grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Also, HOLY SHIT the number of showtimes at Century Arden.

19 showings (3 XD) already scheduled for Arden!

That's... pretty impressive for an initial slate at Arden.  Sure it's much closer to release than many films.  Still a lot.

EDIT:::  Just checked some of my sheets.

Recent Arden FINAL preview showings for double digit previews:

It 2: 17 showings

TLK: 20 showings

TS4: 14 showings

CM: 25 showings

(EG is of course in another aha level at 31 showings)

I figure a lot of this has to be theaters still smarting after a fairly anemic summer post-TLK.  But this is more than I was expecting even if they don't start selling until 10/11 days out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 1

Now that I really think about it, the 4pm start is also impacting things, as it allows theaters to put one more showing per screen.  Depending on the demand, that'll mess with the internal multi.

(Also, 4pm for an R-rated film?  And a two hour long one at that?  I know it's a CBM, but still)

Was planning on using It 2 and Deadpool 2 as my main comps.  Still will, probably. No 3D, with PLF and R rating.  But the 4pm start time is gonna mess with things.  Not so much for It 2, as that's 5pm.  But DP2?  Oh yeah.

Sigh.  Never can be easy, can it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ad Astra Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 31 193 5,533 3.49%

Total Showings Added Today: 5

Total Seats Added Today: 533

Total Seats Sold Today: 36

Comp

0.210x of Once Upon 2 days before release (1.22M)

0.101x of It Chapter Two 2 days before release (1.06M)

0.547x of Hustlers 2 days before release (1.37M)

Adjusted Comp

0.200x of Hobbs & Shaw 2 days before release (1.16M)

Not gonna lie, this was a very poor jump. It's also one that very much puts 20M in jeopardy. We'll see if the next two days will change things around.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Downton Abbey Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

TOTALS 0 19 459 2,906 15.79%

Total Showings Added Today: 4

Total Seats Added Today: 754

Total Seats Sold Today: 30

Comp

0.500x of Once Upon 2 days before release (2.9M)

1.300x of Hustlers 2 days before release (3.25M)

I'm...genuinely shocked at that increase. Yeah yeah, it's for fans only, but such a minor uptick is still kind of surprising. But of course, those numbers are still sky high, so I guess it doesn't matter that much?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Rambo Last Blood Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

TOTALS 0 35 160 5,960 2.68%

Total Showings Added Today: 4

Total Seats Added Today: 721

Total Seats Sold Today: 16

Comp

1.633x of Crawl 2 days before release (1.63M)

0.174x of Once Upon 2 days before release (1.01M)

1.025x of Angel Has Fallen 2 days before release (1.54M)

Adjusted Comp

0.225x of Hobbs & Shaw 2 days before release (1.31M)

...what even happened here? Like I wasn't expecting a massive jump, but only 16 tickets? That's only slightly better than Dora or 47 Meters 2. Regardless, it's very weird how all three underperformed tickets-wise today. I guess that's a sign of things to come?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-30 and Counting

TOTALS 0 21 67 5,753 1.16%

Total Tickets Sold Today: 2

The trickle continues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Charlie's Angels Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-58 and Counting

TOTALS 0 20 6 6,584 0.09%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

With all three openers acting weird today, I at least can count on good ol' Charlie being consistent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

So when do we start Joker? When it is back to work?

8 hours ago, cax16 said:

On Todd Phillips Instagram he said he believes tickets go on sale this Monday September 23rd at 9am for Joker. 

We'll see if it is next Monday, or if it's any day now.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, TwoMisfits said:

So, it's almost not worth mentioning, b/c nothing is breaking big this weekend, but then, I thought, well, maybe this will show which holdovers might have the stronger legs (aka - there's only TWO of them if you don't count Spidey which already has great legs:)...so here's my 1st local's (Cinemark) set...HEAVY on foreign films to make up for probably overscreening It 2 last week...

NEW

Dream Girl (FF) - (1 - 4 showings - smallest size)

Gang Leader (FF) - (1 - 4 showings - 2nd biggest size - yes, it's a very down week when the foreign films are pulling special engagement prices and bigger theaters)

Hustlers (2 - 10 showings - above average size and smallest size) - what can I say - the theater gave It 2 6 screens last weekend, and it probably wasn't the best call...so something needs to fill the screens now - why not Hustlers, when there aren't any other big films around:)...

