WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

The Apes trilogy has been a triumph for Fox when you consider it had a failed remake in 2001 and that the original series gradually declined and could never reached the heights of the original film. 

It will be interesting where Fox goes with Planet of the Apes next, I reckon we'll see another film in 3-5 years time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Surely Apes can rise to 21M before dawn? I think it can, it should play better in the evenings.

But yeah, as Empire said, tomorrow will be the real test for its WOM.

It should have great WOM but it's still a sequel within a franchise that has a limited fanbase. I don't know if WOM can really save this one.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The Apes trilogy has been a triumph for Fox when you consider it had a failed remake in 2001 and that the original series gradually declined and could never reached the heights of the original film. 

It will be interesting where Fox goes with Planet of the Apes next, I reckon we'll see another film in 3-5 years time. 

I am guessing reboot in 5-10 years. This one will show a pretty big decrease from Dawn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I am guessing reboot in 5-10 years. This one will show a pretty big decrease from Dawn.

Soft reboot maybe, there is so many thousand of year between war and Planet of 1968, there is a lot of room to keep it in the same universe.

• Like 4

I expected 14 million for Spider-Man so I don't see any shocking number with that one. The film's range with always 45 to 50 million for the second weekend and that's where it's going to land. Of course I think it'll be closer to 50 or 50mil.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Soft reboot maybe, there is so many thousand of year between war and Planet of 1968, there is a lot of room to keep it in the same universe.

I think setting it 100 years later would work well.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The funniest part is the thinking that a film composed of people dressed up in monkey suits is any different to a CBM.

The last episode was dull, dreary and was built on riduclous premise.

It would have been easier to believe that the monkeys suddenly became intelligent and managed to multiply their numbers by thounads in only 10 years if magic or devine intervention was involved.

Right now there are 25 apes in San Fransico and surrounding areas.

I dont think the accuracy of the apes' reproductive capabilities is having a dramatic effect on the B.O....thats one of the last things the GA would notice (and complain) about the movie. 

Besides the GA clearly doesnt mind inaccuracy as everyone basically acknowledges the over-the-topness of the Fast films and the implausibility of Peter gaining spider powers after being bitten by a spider...

The last film being too bleak to attract lots of the GA makes sense from a box office point of the view but the movie's adherence to real life science having a BO effect seems like too much of a stretch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

It's not like a 59% drop isn't abnormal for an MCU movie.

It was always headed for around a 57 to 60% drop and that's what it looks like it's headed. For now that's where it looks like it's headed, of course we need the later numbers to really see.

And it has big July weekdays but for some reason predicting the sort of numbers has been seen as being against the movie from a couple of people because they let Wonder Woman's 43% drop get to their head and believe that every movie was going to do that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, superduperm said:

It should have great WOM but it's still a sequel within a franchise that has a limited fanbase. I don't know if WOM can really save this one.

It doesn't need "saving" though even with 20M.

• Like 1

Everything falls in line as expected, but man that APEs number is pathetic .... I was hoping it does around 25-30M.

Hope it goes up in the evening...

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

BO.com predicting 40/100 for It.

All I can think is "WELL AT LEAST MY 65/150 ISNT TOO CRAZY NOW"

Real men predict $75M/$170M. 

• Like 2

I think Fox has been marketing APES well. The trailers have been solid and I'm seeing plenty of blanket coverage for posters, billboards, and TV spots. I think what @TwoMisfits and @EmpireCity have been saying is right: this is the third entry in a relatively bleak and dour series and right now people want more light-hearted or upbeat entertainment. Nothing to be done about it, it's just bad timing that you can't really plan for. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I think Fox has been marketing APES well. The trailers have been solid and I'm seeing plenty of blanket coverage for posters, billboards, and TV spots. I think what @TwoMisfits and @EmpireCity have been saying is right: this is the third entry in a relatively bleak and dour series and right now people want more light-hearted or upbeat entertainment. Nothing to be done about it, it's just bad timing that you can't really plan for. 

And this is the worst part about the film. All the humor in War is sooooooo fucking forced.