WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

You could, but you won't. Have you even seen 10 movies in theaters this year? :lol: 

Drag his #casual ass into the mud. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think hes kidding.

Ummm, Entertainment Weekly's reviewer probably disagrees...by the way, don't read that review if you don't want to be spoiled b/c in the reviewer's pretty-much total hatred of the film, the review gives away the ENTIRE FILM plot...which was incredibly uncool...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, the beast said:

Whats The Best Case Scenario for How Apes Weekend Could Play Out With That $22.1M Friday?

$22.1m Friday($17m true friday)

$ 22.2m Saturday(Tomato law come back to life)

$ 15.7m sunday

$60m just nice..... 

I thought The Beguiled was great. Went in with really no expectations and found it to be a rather funny dark comedy. Beautifully shot as well.

A Ghost Story is fantastic and the best of the year so far, but I can envision the walk-outs it would get in suburban and rural multiplexes. 

The Big Sick is quite enjoyable. Like any Apatow flick, it's way too long and suffers a bit in the "narrative stakes" department, but the humor and great performances pull it through.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

We'll see how 'character fatigue' plays out in 2019. Batman's been in just as many movies

I don't think it's going to come into play at all. This is the sixth Spider-Man solo in 15 years, that's one Spider-Man movie every 2.5 years on average with three different actors and a 2-year gap between the Webb Spider-Man and the MCU Spider-Man appearing in an ensemble. There was an 8-year gap between the Burton Batman series and the Nolan Batman series ('97 to '05) and a 4-year gap between the Nolan Batman series and the first appearance of the DCEU Batman in an ensemble ('12 to '16) with a 7-year gap between solo series at best ('12 to '19).

As I've said before, there's simply no novelty with Spider-Man at the moment due to overexposure. And if the relatively tame-to-good performances of GotG2 and SM:H indicate anything it's that we've kind of really hit the point for the MCU where they've just released so many movies and they've all been reasonably similar that the GA is starting to build up a tolerance to any possible hype or review scores because there have been so many movies, they all get reviewed roughly the same level, etc.

The next few years are going to be really interesting. With DC, we've had three major cinematic Supermans and five major cinematic Batmans now that a changing of the guard is probably about as anticipated and accepted as having a new Bond. They've also seemingly benefited from appearing in ensembles recently to whet the appetite of audiences without giving them too much. They also have massive names in the comic book world like Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, the Joker and the Flash that haven't had as much exposure recently that they can pursue.

With Marvel, it's going to be problematic with the original cast basically winding down and needing replacements soon. The problem is this will be the first time they'll be replacing them for the general audience so reception can really go either way. Additionally, the characters they can branch off too like Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Black Panther are largely C-list compared to the above names. And then we're back to the Spider-Man problem, who I believe is currently overexposed but we're getting more sequels for.

So we'll see where it goes. At the moment, I think people need to temper their expectations for Thor: Ragnarok and with RDJ facing his first sub-$400mil DOM, $1bil WW MCU movie we should probably think about Avengers: Infinity War as well and consider possible heavily front-loaded possibilities for both.

• Like 3

Spidey's drop isn't surprising at all. Its opening weekend already had signs of frontloading. 

Nobody should expect Spidey to behave like Wonder Woman. Please, don't do that to yourselves. The possible 60% drop for Spidey should be your wake up call. ;)

• Like 1

SH movies are not growing their (casual and rabid) fandom anymore. Who wants to see them, will see them, the rest will never get aboard and even those who see them are selective. They won't see all which is why they aren't making the same kind of money. It's recycling the same audience without gaining new, just a question which content attracts more viewers that checks this genre out and which doesn't. In general, novelty rules like in case of any other movie. 

There's no fatigue (as in rejection) but there's no growth. I think that the genre peaked with TA as far as the boxoffice goes and eevrything else will make less, no matter how much critics praise movies or social media buzzes about them. @AHepBurn put it really eloquently. Great post! 

• Like 5

So as I said yesterday, ~$50mil OW for War is pretty in-line for the franchise as a whole. There's absolutely no reason to be really upset about this number. The OW should increase a bit due to walk-ups and the studio likely even anticipated the drop compared to Rise since they lowered the budget from both movies. Yes, it'll be lower than Rise, but this is the third installment on what's been solidified as a strongly adult-leaning series. So at this point you really know what you're going to be in for and you're either in or out. Additionally we've seen threequels drop from the second regularly the past few years instead of surpass them as in the past. The end result will be the same as the previous two installments - a solid, if unspectacular box office for a highly received series that should see some longevity through syndication and home video.

• Like 3