cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Here's something really sad I just realized: if we consider the major animation studios to be WDAS, Pixar, Illumination, DWA, SPA, and WAG then this movie will mark the first major animated release since Coco in November 2017 that isn't a sequel or based on an existing IP, with the sole exceptions of Abominable and Smallfoot, which ironically are very similar to each other.

I find that outright horrifying that for 2 and a half years we basically got no original ideas in the realm of major animation, when up until just recently that has always been where originals have thrived. It's not looking particularly promising after this movie either, since the next ones on the schedule by the big players are Trolls 2, Scooby, and Minions 2. Here's hoping the unannounced Pixar and WDAS films are originals. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, stripe said:

It was said that afterr TS4 there Pixar release schedule is full of originals

I'm more concerned about WDAS. That is a studio that has built its entire legacy off of not making sequels for nearly a century. A couple is fine, but I'm worried they're gonna announce Moana/BH6/Zootopia sequels as their next projects. Especially with Gigantic getting cancelled. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm more concerned about WDAS. That is a studio that has built its entire legacy off of not making sequels for nearly a century. A couple is fine, but I'm worried they're gonna announce Moana/BH6/Zootopia sequels as their next projects. Especially with Gigantic getting cancelled. 

Have Disney movie with TV shows gotten Disney sequels (in the canon)?

Not to mention these studios are setting themselves up for failure sooner than later by not making originals. I mean is stuff like Hotel Transylvania 4, Trolls 3, Boss Baby 2, LEGO 3, The Grinch 2, Despicable Me 4, or SLOP 3 really that surefire of successes? I think appealing original ideas have better chances than those. Even WDAS will be in trouble eventually if they do start running through revival sequels. Aside from Frozen 3, I doubt third installments of anything else is as surefire of a success for them. 

6 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Have Disney movie with TV shows gotten Disney sequels (in the canon)?

What do you mean? Like the Aladdin TV show and the direct to video sequels? The only WDAS sequels that are canon and made by the main studio are The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 (if you even want to call that a sequel), Ralph Breaks the Internet, and soon Frozen 2. 

Unfortunately this is how it's going to be until audiences turn their back on them. Pretty much everyone now is content with just running their legacy properties into the ground until they stop making money. The big hope for originality is going to come from Netflix's ambitions.

As for Pixar, while I do hope they hold to their promise, I have a feeling the 2020s are going to be a rocky decade for them regardless. Much of the old creative talent has dispersed and they'll have to rely a lot more on their newer filmmakers. I expect they'll have to deal with a few more Good Dinosaurs as their brand has lost some drawing power both because of their more inconsistent resume recently and Lasseter's exit. 

Personally Onward is their first movie where I see the creatives as a liability. MU was unremarkable and the first images here don't do much to address my lower expectations. 

Edited by tribefan695

32 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What do you mean? Like the Aladdin TV show and the direct to video sequels? The only WDAS sequels that are canon and made by the main studio are The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 (if you even want to call that a sequel), Ralph Breaks the Internet, and soon Frozen 2. 

BH6 has tv series so a chance of it having a sequel movie is zero.  We know nothing certain about WDAS but I think next 2 movies will be something called Dragon Empire & musical by Byron Howard & Lin-Manuel Miranda.

• Like 1

I wonder if Disney is killing Blue Sky. That would be unfortunate and lots of jobs lost. Instead that should have been spun out as a separate entity. how many different Animation studios Disney will need. As things stand I wont be suprised if Disney/Pixar become one studio at some point especially with Lasseter being out.

36 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Unfortunately this is how it's going to be until audiences turn their back on them. Pretty much everyone now is content with just running their legacy properties into the ground until they stop making money. The big hope for originality is going to come from Netflix's ambitions.

As for Pixar, while I do hope they hold to their promise, I have a feeling the 2020s are going to be a rocky decade for them regardless. Much of the old creative talent has dispersed and they'll have to rely a lot more on their newer filmmakers. I expect they'll have to deal with a few more Good Dinosaurs as their brand has lost some drawing power both because of their more inconsistent resume recently and Lasseter's exit. 

Personally Onward is their first movie where I see the creatives as a liability. MU was unremarkable and the first images here don't do much to address my lower expectations. 

MU has a bad concept since day 1, i don’t think the director can do much better with that plot. 

Onward otherwise is a very interesting, promising and personal story, and the images are really pretty, so this actually has the potential for being really good. Let’s wait to see what happens, a lot of respectable directors from Pixar are new when they delivers their first masterpiece.

I did not see Mu in theaters but it was very well made. Prequels are rarely interesting. I am sure Onward if it has a good concept will be executed very well by Scanlon. That said I hope we see Pete Docter, Unkrich, Stanton and Bird back with new movies. They seem to take too long between movies.

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I wonder if Disney is killing Blue Sky. That would be unfortunate and lots of jobs lost. Instead that should have been spun out as a separate entity. how many different Animation studios Disney will need. As things stand I wont be suprised if Disney/Pixar become one studio at some point especially with Lasseter being out.

I’ve been wondering that for a while. In their new slate, SID is in Christmas 2019, and Nimona which was supposed to come next February and is now at March 2021, and Foster has no date. I can see them keeping it but using it for Direct to Disney+ films.

I think WDAS and Pixar will remain separate as 2 brands are more powerful than one.