kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

The movie would have been available for 7 months on home media by then. It wouldn't help the numbers much anyways.

No it's only on HBO max for a short time.

A proper release when all the cinemas are open would still make good bank. Cinemas are all going to be messed up with their programming anyway when they reopen, giving them a good selection of offerrings is going to be key in getting people back into theaters.

Smart move by AT&T.  Yeah they probably going to make 50-100 million now but how is that different than the 10-100 million that they will make in June?  At least now they have the buzz around adding it to HBO Max that might drive subscriber growth and the theater owners hate WB the least in the extremely long shot they do survive.  

Studios are delusional if they think everything is going back to normal.  Normal already was accelerating attendance decline.  

• ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Oh boy, who woulda thunk WB would really drop this on HBO Max. Especially after how sure Patty was last month about it only being a theatrical release. They are really desperate for new subscribers.

A lot has changed over the last 6 weeks.  COVID numbers are even worse than predicted.  The election basically ended the worst possible way to save theaters.  AT&T has seen the writing on the wall wait to June and a very good chance half or more of theaters are bankrupt and shut down.  Maybe they can eek out more money by waiting but really how much more compared to getting what you can now and using the movie to drive subscriber growth with maximum free publicity.  

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Smart move by AT&T.  Yeah they probably going to make 50-100 million now

How? States are already starting to go through lockdown phases, and it's not gonna magically reopen nor will cases improve one month later. There's probably going to be 500 theaters or so that would still be open at best, and I'm being charitable here. This getting to even 30M domestically is a stretch

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

By the way, does this hurt the chances of a third movie happening? 

All depends on movie reception now. If reviews are similar or not far off from the first one, they'll just assume this would've been a massive hit and go forward with another while writing its run off as one of COVID's growing number of movie victims (had they gone forward with the theatrical only release on Christmas as planned it would've bombed even harder than Tenet did back when things were semi-optimistic). A Wonder Woman 3 is another 3-4 years away regardless.

5 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

I think the majority of the MCU, DC and Star Wars is going to be in high production television from now on.

That sounds depressing, but I’ve already been predicting that movie theaters will be dead before the end of the 2020s, so it wouldn’t surprise me. 

• ...wtf 1

Theatrical business will be depressed in most markets next year as well. WB probably thought they are better off monetizing as much as possible instead of delaying it anymore.

I agree at this point there is no point producing mega budget blockbusters until there is a sense of normalcy. I dont think Disney will also postpone any of their blockbusters beyond current plans. It costs tons of money to do it. Dont forget Disney lost almost 5B last quarter(though theme park are the biggest hit and will continue to be hit next year as well). So WB and others are better off producing good content for streaming rather than investing in theatrical releases until we have conquered the beast. That will take a while. I am convinced the vaccine is going to be 100% effective and plus it will take time to vaccinate critical mass(not easy with deniers). We still have to take care  for long time. 

I will probably subscribe HBO for a month to check this out for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Eric Karga said:

How? States are already starting to go through lockdown phases, and it's not gonna magically reopen nor will cases improve one month later. There's probably going to be 500 theaters or so that would still be open at best, and I'm being charitable here. This getting to even 30M domestically is a stretch

There is a better chance of there only be 500 theaters open in June than there is in Dec.  Texas, Florida and Georgia are just not going to shut down again. 

And theaters are not magically going to be around in June either.  It's extremely unlikely they get the carve-out in any stimulus.  Its even more unlikely that the stimulus arrives in time.  And what white knight is out there?  AMC has been looking for 8 months now with no luck and the clock is about to hit midnight.  

My point here is waiting for later in the hope things get better is pure wishful thinking given all the information we have today.  Anyone in the studios operating under the assumption that Regal and AMC are operating 80% of their theaters in June are delusional and costing their shareholders millions.  And this is me being extremely optimistic that Regal and AMC can find a white knight or financing and not just move to Chapter 7.   There is a very real chance that all but a handful of their locations (Disney Springs and City walk) are closed for good.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, jimisawesome said:

There is a better chance of there only be 500 theaters open in June than there is in Dec.  Texas, Florida and Georgia are just not going to shut down again. 

