CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

Either Fri/Sat were overpushed (which.... I don't know about that), or Sun was wayyyy underballed. Either way, actuals will be very interesting.

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:
Annabelle: Creation grossed an estimated $4.0M this weekend. 31-Day total stands at $96.27M. #AnnabelleCreation #BoxOffice

A:C looks to be the highest grossing movie of the Conjuring Universe. 

100M is a done deal for DOM. Despite being the smallest opener of the 4 movies so far, and a prequel to an awfully recieved prequel spin-off, it has a multiplier of almost 3x. Unbelievable. The Conjuring franchise is a phenomenon.

So between Florida and Houston, It probably lost 4-7% this weekend.  On top of that, think about this...

I track theaters across the Indianapolis market and one thing I noticed was that Theater Chains were not prepared for a $100M+ OW from It.  What I mean is, as of last week my local only had two shows for Thursday.  Then as supply started to dry from pre-sales they added two more shows a couple days before release.  But our earlier shows sold out (sans single seats and a few front row groupings) nearly three hours before showtime.  One would think that you'd add another early show to not turn away business, but instead they added another late show.  All three of those late shows did very well, nearly selling out.

Here's the thing, films like Iron Man 2, Rogue One, Dark Knight Rises, Suicide Squad, Civil War, GOTG2, etc. have ample shows at the ready on Thursday and definitely for the rest of the weekend.  But that didn't happen here.

I went to see It last night at 7pm and there was a white board in the lobby telling customers that all the remaining It shows were sold out.  That was 6 more showings... SOLD OUT hours before showtime.  This was typical throughout the city.  When you think or expect a film that will open to 100M+ you prepare your theater, especially in a not crowded market like this weekend had.  This film should have had 60-70% of the showings for the weekend at most theaters.  Instead theaters turned a TON of business away.

I could see this film opening $150M+ if they had properly prepared for demand, the weather was normal and we weren't in the opening weekend of the NFL.

People were starving for this and studios/theaters should have seen that from social media alone.  Very proud of the film, but think of what could have been?!  The good news is the film will hold well while moviegoers catch up throughout the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Muschietti should spare his talents for actually good projects instead of getting suckered into the Disney machine and not being allowed to do what he wants

He'd make a great 4th director for The Flash. Or 3rd? 5th? Can't keep track.