grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I really hope they didn't show the Marvel logo at the beginning of the movie. Some casual audiences who knows nothing about which movies are in the MCU might have assumed that DP is part of the universe. It might tarnish the stellar MCU reputation in Marvel loving countries like China, Korea, Brazil, and Southeast Asian countries.

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I really hope they didn't show the Marvel logo at the beginning of the movie. Some casual audiences who knows nothing about which movies are in the MCU might have assumed that DP is part of the universe. It might tarnish the stellar MCU reputation in Marvel loving countries like China, Korea, Brazil, and Southeast Asian countries.

It will get the Marvel logo but not the Marvel Studios logo, just like e.g. Venom, TASM2, Apocalypse, Logan, Deadpool, Fantastic Four 2015, etc.     

The MCU has done just fine despite the  Marvel logo showing up in front of other studios properties.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It will get the Marvel logo but not the Marvel Studios logo, just like e.g. Venom, TASM2, Apocalypse, Logan, Deadpool, Fantastic Four 2015, etc.     

The MCU has done just fine despite the  Marvel logo showing up in front of other studios properties.

If I were Disney, I would just remove the Marvel logo in all non-MCU movies that they are obliged to release in theaters. Some casual audiences won't know the difference between the Marvel logos. The last 2 Avengers movies have greatly expanded the number of casuals who watch the MCU. These new casuals don't know anything about the Marvel arrangements with Fox. They might assume that anything with a Marvel logo is connected to the MCU.

Edited by UserHN

11 minutes ago, UserHN said:

If I were Disney, I would just remove the Marvel logo in all non-MCU movies that they are obliged to release in theaters. Some casual audiences won't know the difference between the Marvel logos. The last 2 Avengers movies have greatly expanded the number of casuals who watch the MCU. These new casuals don't know anything about the Marvel arrangements with Fox. They might assume that anything with a Marvel logo is connected to the MCU.

Stop. No, Marvel characters are still licensed, Disney doesn't own Spiderman , Disney didn't own X Men , so it makes no sense for them to force on others. Don't speak like a fanboy ( which will give bad rep to other MCU fans like us which they already get, because some MCU fans feel superiority over others, say the stuff about how Spider- Man should be owned by Disney and how X men should be quickly integrated into MCU)

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, ThanosTheHedgehog said:

Stop. No, Marvel characters are still licensed, Disney doesn't own Spiderman , Disney didn't own X Men , so it makes no sense for them to force on others. Don't speak like a fanboy ( which will give bad rep to other MCU fans like us which they already get, because some MCU fans feel superiority over others, say the stuff about how Spider- Man should be owned by Disney and how X men should be quickly integrated into MCU)

Well actually they do own Spider-Man and did own X-men.   They licensed the film rights, they didn't sell or transfer ownership - which is why the license can revert if certain criteria aren't met in terms of time tables, budgets and characterizations  I think part of that licensing though is use of the Marvel Logo so no Disney can't tell them to stop using it.  Instead Marvel Studios just created a different logo for their exclusive use.

More than enough of the audience know what is or isn't an MCU films as evidenced by the brand boosting new characters, but not everyone does or is engaged enough to care.  That can't be helped.  There are those who wonder why Superman or Batman weren't  in the last Avengers movie.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Releasing close to toy story 4 doesn’t help

It surely helped the first one, that opened close after Finding Dorie. 

But maybe "after" is the point here, maybe those trailers seen by millions of families gave it a last push, while this year, there wasn't a single classic family movie so far. 

Ironically DP's top critics score is currently higher than the all critics score (27% to 18% fresh), usually its the reverse.

Also, Disney has no legal right to take the Marvel Studios logo off non-Disney produced films. That is an agreement between Marvel and the studio producing and distributing the film.

It is a Marvel film, just not a Disney produced one.

4 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Ironically DP's top critics score is currently higher than the all critics score (27% to 18% fresh), usually its the reverse.

Also, Disney has no legal right to take the Marvel Studios logo off non-Disney produced films. That is an agreement between Marvel and the studio producing and distributing the film.

It is a Marvel film, just not a Disney produced one.

its a fox movie, marvel didnt make the movie, marvel movies are only the mcu movies

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is looking to be a very soft weekend. I know everybody hates that the state of box office in 2019 means going through lulls between Disney hits but the competition isn't putting up much of a fight.

Interested what Slop2 pulls, I think it can still be a respectable weekend between the holdovers and two new releases, regardless where DP falls. If DP does tumble hard, my only hope is that it benefits KoTM (and also JW3 and Endgame), but part of me is holding out hope that DP can save face. At least the reviews seem not quite as harsh internationally

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 1

Venom was 29% too but that was camp movie. X-Men has more pedigree with DOFP being one of the best CBMs last few years and LOGAN getting a lot of respect just 2 years back. Was rooting big time for DARKP a year back but not sure the makers may have enjoyed the freedom they wanted with merger and MCU X-men plans going with undeniable lethargy seeping into this long lasting franchise.

Hoping it crosses 100 dom if nothing else.

• Like 1

Besides Disney, almost everything is kind of meh / expected this year.

Is it possible that this year Disney doubles the gross of the 2nd studio? At this point, I think it's really likely

20 minutes ago, stripe said:

Is it possible that this year Disney doubles the gross of the 2nd studio? At this point, I think it's really likely

Club it. 

AEG and Carol are already equal to the combined total of the Top 3-10 domestically 

• Astonished 1

My next quasi-report from the theater nearby for Thursday previews. I may start doing others since one of my summer production jobs is on hold. 

- Toy Story 4 is now at 43 tickets sold (+12) - Seems to be just steady growth and obviously outdoing everything else. 

- Dark Phoenix 10 tickets sold (+2). Its way behind Aladdin and KOTM at the same rate. I don't have a comparison for anything else since I never started checking theater data till Aladdin. 

- Pets 2 now has 2 tickets sold (+1). +100% growth in tickets right here! Incredible. 

- Men in Black International now has a screening but I don't see any tickets sold for it yet. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Rather than the other studios doing well this would pretty much require Disney to collapse. Number 2 is WB at 740mil, doubleing that gets you to 1480 which is still 160mil less than Disney.... and Disney is pulling ahead again since Avengers is still making more than Pikachu daily and Aladdin is well ahead of KotM. For the rest of the year looking at major movies WB has Annabelle, It and Joker, Annabelle and Joker will make middling money and I It 2 will drop hard from 1 since no one really cares about them as adults. Universal has SLoP and Hobbes and Shaw.... Sony actually has a better 2nd half of the year than either of them.