grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Not even close. Detective pikachu has way more hype than dumbo did when it released 

I could care less about but 22 % higher rotten tomatoes rating 

Detective pikachu is more of comedy film.

dumbo is cute but serious 

Many of my friends didn't see Dumbo because it's just too dang depressing.

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Not even close. Detective pikachu has way more hype than dumbo did when it released 

In terms of tracking, I mean. I think DP will see the same kind of weekend pattern as Dumbo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

:winomg:

1 minute ago, Neucentro said:

In terms of tracking, I mean. I think DP will see the same kind of weekend pattern as Dumbo.

I think Pikachu will have a smaller IM though but yea it’s a comp at my theater for Pikachu 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Perfundle said:

Why would a studio do this? Is it like a tit-for-tat thing, where they allow other movies to take their showings if they get to reciprocate in the future?

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Smaller studios like STX simply have less bargaining power than bigger studios like Disney. If a theatre doesn't want to play an STX flop longer than they have to, what's STX gonna do? Not let them play the next STX flop? Same can't be said for Disney, where movie theatres practically NEED Disney content to keep their doors open.

I'm grossly oversimplifying this, and leaving out what is likely a long and complicated process of negotiations and deals. Basically, the gist of it is that while a studio like STX may have a 2-week deal with a theatre to keep their movie, that deal may not include multiple screens, or even an entire screen to itself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think theres an interesting aspect at play here. In a pokefan vs casual movie goer not in BO so much but response. Casual fans may love seeing the pokemon creatures and accept story as is. Pokemon fans....will there be a bit of division of fans who love seeing their fav poke on screen and story  vs fans who will want a more "pokemon" style story going forward like the games and tv show?

Im going to be interested in what type of pokemon story they want going forward and what direction a sequel heads in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think Pikachu will have a smaller IM though but yea it’s a comp at my theater for Pikachu 

Yeah, Thursday previews will make up a bigger percentage of Friday.  We will probably see a lower Saturday increase. But Mother's Day should soften Sunday's drop.

• Like 1

Dumbo makes sense for a good comparison for Pikachu:

- Both older skewing but show through presales that they’re family friendly

- Reviews may be about similar

- Beloved property getting a live action adaptation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Games ain't movies.

Nothing else needs to be said.

====

Okay, I'll say something else: Yes some movies and genres are more critic proof than others [horror especially], but to say critical reception has NO impact really is ignoring the vast amount of evidence out there.  Films like Venom are the exception, not the rule.

How the GA outside of the targeted main demos of a movie react to critical reception is how something goes from expected numbers to breakout hit.  Even the horror genre sees this, prime example being It.

Also Venom had rly mediocre legs, it got kicked out of the Top 10 iirc.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Also Venom had rly mediocre legs, it got kicked out of the Top 10 iirc.

Here's how I've put it in the past.  Reviews from critics are the twilight period between buzz and WOM. They are the very very last factor of buzz and the initial start of WOM, especially on social media.

Sometimes the buzz is strong enough to withstand a critical mauling.  Or the critical mauling is already factored into the buzz (this is where the idea of things being critic proof come in, IMO).  And sometime the WOM isn't the same as the buzz after all.

And, yes, critical response can help enhance the buzz/WOM.  Doesn't always mean it'll go hand-in-hand with WOM. That's why I said it's the "start of WOM".  Where the WOM goes once more of the GA gets a look at the film can be its own thing.

So, reviews are part of buzz/WOM.  Sometimes a larger part than other times.  Sometimes a much smaller part than other times.  That's how I view reviews at least.  A part of the overall conversation of movies but neither the end all or be all or a big fat nothing burger.

• Like 3

Hot damn! Just checked and my local theaters all have midnight shows listed for Far From Home on Monday night!

It's been a while, and I can't wait! I've missed midnights.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Seems like movie tickets top 5 hasn’t updated in 2 hours 

all the % are same 

Movie tickets doesn't update after 8PM and resumes updating around 8AM

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1