MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know it is complete wishful thinking, and I don't want anybody's (including my own expectations) to explode, but.... given the absolutely Godsmacking crazy buzz surrounding that thing, could It be the 1st September movie to flirt w/100M OW (kinda like American Sniper in January)?

I'm thinking IT OW > Dark Tower Domestic gross

• Like 1

I think people need to stop to have movie categorisation like dividing gender(male or female), in the sense of discrete 

As movie history become longer and longer, and franchise modelling become dominant, I suggest we categorise movie like a spectrum, they are not discretely differ from one another.

In we take original movie like original idea in the strict sense, then I guess there will no more original movie in the marketplace. In this context i mean, the 1st HP could be an original film despite it's adapted from published material, not original idea of course.

eg: Get out, 100% originality, WW, 80% original; Rogue one 50%, minion: 35%; JL; 25%; POTC5 and Apes, 0%, instead of we look them like, get out: original, rogue one/ Apes/WW: franchise. 

I guess the audience now don't want something that posses low originality...... 

• Like 1

I am so happy for Girls Trip. Comedies have done poorly this summer and this one is a gem. I feel the most sorry for Apes. The movie is somber, but entertaining. Hopefully the studio breaks even when everything is taken into account. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think people need to stop to have movie categorisation like dividing gender(male or female), in the sense of discrete 

Could be a "freshness" level, Cloud Atlas was a book adaptation but few movie ever felt more "original" to those who didn't had read the book, same for Guardian of the galaxy vs Antman/Dr.Strange type of more classic SH origin story.

I think people certainly already do in part what you are saying, they will consider has more "original" There will be blood/Cloud Atlas/Dunkirk/most biopic/historical event than an original script of a classic genre/tropes like an raunchy party comedy released after Hangover (The House, sister, etc...) or the usual Kevin James/Adam Sandler entry.

A lot of a movie originality is the characters, so if those were already created in the pass (or are common archetype) it is hard to really give an high originality score.

From a box office point of view, it is much more franchise/ip vs non franchise/ip that matter, original or adapted is irrelevant, if you are an adaptation of an unknown book or a remake of an unknown foreign movie for example that change nothing.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I just can't get over how Rough Night got all of the attention but Girls Trip is the one killing it at the box office.

Ones funny. The other isnt.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm thinking IT OW > Dark Tower Domestic gross

Me too. I'm predicting "IT" opens with 75mil right now. And no I'm not saying it's a failure if it doesn't reach those heights but that's my prediction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Me too. I'm predicting "IT" opens with 75mil right now. And no I'm not saying it's a failure if it doesn't reach those heights but that's my prediction.

I'm being cautious and thinking $50-60m which would still break the September record. $75m is doable if WB really ramps up marketing 

16 minutes ago, ArrowOfTime said:

So WW Friday's estimate is 930k (as in the title) or 985k (as in posts here)?

Whatever the official studio estimate has it at......pretty sure its 985.

• Like 3

I guess we are all hoping that IT does something really special on opening weekend. But if it "only" opens to 40 million that is still a massive win for it. If it "only" makes 100 million that's still a massive win for it. But of course we all want and think it will do much bigger things.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

I feel the most sorry for Apes. The movie is somber, but entertaining. Hopefully the studio breaks even when everything is taken into account. 

IF those low budget 150m rumors are true (the second one had a 235 million gross budget) it should make a good profit (specially that there is not much movie star getting first dollar gross point here to make it harder).

It could even do movie budget + bonus before break even at the domestic box office alone, usually when you achieve that on a movie of a mid budget or more (say over 25m) you are in a really good position and you never loose real money, except if it changed recently that is the only box office rules of thumb that seem to be true in all eras, if you do over budget+bonus before Break even point at the dbo you should be ok bar a terrible home video performance + terrible oversea performance, but even then you should not loose real money.

Almost none of the sony released movie between 2006 and 2014 lost money if they did that, and the exceptions are movie like those:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=30minutesorless.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $37,053,924    91.4%
Foreign:  $3,493,516    8.6%

= Worldwide:  $40,547,440

On a 31 million budget + 45 million P&A, loosing 13m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1