grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, dakus said:

Wouldnt you have to account for the steady increase in online ticket sales/presales since 2015 too though? That would lower the gap in absolute sales recorded by MT to an extent. 

At the same time, lack of PLF (for the most part) and matinee showings also skew the pic.

Still trying to figure out how to balance it for my final report.  I might just report a percentage of various movies and let folks do their own adjustments.

(BTW, both JW2 and AM2 had around 35% of their local sales on PLF screens)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Quick question about BOP tracking, do they do daily reports now? I'm assuming they'll do an adjustment based on tomorrow?

They give updates throughout the weekend. No updates tomorrow. Probably will get an update for the weekend on Saturday for how the weekend is playing out. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

They give updates throughout the weekend. No updates tomorrow. Probably will get an update for the weekend on Saturday for how the weekend is playing out. 

Ah I see, thank you.

Edited by Cappoedameron

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good point. But I doubt it doubled since then. But you never know. Otherway is to track where it ends tomorrow. Relative % between Endgame/Pikachu vs JW/IO would be good comparison.

It's impossible to know how much online ticket sales have grown in the last few years, which is also why comparing data points to past figures from years ago, in a different season, etc. isn't going to necessary give you valid comparisons. 

Has it doubled since 2015? Doubtful, as that same year Force Awakens had plenty of online ticket sales. But it certainly has grown. 

Also, JW was way more walk up heavy than any MCU film, so that would have affected it's representation on MT during the week. 

Again, makes it really hard to compare data points.

All that to say, we still really have no idea where Pika Pika is headed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm really hoping both Endgame and Detective Pikachu finish the weekend with $70M+. That would be a good lookin' weekend!

How dare you root for two competing movies. You shame this forum

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Good for KOTM?

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'd say so but @Porthos knows better.

FB2 was at 428 sets of tickets for a 48 hour span according to CoolEric258's post from last Oct that I pulled up a few hours back. I'd say fairly good all things considered, since we don't know the difference in theater penetration at the time.  I'll give the view of Sacramento in a couple of hours. 

At least in the same ballpark, probably a little better, is what I would say.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

They still haven't even announced ticket sales yet right? So selling hundreds of tickets a day seems pretty great to me

Yep these aren't officially announced, just people stumbling upon them or hearing about them on reddit or another site. Also not every theater has their tickets up yet or able to be bought.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

FB2 was at 428 sets of tickets for a 48 hour span according to CoolEric258's post from last Oct that I pulled up a few hours back. I'd say fairly good all things considered, since we don't know the difference in theater penetration at the time.  I'll give the view of Sacramento in a couple of hours. 

At least in the same ballpark, probably a little better, is what I would say.

Got it, thanks Porthos!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

Booksmart is having early showings on the 17th at 8:00 at some theaters around me. Trying to build buzz.

Annapurna has been pushing it hard, especially among college audiences. My school was one of about 30 to get an advance screening (it's a good movie btw! There was also very strong turnout), and there were screenings at AMCs last week too.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Annapurna has been pushing it hard, especially among college audiences. My school was one of about 30 to get an advance screening (it's a good movie btw! There was also very strong turnout), and there were screenings at AMCs last week too.

I hope it doesn't go sub-10m on opening weekend like Long Shot. I'm still pissed about that. Great movie!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mulder said:

KoTM-487

Dark Phoenix-49

KoTM-493

Dark Phoenix-50

One more update to this count tonight, hoping it'll break 500. Going to do another cumulative count during that update. 

• Like 1