MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So four wide releases plus a few very well-received smaller movies? That's not really that bad. It'll suck BO wise but quality wise gonna be better than April, May and June for sure. 

Fair point. April was a fucking wasteland with one good movie, and May only had GOTG and Alien. CU, ICAN, and BD came out of June, otherwise that month was full of 7s and 6s for me. Oh, and it also had the worst movie of the year :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

"IT" is going to rule September. 

Annabelle and IT will make more dough for WB in the next couple of months, post WONDR and Dunkirk.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

A number of people became pretty pessimistic about it the closer we got to release. That 30-35 tracking number did not help. Warner Brothers patted themselves on the back for the marketing campaign, but most of us felt like the marketing sucked. Bad posters, average trailers, etc. The opening was almost entirely because of Nolan's name and the critical response.

WB wants to pat themselves on the back, but the truth is they never would have greenlit the project if Nolan wasn't involved. Clearly they had no idea how to market it judging by the material they put out. 

I thought Dunkirk was advertised a lot but not always effectively... They weren't really sure of what angle to hype beyond, "WWII action, by Chris Nolan!" Compare it to Saving Private Ryan, which not only had a name director but a huge star and the trailers made the plot clear, or Pearl Harbor, which had the romance element to go with the action, and Ben Affleck was a much bigger star than the lead in Dunkirk. It seems like there was some edict to minimize Harry Styles in the studio's marketing until about two weeks before it came out, though you can say the celebrity media and social media more than made up for the slack in that area. But they also didn't feature Tom Hardy as much as they could have.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I just can't get over how Rough Night got all of the attention but Girls Trip is the one killing it at the box office.

Sadly no surprise, the presence of ScarJo and an SNL darling were enough for the media to overlook the unappealing premise. Movies where most of the leads aren't white can get pigeonholed as only appealing to the "urban" audience and not worth discussing alongside movies made for "everyone", it's unfortunate. Though I have to say that many BOT posters were championing GT's potential to break out.

48 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think a certain portion of the Emoji Movie's OW audience is the “oh my god it looks so bad let's see it as a joke" crowd. So I don't think (at least the initial) legs will be very good

Shouldn't Oogieloves have had a $20M OW then? :lol: IDK if "so bad it's good" actually ever draws a substantial crowd to theaters, unless it becomes a cult thing over time. The reviews here didn't matter because it was sold with a poop emoji, you knew critics were always going to trash it.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

IndieWire: "Franchises have failed, while original stories have owned the summer box office."

2_gif.gif

Right, that's why the three top-grossing films (WW, GOTGv2, and SM:H) of the summer are part of huge cinematic franchises. 

I don't think franchise are dead, straight sequel are in trouble more i guess, and WW carry significant of originality make GA feel like it's an original movie. 

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Shouldn't Oogieloves have had a $20M OW then? :lol: IDK if "so bad it's good" actually ever draws a substantial crowd to theaters, unless it becomes a cult thing over time. The reviews here didn't matter because it was sold with a poop emoji, you knew critics were always going to trash it.

Fair enough. I just know a group of my friends did that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't think franchise are dead, straight sequel are in trouble more i guess, and WW carry significant of originality make GA feel like it's an original movie. 

Yeah. I agree with this sentiment to some degree. A number of sequels and franchise films did topple or do much less than expected while original things like Baby Driver and Dunkirk did very well (and the big one, Get Out, if you wanna extend outside of summer)

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fair point. April was a fucking wasteland with one good movie, and May only had GOTG and Alien. CU, ICAN, and BD came out of June, otherwise that month was full of 7s and 6s for me. Oh, and it also had the worst movie of the year :lol: 

It Comes At Night was a letdown, The Beguiled was a bigger letdown, and Baby Driver was a huge letdown, only WW and maybe My Cousin Rachel helped June. July easily the best month quality wise - the three of the top four movies of the entire year have dropped in the past three weeks, plus the tolerable Spider-Man. Seeing AB today and Lady MacBeth tomorrow..

