grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I really don't think anything coming out this month gets moved. I said this in the movie's thread but No Time to Die is really all MGM has this year in terms of big bets that have a lot riding on it (while Disney, Universal, WB, Sony, etc. have plenty that they can afford a potential loss) so it makes sense as to why they would move it to a spot where it would have the strongest chance of succeeding. It never made sense to release Bond in April anyway after how the franchise has flourished as a holiday attraction for so long.

True, I think they will probably be a delay for the odd film but I just don't see the studios all moving their tentpole en masse to say late summer/Autumn. 

• Like 2

I think next one that should be moved is Mulan. Black Widow can wait until April to make the decision. Beyond that let us keep fingers crossed that spring time reduces spread of COVID-19 and movies can go ahead with releases. 

Also movies that dont do much in OS markets can go ahead. I dont see a reason to move bloodshot or A Quiet Place 2. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think next one that should be moved is Mulan. Black Widow can wait until April to make the decision. Beyond that let us keep fingers crossed that spring time reduces spread of COVID-19 and movies can go ahead with releases. 

Also movies that dont do much in OS markets can go ahead. I dont see a reason to move bloodshot or A Quiet Place 2. 

Things could break out in US like it did in South Korea and looking at the handling so far from the government it looks like it is heading that way. If it happens, DOM market will be heavily affected too. But I agree those movies depending heavily on OS markets should definitely move. It maybe too late for Onwards but Mulan should 100% move. As for Black Widow it should start looking to lock down a date before others take it. F9 is still a bit away and somewhat safe for now 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Assuming delays as primarily OS driven seems wrong. DOM could easily be equally or more impacted than OS soon.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

The thing is, we might be seeing a Coronavirus impact right now but it's hard to say because there are no blockbuster-sized movies out at the moment (that aren't already heading out of theaters anyway). Any delays would likely be very last second decisions.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The thing is, we might be seeing a Coronavirus impact right now but it's hard to say because there are no blockbuster-sized movies out at the moment (that aren't already heading out of theaters anyway). Any delays would likely be very last second decisions.

i agree, i think that if black widow is going to move it will probably be announced in april , still they could decide now, as we dont have a sec trailer for black widow yet , as for fast 9 i think the same tactic applies here, again if they decide to move them

Regarding Black Widow, I do believe they should delay, but not just because of Coronavirus.

Doctor Strange 2 isn't going to meet it's planned release date in 14 months from now. Despite the Sam Raimi rumors a month ago, there is still no director attached. That film will need to be delayed anyway. I previously suggested Shang Chi move from February to May, while Strange gets Thor's November spot, and Thor goes to Spring 2022.

I still think that all happens, but it's now making sense to also delay Widow to the Fall, and Eternals to the Shang Chi spot.

I'm sure Disney/Marvel will wait several more weeks before making moves, but I think these kinds of moves are inevitable. Even if Widow doesn't delay, there will need to be a shuffle around Doctor Strange 2 not being in production on schedule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Regarding Black Widow, I do believe they should delay, but not just because of Coronavirus.

Doctor Strange 2 isn't going to meet it's planned release date in 14 months from now. Despite the Sam Raimi rumors a month ago, there is still no director attached. That film will need to be delayed anyway. I previously suggested Shang Chi move from February to May, while Strange gets Thor's November spot, and Thor goes to Spring 2022.

I still think that all happens, but it's now making sense to also delay Widow to the Fall, and Eternals to the Shang Chi spot.

I'm sure Disney/Marvel will wait several more weeks before making moves, but I think these kinds of moves are inevitable. Even if Widow doesn't delay, there will need to be a shuffle around Doctor Strange 2 not being in production on schedule.

the sam raimi thing was not rumors at all, he is official in talks , and if i remember correctly  he was going to appear on an event that now he will be a filming on a movie,  , still lets see how that will go 

Edited by john2000

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Raimi has been working on it for a while and they’re fully on track for DS2’s date.

• Like 1

Despite the Sam Raimi rumors a month ago, there is still no director attached

I'm pretty sure Raimi is attached but Marvel just isn't officially announcing it until SDCC. It's like how Marvel didn't announce The Eternals and Black Widow until SDCC eventhough everyone following MCU behind the scenes news knew that they were the next two MCU movies months before. If anything there will be a delay due to shooting/location issues.

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Although, coronavirus induced production delays could wreak havoc on the 2021 schedule. We’ll see how that develops.

the  mcu tv shows ,spiderman 3 and thor 4 will will start filming on summer so they are ok for now, as for shang shi i think that it will probably be ok , imo only doctor strange is uncertain right now, still we have 2 months for that so lets see how it will unfold

I don't think people realize this. What will happen to The Batman in two weeks when England is on lockdown?

if that happens, then they will probably see, if they can  start filming again at a later time and still make the release in june of 2021 if not it will be moved

it depends spidey will start for now filming in july, with a july release 2021 so maybe batman can too

Edited by john2000

9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Although, coronavirus induced production delays could wreak havoc on the 2021 schedule. We’ll see how that develops.

The "wait and see" approach is gonna apply to everything, really, not just film distribution (and running around like Chicken Little screaming "the sky is falling" doesn't help anyone). Yes, the Coronavirus situation is unfortunate (though it seems the ones at biggest risk are ones with weak immune systems like the elderly), but life goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1