MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

That list has my old DUNKIRK number. My final prediction would skew everything... lower. :unsure: 

The point is, at worst, it's performing in line with our somewhat Nolan inflated expectations.

And at best, it's having a nice run

• Like 2

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

That list has my old DUNKIRK number. My final prediction would skew everything... lower. :unsure: 

A number of people became pretty pessimistic about it the closer we got to release. That 30-35 tracking number did not help. Warner Brothers patted themselves on the back for the marketing campaign, but most of us felt like the marketing sucked. Bad posters, average trailers, etc. The opening was almost entirely because of Nolan's name and the critical response.

WB wants to pat themselves on the back, but the truth is they never would have greenlit the project if Nolan wasn't involved. Clearly they had no idea how to market it judging by the material they put out. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The MCU is dumbing down people.

If you don't have jokes and quips every two minutes, GA aren't interested anymore.

Apes 3 seems too serious for its own good.

Call Joss W, Fox !

Oops, rumor has it he s no longer available ...

Were movies really that much better in the early and mid-2000's?

I remember it being a wasteland aside from a dozen or so stand outs.

The 90's were awesome tho.

Edited by grey ghost

19 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Apes movie deserves better . I am suprised its not doing well outside nerds and media crowd esp after first 2 movies

I've seen self-professed nerds bash the new trilogy, assuming it's just as bad as Burton's version or saying the first two were average.

They should all have their nerd cards revoked.

• Like 1

The "Tomato Law" doesn't mean anything. In other words, it means jackshit.  Why are people surprised that Emoji is performing ok?

Critics and audiences will always have their own opinions. It Comes At Night is certified fresh, but its audience score is lower than The Mummy's audience score. That's just one example.

Tomatometer, Audience Score and word of mouth are 3 different things. 

I talked to 10 people who watched Apes.

Spoiler

They all say the movie is good, but it was a drama sold as an action movie. Audiences want more than a drama about apes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Can we please celebrate Baby Driver nearing and sure to be reaching 100M soon instead?

Yeah. I like those performance charts on the-numbers.com, they are quite telling, and I love how Baby Driver pisses on the shaded area. :D

chart_bd.png

The shaded area represents the expected performance range for a film, based on its opening weekend box office. 95% of films fall within the shaded area. If a film trends towards the top end of the shaded area, it has good legs compared to the average film; if it trends towards the bottom end of the shaded area, it has poor legs. The predictive area is based on movies from the past 5 years.

I think moving BD's release date up to June was a master stroke by Sony. Moving it to the most crowded weeks of the summer could have become a suicide, but they probably knew the film will survive thanks to great word of mouth. It was a bold move that paid off perfectly.

• Like 3

Tomato Law works imo. But It just tell us what movies are trash. It shows in the legs of a movie. But OW marketing has an important role too

RT can screw up too. There are films that don't deserve rotten

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Tomato Law works imo. It just shows what movies are trash. It shows in the legs of a movie. But OW marketing has an important role too

How do you explain Apes which has a Dark Knight level average?

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I have not watched this franchise, but from what ive read people say its more drama/too dark. That doesnt have replay value. especially for a big summer franchise that should firstly be entertaining

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have not watched this franchise, but from what ive read people say its more drama/too dark. That doesnt have replay value. especially for a big summer franchise that should firstly be entertaining

I guess my thoughts are if tomato law worked then it would get past the too dark situation and have great legs anyway.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think the second act of Apes is a bit too slow for general audiences expecting a war thriller type movie. The title and marketing tend to backfire once people see it and realize it's not the movie Fox sold to them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I guess my thoughts are if tomato law worked then it would get past the too dark situation and have great legs anyway.

Tomato Law may be exaggerated, but it doesn't mean for certainty, it more like a suggest, higher RT score suggest a better than tracking performance, and higher RT suggest better legs and vice versa....

If tomato law leads to a a sure-outcome, then all marketing executives will just pack their bag and stay at home forever until they turns into rotten...... 

• Like 1