MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

I'm crossing my fingers for a huge Girls Trip increase on Saturday and soft drop on Sunday because I would love for its second weekend to outgross Apes' second weekend. I would have loved to have seen the betting odds for that proposition when the summer began. It likely won't happen but at least GT's second weekend will be greater than Valerian's first weekend!

• Like 1

Just now, LonePirate said:

I'm crossing my fingers for a huge Girls Trip increase on Saturday and soft drop on Sunday because I would love for its second weekend to outgross Apes' second weekend. I would have loved to have seen the betting odds for that proposition when the summer began. It likely won't happen but at least GT's second weekend will be greater than Valerian's first weekend!

I liked your post because I'm happy for Girls Trip's success, but I don't like seeing Apes get crapped on either. That movie is much better than how the box office is treating it. 

Animated movies not have to be Pixar level of deepness. Some of the best ones work as full comedies. Like Kung Fu Panda, Despicable Me, Rio, Shrek 2, the Madagascar franchise, and numerous more. Not all have to be straight comedic either, some can be pretty mature, strong, or ambitious pictures like Rango, Coraline, and Owls of Gahoole.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

That insane 2nd weekend hold from already impressive 1st weekend, suggest that woman audience remain unserved by the studio and remain largely commercially potential  after the monstrous WW.

5 minutes ago, El Panda Machos said:

That's odd, there's a theater in DFW that's playing 7 showings of Detroit today.  I didn't think it was doing a limited rollout.

It was announced last Friday.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Animated movies not have to be Pixar level of deepness. Some of the best ones work as full comedies. Like Kung Fu Panda, Despicable Me, Rio, Shrek 2, the Madagascar franchise, and numerous more. Not all have to be straight comedic either, some can be pretty mature, strong, or ambitious pictures like Rango, Coraline, and Owls of Gahoole.

Aardman and WAG have got the balance right with their approach to their films. You can be funny but still be ambitious like Chicken Run or Shaun the Sheep 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Aardman and WAG have got the balance right with their approach to their films. You can be funny but still be ambitious like Chicken Run or Shaun the Sheep 

Even if it's not ambitious, they can still be funny and work, that's why KFP1, the Madagascar movies, Shrek 2, Rio, DM1, Ice Age, and HT1 and other animated comedies work, that's why Illumination (even though I have mixed feelings on them) has lasted so long. I mean I get animated movies are targeted first and foremost for kids but it shouldn't have to just entertain them only.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Still think it's going to modest business at best 

True. Also I think Emoji despite the bad WOM among adults can leg it out to $80M-$100M.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Thing is Emoji is not godawful, or even in the top 15 worst animated movies but it's so lazy it feels like a cash grab.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Thing is Emoji is not godawful, or even in the top 15 worst animated movies but it's so lazy it feels like a cash grab.

Most of Sony's animated films this year feel like a cash grab. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

$80m is more likely IMO but I doubt SPA will do a sequel unless it's DTV

Depends on OS but $250M WW seems likely for it. 2017 outside of DM3 is 2011 all over again for animated movies except this time they're performing weaker OS.

• Like 1