Finnick

Tuesday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$7.38M | GT:$4.44M | SMH:$4.13M | APES:$3.32M | DP3:$2.85M | BD:$1.14M

Emoji's hope for the summer is to take advantage of the "what the heck am I gonna take my kids to in August, since I can't stomach sitting through DM3 again" advantage it can exploit...

I mean, here's my 12 for the weekend...

Atomic Blonde R - Out

Ghost Story R - Out

Baby Driver R - Out

Girls Trip R - Out

The Big Sick R - Out

Dunkirk PG-13 (should've probably been R) - Out

Planet of the Apes PG-13 (should've probably been R) - Out

So that leaves...

Valerian PG-13 - not gonna be for 10 and unders

Spidey and WW PG-13 - both currently taking huge advantage of total emptiness for families, but still only for 7 and ups and only so many times you can see the same movie

DM3 - PG - HUGE winner in the "nothing for 6 and unders" category

Emoji - Probably the only new thing to see b/c everything else has been out 3 weeks+, except Valerian...

If Emoji pulls Boss Baby reviews, it will pull Boss Baby numbers b/c of the wasteland for families...however, if it pulls Mummy/Baywatch/TF5 reviews...watch Spidey and DM3 (and WW) keep holding all through August at crazy rates...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Pretty good number for Homecoming. Monday was to good to be true and it was obvious that it would even out today..

I expect around 31% drop on wed but will surely hope for better. It still looks like 320-325 mill if it can drop 45-47% this weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Pretty good number for Homecoming. Monday was to good to be true and it was obvious that it would even out today..

I expect around 31% drop on wed but will surely hope for better. It still looks like 320-325 mill if it can drop 45-47% this weekend

I think it's stabilizing from now on and that weekend drop will be much better as Emoji and Atomic are no direct competition. It's weathered the storm of Dunkirk, Apes, Valerian and to an extent Girl Trip (female audience) and it's overtaken Apes and Valerian. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Anyone else see the IMAX announcement today? They are giving up on 3D for the most part. It's about time they started offering more 2D shows. 

YES!  

It's obvious looking at theater charts that 3D is the last thing to sell out when a theater has other options, unless it happens to be attached to IMAX, but that's in spite of being 3D.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

YES!  

It's obvious looking at theater charts that 3D is the last thing to sell out when a theater has other options, unless it happens to be attached to IMAX, but that's in spite of being 3D.

3D ratios gonna totally collapse without IMAX propping it up. I didn't get to see Force Awakens in IMAX due to this rigid insistence on 3D shows. But I am excited to see Last Jedi, Blade Runner, and Infinity War in 2D IMAX. 

Speaking of which, I did notice the other day that the Blade Runner trailer says "3D and IMAX," which I thought was strange. The IMAX announcement today confirmed that they intend to have Blade Runner in 2D IMAX. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

3D ratios gonna totally collapse without IMAX propping it up. I didn't get to see Force Awakens in IMAX due to this rigid insistence on 3D shows. But I am excited to see Last Jedi, Blade Runner, and Infinity War in 2D IMAX. 

Speaking of which, I did notice the other day that the Blade Runner trailer says "3D and IMAX," which I thought was strange. The IMAX announcement today confirmed that they intend to have Blade Runner in 2D IMAX. 

I wonder if a studio can insist on IMAX 3D on certain titles like say Ready Player One.

• Like 1

Girls Trip finally received its Certified Fresh designation at RT today. The low number of reviews due to geek and foreign reviewers steering clearing of the film was the likely reason. The film is definitely going to have some long legs, probably long enough to reach $100M+.

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Girls Trip finally received its Certified Fresh designation at RT today. The low number of reviews due to geek and foreign reviewers steering clearing of the film was the likely reason. The film is definitely going to have some long legs, probably long enough to reach $100M+.

That's why I think some critics are not legitimate film critics. A true film critic should be open to see  at least every wide release film.

7 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

That's why I think some critics are not legitimate film critics. A true film critic should be open to see  at least every wide release film.

It is perfectly normal for at least foreign critics, "real" film critics will tend to see 350-400 movie a year I think ?

There is around 150-160 wide release in the US, around 500-600 limited.

Foreign critic will not really care for the wide domestic release factor and will review hundreds of foreign movie so they have an obvious pass.

For movie critic here, if you want to watch just 35% of the non wide release and some festival/foreign stuff than end up never being released (200-250 title or so) you will probably need to filter some of the 150-160 down for your schedule.

Maybe reviewer should concentrate on wide release, critics probably not they are more important for stuff that have yet to even get a distributor arguably.

13 hours ago, YourMother said:

I think some PLFS at theaters like Marcus will be pissed off giving Emoji Ultrascreen.

17 of theaters with Ultrascreen are giving to emoji movie.  What parent is going to pay extra to see it. Plus I find most animation on PLF useless since they do not use the sound system to the fullest. Most theaters turn down sound for families movies since to load of sounds can be unpleasant for children

• Like 2

Last time I will try to be hopeful about Apes... last week's drops in []

3.32 Tuesday

2.16 (-35%) [-38%]

1.95 (-10%) [-15%]

3.12 (+60%) [+59%]

4.52 (+45%) [+42%]

3.41 (-24.5%) [-24%]

11.05 weekend (-47%)

If you look at last week's holds [], I haven't been very optimistic with this week's projections. Hopefully they hold.

12 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Anyone else see the IMAX announcement today? They are giving up on 3D for the most part. It's about time they started offering more 2D shows. 

I think it depends on the movie. However I think they'll keep 3D for international audiences. But this will help sales domestically. Also two important notes I got from there: one is that they'll be more IMAX movies with less time staying in IMAX theaters which can help studios with family films like Illumination or Pixar or WAG to get Grinch, Incredibles, Lego 2, and other films into theaters. It can also help get horror movies into IMAX too like IT or Slenderman. The other note is movies filmed in IMAX will get longer windows to stay in IMAX like Infinity War or Dunkirk.

• Like 1