Chhichhore (FF) - (.5 - 2 evening showings - smallest size)

Pailwaan (FF) - (.25 - 1 evening showing - smallest size)

RETURNING

It 2 (3.75 - 15 showings - 2 biggest screens and 2 smallest screens) - so, it loses 11 showings in a week...and it probably would have lost more if there were any more openers this week

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 5 showings) - same set

Good Boys (1 - 6 showings) - same set

Spidey FFH (.75 - 3 showings) - So, it keeps all the day showings here and just loses 1 showing from last week...did I mention if there were any other openers, they'd be getting booked:)...

That's it - nothing else returned - that's how bad the market is and how dead it is right now for American films:)...

GONE

Dora AND Angry Birds (Spidey takes on the family role - nothing else here to do it - and families must be a VERY light market right now), the 2 other foreign films

Still .75 of a screen not booked (mostly morning and afternoon showings)...not even sure they'll bother, but if they do, it will be another foreign film... 

1st local (Cinemark) is set...and it's definitely foreign film season here:).  August movies are gone...like, all of them (as are July movies, as Spidey bids adieu)...and it's like a totally new set for the entire theater - here's the set...

NEW

Ad Astra (1.5 - 7 showings) - 2nd largest and smallest size

Downton Abbey (1.5 - 7 showings) - largest and smallest size - this wins over Ad Astra b/c the smallest screen is the split size

Rambo (2.25 - 11 showings) - largest and smallest size (with extra showings also smallest size) - this gets the largest set at the theater - not sure it's gonna earn it, but we'll see

Valmiki (1 - 4 showings) - above average screen - quite a good set for a foreign film

Kaapan (1 - 4 showings) - smallest size 

The Zoya Factor (.5 - 2 shoiwngs) - smallest size

Returning

Gang Leader (1 - 4 showings) - must have done well last week to get a 2nd week as a foreign film

Dream Girl (.5 - 2 showings) - must have also done well, although not as well, b/c it's showings are cut in half:)

Hustlers (1 - 5 showings) - smallest size and lost almost a full screen

It Chapter 2 (1.75 - 7 showings) - smallest size and lost more than half its showings - guess not selling weekdays played into this cut

Gone

Angel Has Fallen, Good Boys, Spidey, some of the foreign films

It's quite a week where only 4 films return to a 12, and 2 of those were foreign films...says something about the market - hopefully, this weekend changes things...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 9/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local (Regal) is up...not much to say, except they are continuing a pretty rapid clear out:)...but there are again some holdover winners (and Hustlers, which again gets more than 1 screen...b/c there's nothing else...and before you ask, since this place doesn't book foreign films, it did actually put in The Goldfinch...yep, that desperate...here's the set)...

NEW

Hustlers (1.8 - 9 showings - above average and average) - seems subscribers might buoy this b/c one of the prime time showings is a virtual sellout Friday night...and everything else is empty:)...

The Goldfinch (1 - 4 showings - smallest) 

Brittany Runs a Marathon (1 - 5 showings - smallest)

RETURNING

It 2 (2.8 - 11 showings) - lost a screen, but not as bad a drop, since it never got an enormous set to start with

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 4 showings) - lost a showing b/c it got placed as a "latest starting" screen

Overcomer (1- 5 showings) - this has now moved to an above average sized screen, b/c, why not?:)

Good Boys (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Dora (.4 - 2 showings) - hilariously, since it's sharing with It 2 and Hustlers, taking morning and early afternoon, it actually gets a biggest and above average screen to waste - it did lose 3 showings, though

Hobbs and Shaw (1 - 4 showings) - same as last week

TLK (1 - 4 showings) - starts as a latest screen, so also loses one showing

GONE

Ready or Not, Angry Birds, Scary Stories, Don't Let Go

I think next week will turn over even more films, since I think this theater is just gonna book all the wide openers and see what sticks b/c, why not?:)

2nd local (Regal) is up...and weirdly, Rambo is gonna "win" the opening "seats" battle here, too, but just barely as it did not get the largest screens...but Ad Astra is the loser...here's the set...

