Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, Nova said:

That's where my thought is at the moment and until I see something that shows otherwise, I see no point in jumping on the Black Panther over WW train. 

Fair enough and tbh I'm not trying to make it into a competition over which one will gross more, I just think it absolutely has the potential for an 100M+ opening weekend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Ok, 1st of all, back it down a notch.. I was merely making an observation from a debate in the past, whether it was here or at World of KJ where I was also at, so chill.. I'm not complaining about anything..

You said I put the bracket insinuating some agenda or shit on my part. How was I supposed to take it differently? 

Did that debate involve me? no so why drag me here

Just now, MOVIEGUY said:

Fair enough and tbh I'm not trying to make it into a competition over which one will gross more, I just think it absolutely has the potential for an 100M+ opening weekend.

And I agree with that lol I don't have it far off as we speak. I'm just withholding that number/expectation until I see more. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'll be interested to see if WB fasttracks the sequel. I think 2020 is more likely but I could see them aiming for November 2019 at the earliest

The only project they really have moving forward (aka actually filming) is Aquaman, because they're probably waiting to see how Justice League is received. A sequel for 2019 sounds like a great bet.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The only project they really have moving forward (aka actually filming) is Aquaman, because they're probably waiting to see how Justice League is received. A sequel for 2019 sounds like a great bet.

I think we get the new schedule at SDCC.

• Like 1

With Friday estimates, Wonder Woman, I would say, ended up having a strong previews to opening day multiplier for a June release and as previews become more substantive.

Preview Grosses for Some Comic Book Films and the Share of Opening Day

Title / Preview Gross / Share of Opening Day

The Dark Knight Rises — 30.6 million (40.4%)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 27.7 million (34.0%)

Avengers: Age of Ultron — 27.6 million (32.7%)

Captain America: Civil War — 25 million (33.1%)

Suicide Squad — 20.5 million (31.6%)

Marvel's The Avengers — 18.7 million (23.1%)

The Dark Knight — 18.5 million (27.5%)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 17 million (30.2%)

Iron Man 3 — 15.6 million (22.7%)

Deadpool — 12.7 million (26.8%)

Guardians of the Galaxy — 11.2 million (29.6%)

Wonder Woman — 11 million (28.3%)

Captain America: Winter Soldier — 10.2 million (27.6%)

Doctor Strange — 9.4 million (28.8%)

And for what it's worth, it looks like it could end up having the 16th strongest opening weekend for a comic book film, if it hits $100 million for the weekend, with ~11% of this from previews. Again, clearly the older comic book films have a smaller percentage of their opening weekend gross from previews/midnights, as the emphasis on previews has changed considerably over the years.

Best Opening Weekends for Comic Book Films & Share from Previews

Title / Opening Weekend Gross / Share of Opening Weekend from Previews/Midnights

1. Marvel’s The Avengers — 207.4 million (9.0%)
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 191.3 million (14.4%)
  3. Captain America: Civil War — 179.1 million (14.0%)
  4. Iron Man 3 — 174.1 million (9.0%)
  5. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 166.0 million (16.7%)
  6. The Dark Knight Rises — 160.9 million (19.0%)
  7. The Dark Knight — 158.4 million (11.7%)
  8. Spider-Man 3 — 151.1 million (6.6%)
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 146.4 million (11.6%)
  10. Suicide Squad — 133.7 million (15.3%)
  11. Deadpool — 132.4 million (9.6%)
  12. Iron Man 2 — 128.1 million (5.9%)
  13. Man of Steel — 116.6 million (7.7%)
  14. Spider-Man — 114.8 million (6.1%)
  15. X-Men: The Last Stand — 102.8 million (5.7%)
  16. Iron Man — 98.6 million (5.1%)
  17. Captain America: The Winter Soldier — 95.0 million (10.7%)
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy — 94.3 million (11.9%)
  19. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 — 91.6 million (9.5%)
  20. X-Men: Days of Future Past — 90.8 million (8.9%)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is the world ready for TWO female superhero movies in a single year??!!

I don't think FOX News will be ready for two female superheroes wearing the colors red and blue. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think November 2019 would work, I think The Batman will be slotted for a summer release

Wonder woman doing exactly what I expected all along. The reviews definitely helped and now WOM is fueling it. Have a feeling tonight will be strong. Sunday could be as well. 

Think its going to end somewhere from $101-$106 when all's said and done. 

And jesus you guys argue about comic book movies too much in regards to everything else. They are always overhyped here. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is the world ready for TWO female superhero movies in a single year??!!

The best part about Wonder Woman succeeding: karma for those Hollywood honchos who interpreted the flopping of movies like Catwoman and Elektra as meaning "I guess audiences don't want to see women superhero movies." In your face, studio executives.

• Like 3

Black Panther is the kind of movie people have wanted for years. Between the historic implications and the fact that it's an established part of the MCU but a fresh and exciting take, I think it does 100+. If Deadpool, also a "F-List Superhero" could do it on that date, so could this. Plus, Ryan Coogler is the best director for one of these since Nolan and it has the best cast for any superhero film ever. That's a thing.

Also, I just don't think that the F-List superhero thing even matters. Either you're a comic book fan and you know about all these characters anyway, or you're a casual fan and so until 2008 the only superheroes who weren't F-List were Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, WW, Wolverine, and the Hulk. It comes down to a combination of general fresh appeal+die-hard concentration, which is how Deadpool did more than Man of Steel on OW, despite one being a guy no one outside of comic fans has ever heard of and the other being maybe the most recognizable American pop culture figure literally ever. 

• Like 7