• Like 1

July was a solid month. Homecoming was a solid A, Dunkirk and Apes nailed it (A+), even Valerian was a pretty solid B. Only Emoji sucked. Hopefully I can catch Blonde.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Right, that's why the three top-grossing films (WW, GOTGv2, and SM:H) of the summer are part of huge cinematic franchises. 

This, we are so use to franchise dominating by now that people can make article like that, when:

1 Wonder Woman WB $392,888,706 4,165 $103,251,471 4,165 6/2 -
2 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $387,572,407 4,347 $146,510,104 4,347 5/5 -
3 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $268,806,805 4,348 $117,027,503 4,348 7/7 -
4 Despicable Me 3 Uni. $224,999,905 4,535 $72,434,025 4,529 6/30 -
5 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $170,858,161 4,276 $62,983,253 4,276 5/26 -
6 Cars 3 BV $145,699,093 4,256 $53,688,680 4,256 6/16 -
7 Transformers: The Last Knight Par. $128,389,479 4,132 $44,680,073 4,069 6/21 -
8 War for the Planet of the Apes Fox $111,287,629 4,100 $56,262,929 4,022 7/14 -
9 Baby Driver TriS $89,171,188 3,226 $20,553,320 3,226 6/28 -
10 Dunkirk WB $82,706,220 3,748 $50,513,488 3,720 7/21 -
11 The Mummy (2017) Uni. $79,529,695 4,035 $31,688,375 4,035 6/9 -
12 Alien: Covenant Fox $74,111,463 3,772 $36,160,621 3,761 5/19 -
13 Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie Fox $72,253,606 3,529 $23,851,539 3,434 6/2 -
14 Baywatch Par. $58,060,186 3,647 $18,503,871 3,647 5/25 7/27
15 Girls Trip Uni. $51,639,220 2,648 $31,201,920 2,591 7/21 -

100% of the summer top 8 are not only franchise entry, but many really old franchise.

Only 2 non franchise in the top 10 and that was because Mummy/Alien were not that good movies or they would be there, only 3 non-ip in the top 15

Franchise movies have again completely dominated the summer, except for Dunkirk would not be surprising if not one original movie will do 33% of WW and Guardian or half of spider-man 6.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It Comes At Night was a letdown, The Beguiled was a bigger letdown, and Baby Driver was a huge letdown, only WW and maybe My Cousin Rachel helped June. July easily the best month quality wise - the three of the top four movies of the entire year have dropped in the past three weeks, plus the tolerable Spider-Man. Seeing AB today and Lady MacBeth tomorrow..

If I count The Big Sick as June, that becomes the better month for me. Dunkirk is an 8.5, AB, SMH, and Apes are 8s, and Valerian is a 7. Plus, Wish Upon was a blast to watch. July had the quantity, but BD and ICAN are ahead of everything released in July for me (excluding Big Sick)

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

- the three of the top four movies of the entire year have dropped in the past three weeks, 

Three? Pretty sure I know two of what you're referring to (even if I sorta disagree with one of them) but curious as to what the third one you refer to is

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Three? Pretty sure I know two of what you're referring to (even if I sorta disagree with one of them) but curious as to what the third one you refer to is

Dunkirk, Apes, and Big Sick. Big Sick went wide this month, I'm counting it as July, just like I'm counting Detroit as August despite dropping in NYC/LA this weekend.

The only time I count the super limited date for rankings purposes is if it's a late December release that gets bumped into January for wide, because I want to include those on award lists.

Edited by Cmasterclay

I know it is complete wishful thinking, and I don't want anybody's (including my own expectations) to explode, but.... given the absolutely Godsmacking crazy buzz surrounding that thing, could It be the 1st September movie to flirt w/100M OW (kinda like American Sniper in January)?

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is true if we completely ignore Superhero movies

Also, anytime I see the phrase 'The Numbers Don't Lie', i automatically add "and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice" @CJohn

We also need to ignore Valerian, of course.

Greatest promo in wrestling history

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Dunkirk, Apes, and Big Sick. Big Sick went wide this month, I'm counting it as July, just like I'm counting Detroit as August despite dropping in NYC/LA this weekend.

Oh okay. That's fair. Big Sick and Apes are probably both in my top four

• Like 1