grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

The RT audience score being verified now doesn't stop people from demolishing a film for the fun of it anyway. We'll see PostTrak and Cinemascore. 

The person I was quoting via a link also trashed Cinemascore. ;)

---

Look, I of all people on this board know how... unscientific RT Audience Scores are.  I was one of the people regularly railing against it when it was taken as something close to a Holy Writ.

At the same time, I don't think they're worthless, either.  I am legitimately curious how their new system works out and how successful they are at weeding out trolls.  Or not.  Time will tell.

When it comes down to it, I'll treat RT's audience score as a data point that is part of the whole picture (to mix my metaphors slightly) but not the end all and be all of audience reception.  Pretty much like I always did, especially before trolls descended on it en masse.

====

Besides, I do think it is notable that KotM opened high on RT when it came to an initial audience score and Dark Phoenix... didn't.  That more than anything was the point of my post.

• Like 3

Using the same method as last weeks for previews, I have DP at ~$5m (I'm not sure about how much T mobile promo has affected fandango sales) and Pets 2 at ~$2.3m (not including early access)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

The person I was quoting via a link also trashed Cinemascore. ;)

---

Look, I of all people on this board know how... unscientific RT Audience Scores are.  I was one of the people regularly railing against it when it was taken as something close to a Holy Writ.

At the same time, I don't think they're worthless, either.  I am legitimately curious how their new system works out and how successful they are at weeding out trolls.  Or not.  Time will tell.

When it comes down to it, I'll treat RT's audience score as a data point that is part of the whole picture (to mix my metaphors slightly) but not the end all and be all of audience reception.  Pretty much like I always did, especially before trolls descended on it en masse.

====

Besides, I do think it is notable that KotM opened high on RT when it came to an initial audience score and Dark Phoenix... didn't.  That more than anything was the point of my post.

another thing about the verified RT audience score is that people who didn't like the movie might not even bother with the whole verification process to validate their rating. 

so because of voluntary response bias the people who bother to review and verify themselves are the ones with the strongest opinions/die hard fans of the franchise and especially the fans who watch it on opening weekend that's why it woulds skew higher than other sites (as we saw with Godzilla 2). so the fact that the response from the die hard x-men fanbase is a mere 65% doesn't bode well for the movie's box office prospects at all :bagoverhead:. While I haven't seen the movie yet I heard about some character/story decisions that could upset some long time fans. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

@Menor I don't mean to bother you, but what are Pets' previews looking like? I'm honestly way more interested in that movie's previews tbh

7 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

@Menor I don't mean to bother you, but what are Pets' previews looking like? I'm honestly way more interested in that movie's previews tbh

Hard to tell with the comps telling a lot of different stories but with hotel Transylvania and Grinch probably around 2-2.5

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

another thing about the verified RT audience score is that people who didn't like the movie might not even bother with the whole verification process to validate their rating. 

so because of voluntary response bias the people who bother to review and verify themselves are the ones with the strongest opinions/die hard fans of the franchise and especially the fans who watch it on opening weekend that's why it woulds skew higher than other sites (as we saw with Godzilla 2). so the fact that the response from the die hard x-men fanbase is a mere 65% doesn't bode well for the movie's box office prospects at all :bagoverhead:. While I haven't seen the movie yet I heard about some character/story decisions that could upset some long time fans. 

Those could also mean haters. Those that hate the film so much that they have to find avenues to express their hatred, and one is to give negative scores and reviews to the film that they hate.

• Like 1

Exactly, the assumption that the die hard fans are going to be the ones to bother doing so is laughable. @RealLyre is underestimating how much some folks can hate anything, that's why negativity is so pervasive online, it sometimes seems much bigger and louder than it really is. Anyway, with everything that surrounds the film, the bad publicity, the Fox-Disney deal (with I'm sure a feeling among certain folks of "why care about this film since it's all getting rebooted anyway), regardless of actual "quality" (because that's for every one person to determine on their own), there's just a whole whiff of toxicity there, it reminds me of what The Lone Ranger and John Carter had to face. 

