MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

51 minutes ago, El Panda Machos said:

It's too late for that, Boss Baby made 175m.

Pixar beat them all. Shit movies making gobs of money. :kitschjob:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

29 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Literally the Pixar fanboys are probably the most irritating part of the site imo.

I cant stand the pretentiousness. They act like no other animated studio should have any success because anything but Pixars/WDAS is just bullshit and they go even further pointing that Illumination/SPA is degrading the animation genre....blah blah blah.

I just cant. Its fucking movies for kids and kids like them. Whats so important?

I don't think anyone wants a studio to fail but studios like SPA who have put out good films in the past but a film like The Emoji Movie being bad not only hurts them in the long run but other animation as well. Animation isn't exclusively for children and it shouldn't be treated like throwaway entertainment. 

Also people do root for non Disney and Pixar films. I like the stuff Aardman and Laika so don't tar people with the same brush 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Emoji makes Minions looks like UP. Fortunately it was not as bad as NOTN but it was awful.

It'll be interesting how WOM affects its legs, could have worse legs than any animated sequel 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It'll be interesting how WOM affects its legs, could have worse legs than any animated sequel 

I mean. It's certainly better than something like Smurfs 1 and 2 on the SPA spectrum and I do agree that a 6% on RT is unfitting (19%-30% sure) for it and the fact the people are overreacting about the death of cinema. At least my cousins enjoyed it. Emoji's biggest crime imo is that it's so lazy. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Boss Baby was just harmless. Emoji is an offspring of satan.

But i really root for Annabelle in 2 weeks. August is just a wasteland and i love when (good) horror movies break out.

• Like 1

I don't want Emoji to flop though, since the animators not the executives that obviously meddled with it will get the short end of the stick. It's very run of the mill and it's not even in the top ten worst animated movies, and that frustrates me, even Minions gave some good laughs. I'd say it's probably a D/D+. On the bright side, Puppy was a fun short.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Boss Baby was just harmless. Emoji is an offspring of satan.

But i really root for Annabelle in 2 weeks. August is just a wasteland and i love when (good) horror movies break out.

I really liked Lights Out so for the director's sake I am hoping for it to overcome the tepid reception of the first film and do well.

• Like 1

Let me rank both animation this year and SPA:

Lego Batman: A-

Captain Underpants: B+

Boss Baby: B

DM3: C+

Smurfs: The Lost Village: C

Emoji: D/D+

SPA (non Aardman):

Cloudy 1: A

Surfs Up: A

HT1: A-

HT2: B+

Goosebumps: B

Open Season: C+

Cloudy 2: C

Smurfs: The Lost Village: C

Emoji: D/D+

Smurfs 2: D

Smurfs 1: F

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

lego batman only cartoon i've seen this year. and if the reviews are good Coco will be the only other one. bad year for the form.

But, but, the cars with a soul ?

:(

• Like 1

I'm not looking forward to that much in August (Detroit, Annabelle, Logan Lucky, and Hitman's Bodyguard are my only must sees barring indies), but I'm sure I'll figure out some way to see 10 movies next month :lol: 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lego batman only cartoon i've seen this year. and if the reviews are good Coco will be the only other one. bad year for the form.

Weren't you looking forward to Captain Underpants?

• Like 1