MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I feel POOPMOJI could do 11.5 on Sat.

26% bump from 9.1 true Friday.

What are you talking about? The planned spinoff won't be here for a couple years yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If you do a shot for shot remake of a classic movie, it's kinda tough for it to turn out "terrible." But the very concept of the shot-for-shot remake cash grab is what bothers a lot of people. 

10 minutes ago, That Atomic Guy said:

Because it feels like a carbon copy of the original, and everything that's "new" feels tacked on and forced.  Impressive production design and costumes can't save an otherwise soulless movie.

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I don't know about others, but I certainly think it was unbearably bad. From Emma Watson's "singing" to the Beast's visuals, everything paled in comparison to the magic of the original, IMO. Yes, I hated it. 

Wow! See, these are the reactions that I have seen. I guess that is the beauty of movies or any art form. People see it and call it very differently. I did not watch it from a film critic's pov. I did not know the budget or any background. I appreciated the message that it, as well as the original conveyed, which was that love is boundless. Call me a romantic. Lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You sure? MovieTickets percentage yesterday was 26% and it's 19% right now. 

Not sure. Just think that the PG demographic will show up on Sat no matter what the reviews and all. They also may not be represented much on MovieTikckets, etc.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

What are you talking about? The planned spinoff won't be here for a couple years yet.

If they actually call it Emoji: Poop/shit happens. Would be so......Sony.

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

Only thing that will fuck It isn't WOM or any second weekend drop (Horror films are traditionally front-loaded as fuck, even the well-received ones). It's our expectations for the 3-day.

That said.. yeah I'm definitely on the "It will explode!" group.

I'll go one step further. Highest grossing horror film (unadjusted!) If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I have a feeling about this.

Just now, a2knet said:

Not sure. Just think that the PG demographic will show up on Sat no matter what the reviews and all. They also may not be represented much on MovieTikckets, etc.

Except MovieTickets was pretty accurate yesterday. It was quite a bit higher than Dunkirk yesterday on MT and grossed $1.5m more at the box office (true Friday). The PG demographic is also out of school right now and showed up during the day yesterday. Might not jump as much as you think. Either that or Dunkirk is having a helluva jump today. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, That Atomic Guy said:

Rough Night was funny.  Not as funny as Girls Trip, but I'd put it as a slightly better film overall (Girls Trip got dragged down by the melodramatic moments for me)

The best Marvel Movies are the ones not made by Disney.

Soulless is the new popular buzzword.

Re: BatB - I know some of you don't appreciate the shot for shot remake style of the movie but there is a whole wide world outside of BOT and the rest of the internet and that is exactly what many people wanted! Lots of them dont want anything added to a classic tale just for the sake of doing something new. Seeing a classic animated fairy tale brought to life in live action is a big enough deal and that's why it made the money it did.

I'm short, this movie is not soulless. Give me a break. It just didn't wet some of your appetites, which is absolutely fine.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

Just now, JB33 said:

I know some of you don't appreciate the shot for shot remake style of the movie but there is a whole wide world outside of BOT and the rest of the internet and that is exactly what many people wanted! Lots of them dont want anything added to a classic tale just for the sake of doing something new. Seeing a classic animated fairy tale brought to life in live action is a big enough deal and that's why it made the money it did.

I'm short, this movie is not soulless. Give me a break. It just didn't wet some of your appetites, which is absolutely fine. Just don't speak for the millions of other people who were asking for exactly what this movie is.

The thing is, people don't know they want something until they get it.  They're pandering to what the "focus groups" wanted to see rather than bringing in a director with a vision.  They could've tried to put their own spin on it rather than just copying it shot for shot and people still would've probably liked it.  But nope, originality is overrated, let's copy the animated one,

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Wow! See, these are the reactions that I have seen. I guess that is the beauty of movies or any art form. People see it and call it very differently. I did not watch it from a film critic's pov. I did not know the budget or any background. I appreciated the message that it, as well as the original conveyed, which was that love is boundless. Call me a romantic. Lol

I don't even know what watching a film "from a critic's POV" means.  I am a moviegoer, plain and simple. The film did not engage me intellectually or emotionally. It did not thrill me or make me laugh; it did not make me cry or even smile. Furthermore, its 'love is boundless' message felt stale and tired in the context of the remake's execution. To me (yes,to ME) it was soulless. Absolutely devoid of soul.  This is all my opinion, of course. If you loved it, more power to you. Clearly, audiences could not get enough of it. But audiences loving it does not invalidate my opinion or the opinion of anyone who thinks it is a soulless endeavor.   We all like different stuff, and it's ok...

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Re: BatB - I know some of you don't appreciate the shot for shot remake style of the movie but there is a whole wide world outside of BOT and the rest of the internet and that is exactly what many people wanted! Lots of them dont want anything added to a classic tale just for the sake of doing something new. Seeing a classic animated fairy tale brought to life in live action is a big enough deal and that's why it made the money it did.

I'm short, this movie is not soulless. Give me a break. It just didn't wet some of your appetites, which is absolutely fine. Just don't speak for the millions of other people who were asking for exactly what this movie is.

I think people would rather see original properties, but it's not encouraging when a John Carter flops hard while a TJB or BATB remake becomes a huge box office hit for the same studio. It encourages them to take zero risks. Even something like Inside Out, which was successful enough to encourage more risks by Disney, ended up dwarfed by an unnecessary Nemo sequel not long after that. 

• Like 2