So yeah, of course it will be the lowest grossing X-Men film or on par with First Class (that deserved so much more). 

• Thanks 1

My final quasi report for openers this weekend from the theater nearby for Thursday previews.

- Dark Phoenix picked up a bit of walkups and got to 25 (+15) tickets sold total. However Aladdin is at 51 and KOTM 38 respectively (Only numbers I have). Not venturing any guesses for previews since I'm new to this. 

- Pets 2 also got a bump in walkups and got to 20 (+18). 

Upcoming stuff.

- Men in Black International now has 3 tickets sold (+3)

- Toy Story 4 is now at 47 tickets sold (+4). Slowed down a tad but still pretty strong. Its insane that its two weeks out and it's nearly tied Aladdin's final tickets sold. My theater must be full of Pixar fanboys or something.

- Anna now has a showing but can't tell if it sold tickets or not yet judging from the website. Must be glitched. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

My final quasi report for openers this weekend from the theater nearby for Thursday previews.

- Dark Phoenix picked up a bit of walkups and got to 25 (+15) tickets sold total. However Aladdin is at 51 and KOTM 38 respectively (Only numbers I have). Not venturing any guesses for previews since I'm new to this. 

- Pets 2 also got a bump in walkups and got to 20 (+18). 

Upcoming stuff.

- Men in Black International now has 3 tickets sold (+3)

- Toy Story 4 is now at 47 tickets sold (+4). Slowed down a tad but still pretty strong. Its insane that its two weeks out and it's nearly tied Aladdin's final tickets sold. My theater must be full of Pixar fanboys or something.

- Anna now has a showing but can't tell if it sold tickets or not yet judging from the website. Must be glitched. 

Or families who grew up/have kids who grew up and loved the past Toy Story-films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Deleted original post, redundant I apologize

Edited by Justin4125

Pulse today 8:35-8:49 EST, The Pets are clearly in front now:

Pets 2: 435/15 – yesterday it were 151, up 188%; Wonder Park had at that time 124/15, HtTYD3 491/15 and The Lego Movie2 300/15; very early in the morning Pets 2 had 31/15 which was exactly on par with what Dumbo had on Friday but two hours later, not bad.
Dark Phoenix: 224/15 – yesterday 162, up only 38%.

And MT: 

#1 Pets2 23.4%
#2 Aladdin 20.0%.
#3 Dark Phoenix 16.4%
#4 Rocketman 9.8%
#5 Godzilla2 8.5%

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Or families who grew up/have kids who grew up and loved the past Toy Story-films.

Inter-generational nostalgia is one hell of a pull. Interesting to watch early interviews with Lasseter and Jobs about the first Toy Story, they were talking about making a movie with an eye towards the next 50 or a 100 years. Not to focus on the immediate box office run, but to make movies that parents grow up with and then share with their children. The business plan worked

Edited by Justin4125

43 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Will tickets sold from DP's $4 dollar ticket promo (the one for TMobile users) show up on Pulse? Im surprised by the scope of that promo, seems like that might actually make a difference attendance-wise 

4 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

What?? Im probably the furthest thing from a Pixar "fanboy", whatever that is, but even Ill admit TS is one of the most beloved franchises out there. Rightfully so, I dont think there are any animated franchises that can compete in terms of consistent quality. It was also the franchise that started this whole 3D animated movie craze 

Is it impossible to believe that? Or are "pixar fanboys" really the only explanation we can come up with for why its selling so many tickets....

Yeah that was worded poorly on my part. I wasn't being negative with the use of the word fanboys. Pixar does have fans. Also I don't believe that's the only explanation. It's just for preview nights usually fans would go first.

But Toy Story 4 is clearly doing far better than I expected. If this keeps up, I'm hopping on the 200m OW bandwagon.  

3 hours ago, Litio said:

Using the same method as last weeks for previews, I have DP at ~$5m (I'm not sure about how much T mobile promo has affected fandango sales) and Pets 2 at ~$2.3m (not including early access)

Damn son.

Seems DP came in on the high end of some tracking on the thread and Pets on par.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 3