grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

He's a Disney stan, that's why. 

you are blind or what ? i said 

i just said that it wouldnt be terrible as some people are making out to be , thats all 

ps i am a pixar fan but ok , 

Edited by john2000

Jeez, Brave opened to 66m in 2012 - Higher than Sonic's 58m. 

Pixar has such pedigree and they deserve it.

Date Rank Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 22, 2012 1 $24,635,336     4,164 $5,916   $24,635,336 1
Jun 23, 2012 1 $23,682,115 -4%   4,164 $5,687   $48,317,451 2
Jun 24, 2012 1 $18,006,143 -24%   4,164 $4,324   $66,323,594 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Jeez, Brave opened to 66m in 2012 - Higher than Sonic's 58m. 

Pixar has such pedigree and they deserve it.

Date Rank Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 22, 2012 1 $24,635,336     4,164 $5,916   $24,635,336 1
Jun 23, 2012 1 $23,682,115 -4%   4,164 $5,687   $48,317,451 2
Jun 24, 2012 1 $18,006,143 -24%   4,164 $4,324   $66,323,594 3

the animation genre in general i think that it sometimes is being overlooked

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I have not tracked that long to have any comparisons. But since my data is big enough to be extrapolated on its own. 

I want to see huge OD PS jump. Even if it does better than Sonic on PS to OD BO, it still needs to go way higher to have reasonable Friday BO. 

thanks

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

@lorddemaxus Does this tracking make you confident in your Scoob! prediction?

Scoob!'s gonna be the first family film releasing after coronavirus clears up so none of this tracking stuff matters. People are gonna want to watch an epic family film like Sonic (the last great family film before coronavirus outbreak) so of course, I'm still confident. 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Scoob!'s gonna be the first family film releasing after coronavirus clears up so none of this tracking stuff matters.

Did I miss the delay announcement :thinking:

• Like 1

I think it's adorable you guys are trying to predict legs for films like Onward when the issue that is causing 70% moviegoing drops across the world is spreading in the states. Who knows what the numbers would look like today if the CDC had it's crap together and we were able to test properly. Who knows how many actual cases there are at the moment. Whenever those tests start functioning, I'd expect a quick rise in numbers, and a quicker rise in self-isolation.

Any talk of legs right now is bunk.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

you do know that most pixars original have ow of like 45-55 right ?  its the legs that help them big time

ps lol other than frozen 1 and 2 and zootopia all the other of walt disney animation movies have ow in the range of 55 and ww total of 650 or so wtf are you saying mate

ps2 1-1,2 billion is not just big its huge for an animated movie

The thing is though, most Pixar originals do not open to $45-55M on their 3-day openings. Only Coco and Ratatouille have. The median for a Pixar original opening is $62.6M and the average is $57.8M. Majority of Pixar originals have opened to $60-70M in their opening weekends.

Onward opening to $45-55M would be fine, though still below average for Pixar originals, and it wouldn’t guarantee $200M DOM. It doesn’t need $1-1.2B to be a success, but even $500M is up in the air right now.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

The thing is though, most Pixar originals do not open to $45-55M on their 3-day openings. Only Coco and Ratatouille have. The median for a Pixar original opening is $62.6M and the average is $57.8M. Majority of Pixar originals have opened to $60-70M in their opening weekends.

Onward opening to $45-55M would be fine, though still below average for Pixar originals, and it wouldn’t guarantee $200M DOM.

i didnt say that 200 mill is guaranted , i said it if follows the trend, thats all ,anyway that a conversation, that still has ways to go, lets see the ow first :)

Edited by john2000

People have already started hoarding food supplies. 

I don't think next 2 mnths are good for box office. 

I personally is not going to such large gatherings until June/July. 

Onward, AQP2, Mulan and No time to Die are going to suffer. 

The main question is what will happen to Black Widow, FF9 and WW84. Are studios going to change schedule? 

• Disbelief 2

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Scoob!'s gonna be the first family film releasing after coronavirus clears up so none of this tracking stuff matters. People are gonna want to watch an epic family film like Sonic (the last great family film before coronavirus outbreak) so of course, I'm still confident. 

Scoob under Onward easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

I agree with @ChipDerby's stance that Onward is the least "Pixar"-looking offering to come from them since The Good Dinosaur, at least on a surface level. It honestly seems more akin to a DreamWorks Animation offering from their heyday in which the hook is big stars in a wacky animated adventure than anything from Pixar (or even Disney's own animation house).

Between that and everyone freaking out about Coronavirus, no one should be surprised if it ends up among Pixar's lowest-grossing movies.

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Only if Scoob goes straight to HBOmax

Warner

Animation 

Group.

Onward will at least do 140M, which is Scoob’s ceiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Again I think we’re overestimating the impact of Coronavirus. If Onward underperforms, it’s because marketing didn’t connect, and didn’t look good enough for Pixar. The first warning sign was in January where it failed to make the most anticipated family film list for Fandango in 2020 where IIRC both Dolittle and Sonic made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

you think onward , could hit 55- 60 if it picks up ?

I’m not the best at this tracking thing. Hell, North Shore isn’t even in the top 10 biggest theaters of Wisconsin. I think 55M at most could happen if it’s more walk up based but 40M-50M seems most likely.