grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Avengers adjusted for regular ticket price inflation not taking into account the rise of more expensive PLF screens - adjusts to $234.5m in 2018 dollars

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm&adjust_yr=2018&p=.htm

So it's possible since that's only about 6% difference

(TFA adjusts to over $261m)

You think IW have a chance to pass TFA opening weekend?

The thing to keep in mind about IW's presales is the open question on just how much is this possibly eating in to the normal walk-up/day of ticket sales.

Marvel is historically strong on walk-ups/day of.  Enough so that a preview number a little under Rogue One for Black Panther translated into a 200m+ OW (BP 25.2m R1 29m).  At the same time, the well isn't infinitely deep (not a pun, honest :)).  Sooner or later presales will eat into walk-up/day of.  The 250 million dollar question is trying to figure out how much it's being eaten into.

Edited by Porthos

Thursday's showtimes are up at my theater; Paul isn't coming :jeb!: 

Pacific Rim doesn't have the second biggest auditorium to itself anymore; Sherlock Gnomes has it during the day while PR is in an average one

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Thursday's showtimes are up at my theater; Paul isn't coming :jeb!: 

Pacific Rim doesn't have the second biggest auditorium to itself anymore; Sherlock Gnomes has it during the day while PR is in an average one

Wow, that's bad for Paul b/c your theater would be like the total "breakout market" for that movie...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wow, that's bad for Paul b/c your theater would be like the total "breakout market" for that movie...

The poster has been up for a bit at my theater, but unlike Samson, there's no standee :hahaha: 

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised it isn't coming. Sony wasn't able to get Roman Israel to this theater either despite being on nearly 1,700 screens. Maybe if it does well enough this weekend, it could expand next week for Easter, but when 6 screens may need to be cleared on the 6th, I doubt it.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Well, it turns out Paul is coming after all; my theater just doesn't have previews. Hm.

Well, that's good for me for our bet (I still have a chance:))...and it seems like previews might not be happening b/c we still have no one's theater confirmed to have them:)...

On 3/13/2018 at 7:30 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Nothing is gone.

I Can Only Imagine: 5 (Biggest)

Love, Simon: 5 (Average)

Tomb Raider: 5 (2 2D/3 3D; 2nd Biggest)

A Wrinkle in Time: 9 (Up 2; 7 2D/2 3D; Average x2) 

Black Panther: 5 (Down 2; 3 2D/2 3D; Average with one extra show at night stolen from Game Night)

Death Wish: 5 (Up 1; 2nd Smallest and Smallest)

Red Sparrow: 5 (Up 1; 2nd Smallest and Smallest)

Strangers: Prey at Night: 5 (Up 1; Average)

Game Night: 3 (Down 1; Average)

Gringo: 3 (Down 1; 3rd Smallest)

Peter Rabbit: 3 (Down 1; 4th Smallest)

The Hurricane Heist: 2 (Down 2; 3rd Smallest)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 2 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

During the weekend, I Can Only Imagine gains another screen at the expense of Strangers sharing with Gringo/Hurricane 

Any upticks in showtimes are thanks to the theater being open longer because of Spring Break.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Game Night, Gringo, The Hurricane Heist, and Strangers: Prey at Night are gone.

Midnight Sun: 4 (Average)

Pacific Rim: Uprising: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest)

Paul, Apostle of Christ: 4 (Average)

Sherlock Gnomes: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Unsane: 4 (2nd Smallest)

Black Panther: 4 (Down 1; 2 2D/2 3D; 4th Smallest)

I Can Only Imagine: 4 (Down 1; Biggest)

Love, Simon: 4 (Down 1; Smallest)

Tomb Raider: 4 (Down 1; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

A Wrinkle in Time: 4 (Down 5 and lost 3D; Average)

Peter Rabbit: 3 (Flat; Average)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 2 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Red Sparrow: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)
Death Wish: 1 (Down 4; Average)

During the weekend, Pacific Rim and Sherlock Gnomes split the 2nd Biggest.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Unsane is about to bomb hard; the fact Midnight Sun was able to get into an average auditorium and this wasn't is extremely telling

I'm a bit surprised Black Panther and Love, Simon are down to the 4th smallest and smallest auditorium respectively. I figured they'd keep 3D on BP, but was it really worth cutting capacity by 10%? Love, Simon is still one of the theater's better sellers for the past few days, so this 25% capacity reduction is going to hurt big time.

How the fuck are Death Wish and JUMANJI still playing and Game Night isn't? :winomg: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

We still have Jumanji at my AMC...

I guess since our Second-Run AMC shut down they just keep the best sellers around for far longer. We don't even have Last Jedi anymore, and we're just getting rid of Greatest Showman. 

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, that's good for me for our bet (I still have a chance:))...and it seems like previews might not be happening b/c we still have no one's theater confirmed to have them:)...

I don't think Paul is having previews.  Just checked out NYC and saw previews for:

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Midnight Sun

Isle of Dogs (very limited release, I believe)

Unsane

NT Live: Julius Caesar

Nothing for Gnomes or Paul.

FWIW, the greater Sacramento area has all of the films listed above except for Isle of Dogs, which BOM claims will be in 27 theaters this upcoming weekend.

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

We still have Jumanji at my AMC...

I guess since our Second-Run AMC shut down they just keep the best sellers around for far longer. We don't even have Last Jedi anymore, and we're just getting rid of Greatest Showman. 

I have to wonder if Sony is giving any incentives. Game Night is selling a fuckton more than Jumanji is, so I'm flabbergasted as to why my theater is dropping it.