franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

18 hours ago, AniNate said:

Do people seriously keep score on standing O durations or is it just for shits and giggles at this point?

The latter, always has been. And since there's not like an official board for timing the ovations or any consensus for how to time them, publications differ in their perception of how long it lasted. I've seen 6, 7, and 8 minutes for Furiosa. The generally accepted "definitive" ranking is an occasionally updated IndieWire article. I think the main reason publications report on them at all is that numbers in general are good for headlines, no matter what the number is or how relevant it is (as anyone who's had the displeasure of seeing a ScreenRant article on their homepage knows).

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand why standing ovations need to last so long to begin with. I can’t imagine clapping for six to eight minutes straight. 

I think there is a certain meta motivation behind it. They know it will get headlines so some fanboys in the audience implore others to keep standing for longer if they're about to sit down

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

You know what you are? A concern troll. You did this with Civil War and Twisters too, just looking for any kind of weird angle to take to justify your cynicism.

Why are you so upset about a post from a rando online? My god, you're paying way too much attention to me if you're able to tell me exactly what film's I'm apparently "concern trolling" on. Get a life.

30 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I just the box office of Fury ROad and was surprised it made only a small profit, I though it was a pretty big hit.

I'm still unclear on how they didn't get it approved for China release. Back in 2015, it would've done quite well there. At least get it over $400m and make that final gross sexier

Wow this was excellent. I'm still digesting it.

I think I put Fury Road a smidgen above, but Furiosa is great in it's own right. It does a impressive job of expanding the universe without overloading it. The setpieces are batshit insane. Just when I thought they couldn't top something, the next crazy scene makes you remember that this is a George Miller movie after all. He's out to wow you and he did that wonderfully.

Browne (wonderful performance in particular) and Taylor-Joy were great. Hemsworth you can tell is having the time of his life while dropping fun quotes.

Soundtrack is a banger too. 

• Like 17

Posted (edited)

Big german youtubers rank this from worst Mad Max to painfully average. There's probably someone who loves it, too, these are just the one i'm following more regularly. Interesting how opinions vary on this... i mean, when you look outside RT and Metacritic.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Big german youtubers rank this from worst Mad Max to average film. There's probably someone who loves it, too, these are just the one i'm following more regularly. Interesting how opinions vary on this... i mean, when you look outside RT and Metacritic.

First Mad Max put me to sleep. I can't imagine liking Furiosa less

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Big german youtubers rank this from worst Mad Max to painfully average. There's probably someone who loves it, too, these are just the one i'm following more regularly. Interesting how opinions vary on this... i mean, when you look outside RT and Metacritic.

Anecdotal evidence means nothing

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Anecdotal evidence means nothing

Sure but usually if a movie does really well on RT that usually gets reflected in the reactions of those popular film youtubers, more or less. This time, reactions are very tepid across the (admittedly, very small) board for a movie with such high RT / Metacritic score.

Edited by Elessar

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Sure but usually if a movie does really well on RT that usually gets reflected in the reactions of those popular film youtubers, more or less. This time, reactions are very tepid across the (admittedly, very small) board for a movie with such high RT / Metacritic score.

Reviews are really positive so far. Hard to really quantify YouTuber reactions. 

We’ll know soon enough if the movie has traction with general movie goers, which is always the real test any movie needs to pass. Dune 2 did it earlier this year. Now it’s Furiosa’s turn to go through the fire. 

Edited by Squire

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

The first mad max is so bad it's almost a wonder how the fuck we managed to get a franchise out of it. I know the budget was low but holy fuck.

not the most exciting film , but it isn't bad. i was bored for most of Fury Road, Charlize is maybe the only reason to watch and cool visuals that get old very quick

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not the most exciting film , but it isn't bad. i was bored for most of Fury Road, Charlize is maybe the only reason to watch and cool visuals that get old very quick

It is bad. There are some solid stunts here and there but the script is abysmal, the photography is terrible (and I don't mean it in a "it's 1979 kind of way": its sequel came out 2 years later but feels 30 years later), Most of the performances are also pretty weak and most of the film is plain mundane, might be the least post-apocalyptic post-apocalyptic film I've ever seen. A bunch of the runtime is spent on max going on vacation with his family ffs lmao.

It's hard to defend it even as a product of its time when its own sequel a mere 2 years later trounces it in every way possible. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Fury Road, but this film ain't it.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It is bad. There are some solid stunts here and there but the script is abysmal, the photography is terrible (and I don't mean it in a "it's 1979 kind of way": its sequel came out 2 years later but feels 30 years later), Most of the performances are also pretty weak and most of the film is plain mundane, might be the least post-apocalyptic post-apocalyptic film I've ever seen. A bunch of the runtime is spent on max going on vacation with his family ffs lmao.

It's hard to defend it even as a product of its time when its own sequel a mere 2 years later trounces it in every way possible. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Fury Road, but this film ain't it.

this franchise is like evil dead where the first movie is low budget schlock , the sequel is better version of original then it gets Hollywood money

42 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Still 82 on Meta higher than DUNC 2's 79.

Dune Part 2 has 62 critic reviews compared to Furiosa’s 34, so I wouldn’t get too cocky. IIRC, Dune’s score was in the mid to low 80s at one point until a few bad scores came in a few days before release (including that bizarre Boston Globe review that gave it a bad score because it had a white savior narrative!).