MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Am I missing something?

Will Emoji secretly outgross the average Pixar movie?

Apes and Dunkirk having a weak DOM run poses a much greater threat to mature-adult themed summer cinema.

Though I think it's unfair to single those movies out when almost everything except a few movies disappointed this summer.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It sends a message to studios that audiences will watch any animated movie no matter how bad it is. That studios will make money for not even trying.

That's VERY bad for cinema.

It's too late for that, Boss Baby made 175m.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It sends a message to studios that audiences will watch any animated movie no matter how bad it is. That studios will make money for not even trying.

Studios have been making terrible animated movies since the beginning of time. This isn't anything new. 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

They can't all be PIXAR type movies. Sometimes people just want to escape the real world. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It sends a message to studios that audiences will which any animated movie no matter how bad it is. That studios will make money for not even trying.

Hey! remember you are gonna take your family and that 10 year old to detroit. Change the plans and go to Emoji movie. They will thank you later.

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Will American Made continue that trend, or is it not Doug Liman enough? Pete Hammond is hearing it's Cruise's best film in a long time, but it is Pete Hammond after all.

you made me curious so i googled. he says " I hear it is the best thing he’s done in years acting-wise. " that doesn't mean the movie is good...

54 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

There are plenty of success stories of good movies doing good things this summer. Fucking Baby Driver man. It's still my favorite movie of the year and it's run is spectacular. Wonder Woman a superhero origin that really does a great job of creating it's character while also being an exploration of war? Yep. 400M+ Dunkirk, not my favorite movie but a godly director with all the freedom in the world and people show up. 

The pessimism here is insane

wow, you know this thread took a turn when Ethan is one of the ones making the most sense :P 

kidding Ethan, but your good point still stands

Edited by 75livesinDerry
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Am I missing something?

Apes and Dunkirk having a weak DOM run poses a much greater threat to mature-adult themed summer cinema.

Though I think it's unfair to single those movies out when almost everything except a few movies disappointed this summer.

Wait a second here. You are saying Dunkirk's run is weak? Numerous people here thought it would struggle to go much above $100m and it's going to pass that number this weekend. Tracking at one point pretty recent before release was $30-35m opening. The movie opened to $50m and probably end around $175m. That's a very good result considering the alternatives like Valerian's performance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Am I missing something?

I hope you didn't mean dunkrik is doing weak dom. 'cos it's doing good. Close to 3.5x, that's nolan to you.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Wait a second here. You are saying Dunkirk's run is weak? Numerous people here thought it would struggle to go much above $100m and it's going to pass that number this weekend. Tracking at one point pretty recent before release was $30-35m opening. The movie opened to $50m and probably end around $175m. That's a very good result considering the alternatives like Valerian's performance. 

Dunkirk's run is very very good. I was in the UNDER 100M club and i'm impressed with how good is doing.

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

So most people had this below Interstellar?

If that's the case I'll gladly retract my statement (regarding Dunkirk).

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

Emoji movie is the Trump of movies 

No. That comparison is ridiculous. The Emoji Movie may very well be a poorly made animation, but it is not trying to take anyone's rights away

• Like 1

Jeez.

As though what is good and what is not isnt subjective.

I enjoyed Boss Baby more than tje pretentiousness that Frozen was. 

Just because a movie is better reviewed doesnt mean people like it thw most.

The Secrer Life of Pets outgrossed Moana by a big margin. What was the better received movie??

Just now, grey ghost said:

So most people had this below Interstellar?

If that's the case I'll gladly retract my statement (regarding Dunkirk).

Yes they did have it below Interstellar. A lot of very experienced posters here felt $140-150m would be a good result. And it seems very likely to go well above that kind of number at this point. 

• Like 1