kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

from variety https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-analysis-1234835650/

AT&T probably know one movie wouldn't keep these subs, but at least it could let them realize Max exists, which is more important right now considering those HBO subs who can use it for free don't even care about it.

Kinda hard for the average consumer to make heads out of HBO Now, HBO Go and HBO Max. The HBO name did more harm than good. Should've picked a different one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

I mean if you’re gonna steal movies you’re gonna steal them, doesn’t really matter the situation, let’s be honest. 

I’ve never watched a movie like that, nor would I ever. 

With a high quality torrent on day one, there will be way more pirating than usual.

5 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

What does this mean for future sequels/spinoffs? It's going to lose money but will WB consider the extreme circumstances or will they suddenly come to the conclusion that Wonder Woman doesn't sell? 

I really doubt that. Every studio knows that putting a $200 mil dollar movie onto a streaming service won't make it profitable. At this point, it seems to have driven a Amazon deal and a Roku deal seems likely. I'd say if the Roku deal happens, drives 5 mil new paying subs, and pushes the number of free activations to over 50% or something (only 30% so far have activated), that'd be a success.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Oh boy, who woulda thunk WB would really drop this on HBO Max. Especially after how sure Patty was last month about it only being a theatrical release. They are really desperate for new subscribers.

WB apparently were as helpless as Patty and were completely on her side. Heck that Swarovski ad they put out earlier this week claimed WW84 would come exclusively to theatres. It was AT&T who pulled the trigger after Disney Plus overperformed in their quarterly reports. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • ...wtf 1

Make sense for them to be desperate... i mean, Netflix is Netflix and they have a bunch of Oscar movies and series coming really soon

D+ already have a big subscriber number and they´re dropping Mandalorian, Soul and WandaVision between now and January

Prime which already have a huge hit for them this year with The Boys, they have Coming 2 America for Christmas and more Oscar movies

Even Apple TV have Cherry directed by The Russo Brothers starring Tom Holland coming just in time for the Awards Season

With low subscribers for HBO Max and no big product for them until Snyder Cut (which is rumoured to March), seems obvious to me why they make this decision, suddenly they have the biggest movie possible for their platform which needs visibility.

10 minutes ago, AndyK said:

How about a summer re-release?

Won't happen, the movie will be "old news" by that point. The most WB will do is release this and Tenet in LA and NYC for a week or two so they could get some time on their screens versus none at all if they are reopened by then (which hasn't happened yet and won't be for a while).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator
16 hours ago, cax16 said:

I still get the same error when I open the forums in a different browser on my phone. Like I’m on the forums now but when I open a new browser I get the same error I was getting yesterday. 

Strange... is that still happening today? Sometimes the changes 24-48 hours to take effect across the board.

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Strange... is that still happening today? Sometimes the changes 24-48 hours to take effect across the board.

I can open the forums in another browser now, so that works. But when I click the top forum banner where it says “The box office theory - forums” I still get the error. Just letting you know, it’s not a big deal for me though. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, Hangman said:

When she says it's not going to streaming, does she mean it's not going only to streaming? In this tweet is she confirming it's going to theaters and PVOD on the same day?

6 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Oh boy, who woulda thunk WB would really drop this on HBO Max. Especially after how sure Patty was last month about it only being a theatrical release. They are really desperate for new subscribers.

I think last month she was saying it wouldn't go directly (and only) to HBO Max.  But it seems she did confirm a theater/streaming release.