And theaters are not magically going to be around in June either.  It's extremely unlikely they get the carve-out in any stimulus.  Its even more unlikely that the stimulus arrives in time.  And what white knight is out there?  AMC has been looking for 8 months now with no luck and the clock is about to hit midnight.  

My point here is waiting for later in the hope things get better is pure wishful thinking given all the information we have today.  Anyone in the studios operating under the assumption that Regal and AMC are operating 80% of their theaters in June are delusional and costing their shareholders millions.  And this is me being extremely optimistic that Regal and AMC can find a white knight or financing and not just move to Chapter 7.   There is a very real chance that all but a handful of their locations (Disney Springs and City walk) are closed for good.

Did I say that things will be peachy in June? I'm just saying that it makes no sense for WW to make 50-100M when you look at the outside circumstances, and that it'll likely do lower than what you're projecting

3 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

There is a very real chance that all but a handful of their locations (Disney Springs and City walk) are closed for good.

We've been hearing this for like 6 months already lol. If a chain like AMC does get fully shutdown anways, many of the closed down locations will be bought by another chain (or maybe even a newcomer in the industry) regardless, if demand exists (which we know will exist).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Theatrical business will be depressed in most markets next year as well. WB probably thought they are better off monetizing as much as possible instead of delaying it anymore.

I agree at this point there is no point producing mega budget blockbusters until there is a sense of normalcy. I dont think Disney will also postpone any of their blockbusters beyond current plans. It costs tons of money to do it. Dont forget Disney lost almost 5B last quarter(though theme park are the biggest hit and will continue to be hit next year as well). So WB and others are better off producing good content for streaming rather than investing in theatrical releases until we have conquered the beast. That will take a while. I am convinced the vaccine is going to be 100% effective and plus it will take time to vaccinate critical mass(not easy with deniers). We still have to take care  for long time. 

I will probably subscribe HBO for a month to check this out for sure. 

Disney did not lose 5 billion in Q3. They took what essentially amounts to a 5 billion write off for adjusting the valuation of Fox assets. Their losses in Q4 are more representative of their situation and to be honest they’re not losing that much anymore and should start breaking even sooner rather than later. 

Even if this were a normal release opening on Christmas Day like it was a few days ago, it wouldn't make Birds of Prey numbers given the current circumstances (which are only looking to get much worse in the weeks ahead with two major holidays coming up and a lot of families unlikely to listen to the warnings). 

There's also the issue that theaters need customers to show up, and that's not happening right now as daily case numbers (and even deaths) approach scary new heights each day. Studios also can't sell movies either when the current situation means they don't how many theaters across the country will be open in the weeks ahead (and only 3 states being unlikely to close again isn't enough for them to put a $200M tentpole out there unless they're also making it available for home viewing).

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even if this were a normal release opening on Christmas Day like it was a few days ago, it wouldn't make Birds of Prey numbers given the current circumstances (which are only looking to get much worse in the weeks ahead with two major holidays coming up and a lot of families unlikely to listen to the warnings). 

There's also the issue that theaters need customers to show up, and that's not happening right now as daily case numbers (and even deaths) approach scary new heights each day. Studios also can't sell movies either when the current situation means they don't how many theaters across the country will be open in the weeks ahead (and only 3 states being unlikely to close again isn't enough for them to put a $200M tentpole out there unless they're also making it available for home viewing).

Well, 4 states...South Dakota should probably also be on the "never shut" list b/c I think it was the only one who didn't shut anything the 1st time...and I can't see that changing the 2nd time...now, it probably has about 5 theaters (I'm kinda joking...but then I'm kinda not:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

By the way, does this hurt the chances of a third movie happening? 

I doubt the performance of WW84 affects a potential third movie. Outside the US it’ll probably do relatively decent numbers, especially in Asia (unless piracy really tanks it after the first week). Plus, it will be undeniably massive for HBO Max which AT&T will likely be very happy about, even if it struggles at the domestic BO.

WB are well aware that the performance of this film comes with a huge asterisk, the first film was massive and the character is still very popular after rejuvenating the DC brand, so I doubt they write off the franchise based on the COVID impacted performance of WW84.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1