grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

The new Saw movie is getting sandwiched between Black Widow and Fast 9, if they keep their release dates.

I understand Black Widow and Fast 9 might get delayed because of their blockbuster status. Now Saw ( Spiral ) is a smaller movie and is already completed ( like New Mutants, for example ).

Could smaller movies ( horror, indie ) get moved up? They aren't heavily dependent on foreign grosses, so that could be something.

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Raimi has been working on it for a while and they’re fully on track for DS2’s date.

This is known how? What casting announcements have there been? Filming dates announced?

I'm not sure how you can say a blockbuster film is "fully on track" to release in 14 months when the studio hasn't even confirmed a replacement director. Doctor Strange 1 started filming 12 months before release. This film doesn't strike me as being ready to film in 2 months. And such a VFX heavy film as this is will need to start filming a year out.

Hell, Shang Chi is supposed to release in 11 months and it doesn't appear filming has commenced either.

Both these films, if the intention is to film globally, will be running into issues as well.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The "wait and see" approach is gonna apply to everything, really, not just film distribution (and running around like Chicken Little screaming "the sky is falling" doesn't help anyone). Yes, the Coronavirus situation is unfortunate (though it seems the ones at biggest risk are ones with weak immune systems like the elderly), but life goes on.

It actually is helpful to note that the sky is falling when the sky is, in fact, falling.    

Coronavirus situation is much worse than many still realize. I don’t want people to react with panic, but realizing the seriousness of the situation and taking appropriate steps would be beneficial.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Although, coronavirus induced production delays could wreak havoc on the 2021 schedule. We’ll see how that develops.

I think the ones at risk are Matrix 4, Jurassic World Dominion, Mission Impossible 7, and Dr Strange since they have only recently started filming or haven't started filming yet. The Batman is well into shooting and could easily fast track on-location shoots and finish those by the end of April, Spider-man 3 won't start shooting until late July when the virus might have died off, untitled Pixar film is animated so will be unaffected, and The Suicide Squad has complete shooting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Coronavirus situation is much worse than many still realize. I don’t want people to react with panic, but realizing the seriousness of the situation and taking appropriate steps would be beneficial.

Seriously, I really can’t fathom how there’s people on here who are trying to downplay the situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

This is known how? What casting announcements have there been? Filming dates announced?

I'm not sure how you can say a blockbuster film is "fully on track" to release in 14 months when the studio hasn't even confirmed a replacement director. Doctor Strange 1 started filming 12 months before release. This film doesn't strike me as being ready to film in 2 months. And such a VFX heavy film as this is will need to start filming a year out.

Hell, Shang Chi is supposed to release in 11 months and it doesn't appear filming has commenced either.

Both these films, if the intention is to film globally, will be running into issues as well.

shang shi has already start filming, mid to late janurary actually

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think the ones at risk are Matrix 4, Jurassic World Dominion, Mission Impossible 7, and Dr Strange since they have only recently started filming or haven't started filming yet. The Batman is well into shooting and could easily fast track on-location shoots and finish those by the end of April, Spider-man 3 won't start shooting until late July when the virus might have died off, untitled Pixar film is animated so will be unaffected, and The Suicide Squad has complete shooting.

aha  and shang shi will probably be ok too, so the 4 movies that you said have a possibility to be affected

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

2020 is turning out to be the worst year in a while. 

I was mentioning that to my spouse - pretty much, my date is July 2019 onward...lost my family's 2 remaining grandparents (my grandmom and my spouse's grandmom), my mom in Jan (at 69) (my last remaining parent - my spouse's are both still alive), and now this...I'm waiting for the year to end in June, so the shoes can stop dropping...

EDIT: And now I find out today my 8 year old nephew needs open heart surgery next Thursday...sigh...when it rains, it pours!  If anyone wants to send thoughts and prayers to Will, I'd appreciate it...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 9

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the decision to delay No Time to Die was down to MGM and the Broccolis rather than Universal?  

could be as bond is the only movie that will be for sure successfull for mgm,  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the decision to delay No Time to Die was down to MGM and the Broccolis rather than Universal?  

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've said it already, but what else does MGM have this year that's expected to make a gobsmacking amount of money? The Bill & Ted revival? The Aretha Franklin biopic? It makes sense they would move their big bet to another time of year (especially when the franchise has been a mainstay during the holidays for so long to begin with).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've said it already, but what else does MGM have this year that's expected to make a gobsmacking amount of money? The Bill & Ted revival? The Aretha Franklin biopic? It makes sense they would move their big bet to another time of year (especially when the franchise has been a mainstay during the holidays for so long to begin with).

No Time to Die is MGM's first Bond film they've distributed themselves in quite some time as Sony handled the last four films, they likely couldn't afford to take the hit financially given they get a lot of the profits from Bond along with the Broccolis. 

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think next one that should be moved is Mulan. Black Widow can wait until April to make the decision. Beyond that let us keep fingers crossed that spring time reduces spread of COVID-19 and movies can go ahead with releases. 

Also movies that dont do much in OS markets can go ahead. I dont see a reason to move bloodshot or A Quiet Place 2. 

I agree - I'd bump Mulan.

I'd actually move up Peter Rabbit to Mulan's spot - it's not gonna make any money opening after Easter, so might as well get as much as possible before...

I'd also bump Black Widow and Fast 9 (and either Spongebob or Scoob - not sure which has more international draw and a bigger budget off the top of my head).

I'd actually move New Mutants into the Widow spot...for the next 2 months, box office might get slaughtered, so movies will hang around and get what they get...when they can get it...and this way, you split the Easter kid movies and then the supers open...