NEW

Rambo (2 - 10 showings) - above average screens

Downton Abbey (1.5 - 7 showings) - largest (full) and below average screens

Ad Astra (1 - 5 showings) - below average screen

Villains (1 - 5 showings) - average screen (with NO sales Friday night - should have swapped Ad Astra b/c that has sales)

Tokyo Ghoul S (.25 - 1 showing) - above average screen

Returning

Hustlers (1.75 - 9 showings) - held the same set for this week

The Goldfinch (.5 - 2 showings) - obviously not fully protected this week - how low can this go?:)

Brittany Runs A Marathon (.25 - 1 showing) - also obviously not fully protected

It Chapter 2 (1.5 - 6 showings) - lost about half its showings here as well

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 4 showings) - same set

Good Boys (.25 - 1 showing) - held for the late night show - pretty much gone by next week...might be rougher to $80M:)

The Lion King (.75 - 3 showings) - splits with Good Boys

Gone

Overcomer, Dora, Hobbs and Shaw

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

https://www.thewrap.com/ad-astra-downton-abbey-rambo-box-office/

All three films are projected to open somewhere in the $16-24 million range this weekend.

Right now, trackers are giving “Rambo: Last Blood” the edge with projections topping out at $24 million, which would put it around the opening weekend of last year’s “The Predator” at $25 million. Lionsgate is more conservative with a projection of $17-20 million, noting that the only film that has ever reached a $20 million opening before inflation is “Rambo: First Blood Part II” in 1985

Expected to open the lowest among the three new releases is “Downton Abbey,” the film adaptation of the hit ITV/PBS British period drama. The film is projected to open in the $16-20 million range, but has the lowest bar to clear to profitability with a reported budget of approximately $13 million.

The biggest bust, however, will likely be “Ad Astra,” another film released by Disney from the struggling 20th Century Fox. The film is currently projected for an $18-20 million opening

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric! said:

Charlie's Angels Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-58 and Counting

TOTALS 0 20 6 6,584 0.09%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

With all three openers acting weird today, I at least can count on good ol' Charlie being consistent.

Damn I shoulda bought a ticket for Philadelphia just to mess with yet another movie's pattern

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Was there any report on the $ of Downton Abbey sneaks last week?   Are they rolling them into the reported numbers for this weekend?

Deadline will probably tell us how much it made on the 12th, but it’ll be rolled into Friday on charts

• Thanks 1

Anecdotal: I hope that I can count both movies tomorrow without problems because since Saturday I have big issues with the AMC sites. Often it says „an error occured“, sometimes I'm not even allowed to see the list of the movies on the front page. On Saturday it was completely off. It's very annoying.

Rambo: Last Blood, counted today at 12pm EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 95 / 44 (total tickets sold for Thursday / total tickets sold for Friday, 6 showtimes, new)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 27 / 52 (5 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 9 / 14 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 33 / 15 (10 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 13 / 22 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 15 / 8 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 11 / 4 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 78 / 79 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 36 / 14 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 76 / 56 (10 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till Wednesday for Thursday: 395 and for Friday: 308.
Increase since Monday: 52 and 85%.
Stuber had on Wednesday at 12pm 312 / 285 sold tickets in 9 theaters (Michigan missing).
AhF had on Wednesday also at 12pm in 10 theaters 472 / 388.
So it's now behind AhF but with the NY shows added it will probably catch up a bit in the next hours. NY seems to be the best place for it anyway. Saw that the 7pm preview show at AMC Empire is status „almost full“ now.

Ad Astra (only 5 theaters today, I'm glad that I could count at all after a few hours ago it went broken in the middle of my counting. I don't want to push my luck). Counted today at 12pm EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 134 / 211 (total tickets sold for Thursday / total tickets sold for Friday, 6 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 109 / 119 (8 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 92 / 132 (8 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 105 / 65 (8 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 21 / 11 (4 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 5 theaters till Wednesday for Thursday: 501 and for Friday: 498.

Increase since Monday: 74 and 87%.
OUATIH had at that time in those 5 theaters 883 / 858 sold tickets. So it also dropped a bit behind compared to Monday.

But overall that's still not bad for Ad Astra and Rambo (remember how many films in recent weeks didn't manage it to have 300 tickets combined on their preview day and still had 6-8M OW. Ok, not all of them). But I also saw a stop when I had a rough look at these two movies in the morning. Now it looks better again and hopefully it will go on like that.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3