cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not gonna lie, I would've thought onward was only an adverb and I'm not sure I totally understand the difference between the definitions for the adjective and adverb form. 

I'm just looking at a dictionary.

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Unfortunately this is how it's going to be until audiences turn their back on them. Pretty much everyone now is content with just running their legacy properties into the ground until they stop making money. The big hope for originality is going to come from Netflix's ambitions.

As for Pixar, while I do hope they hold to their promise, I have a feeling the 2020s are going to be a rocky decade for them regardless. Much of the old creative talent has dispersed and they'll have to rely a lot more on their newer filmmakers. I expect they'll have to deal with a few more Good Dinosaurs as their brand has lost some drawing power both because of their more inconsistent resume recently and Lasseter's exit. 

Personally Onward is their first movie where I see the creatives as a liability. MU was unremarkable and the first images here don't do much to address my lower expectations. 

How is Pixar losing drawing power when their recent movies are coco and I2?

4 hours ago, AliasJester said:

The are originals, the next movies are Soul (a movie rumored to be directed by Pete Docter ) for June 19 2020 and Dragon Empire (directed by Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins) for November 25 2020.

Source: https://forum.pixarpost.com/post/brand-new-pixar-movie-soul-for-june-2020-10149153

https://forum.pixarpost.com/post/upcoming-pixar-films-10111353?&trail=30

https://screenrant.com/disney-animated-dragon-empire-film/

First time hearing any info about June 2020 pixar output, and directed by Pete Docter? really excited! Actually Dragon Empire sounds cool too,  3 original Animation from Disney to look forward to next year! 

• Like 1

Regarding Onward, I don't think the aesthetics from the first pictures look very appealing, that's  not what I expected it to look at all after reading the descriptions. Not worried though because that's exactly how I felt about Inside out when they showed shots from the film, and turnout I loved it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Regarding Onward, I don't think the aesthetics from the first pictures look very appealing, that's  not what I expected it to look at all after reading the descriptions. Not worried though because that's exactly how I felt about Inside out when they showed shots from the film, and turnout I loved it.

What did you think they'd look like?

37 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What did you think they'd look like?

I guess... More Fantasy and less "Suburban" ? I know it's described as a suburban fantasy but somehow I expected the suburbs to not resemble actual suburbs by that much, and elves to not look exactly like blue humans with stretched ears. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I guess... More Fantasy and less "Suburban" ? I know it's described as a suburban fantasy but somehow I expected the suburbs to not resemble actual suburbs by that much, and elves to not look exactly like blue humans with stretched ears. 

Wait, why wouldn't the suburbs look like suburbs?

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I had a similar reaction. Something feels very.....un-Pixar like. I'm sure it'll be great in the end, but the initial photos leave more to be desired. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wait, why wouldn't the suburbs look like suburbs?

Since "where humans do not exist" sounded like an important part of the description, I thought they would take more creative freedom in aesthetic & stylistic choices, what we're seeing is actually "humanoid elves in a human-like suburb" kind of setting, which could turn out really cool, we'll have to see.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Since "where humans do not exist" sounded like an important part of the description, I thought they would take more creative freedom in aesthetic & stylistic choices, what we're seeing is actually "humanoid elves in a human-like suburb" kind of setting, which could turn out really cool, we'll have to see.

How did Zootopia look different from a human city?

I am really excited about this movie, I think it can be as good as Zootopia. If the quality for the new Pixar and new WDAS movies for next year are as good as their latter original films (Coco, Moana, Zootopia, Inside Out) then I think they will be big hits. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Seems appropriate to dig this up right now. (sorry Tree, but this is ridiculous)

I don't see how it can be used as an adjective. an adjective is a descriptor for a noun. an adverb is a descriptor for a verb. You can't describe something as "onward". 

Maybe there's some interpretation in that dictionary where it can be used as an adjective but 99% of the time its used as an adverb and more to the point, its used as an adverb in the title of this film. so it should be 

"Disney's ADVERB"

I know i say some dumb shit sometimes but I'm right here and anyone with a grasp of English would agree. That may be the problem actually - you are all american.

Edited by Avatree