You can always try and ask to see if you can steal more and if you can you will.  Sometimes the bookers can't get approval for and you have to play a movie that is selling 5 tickets a shows, lol.

Trust me, everyone is going to be extremely prepared for this.  They will squeeze out as many showings as they possibly can.

Wow that was a very good analysis. So CM will not loose much screen during Endgame release. Why?