CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

5 minutes ago, 75livesinDerry said:

he's probably asking because after seeing FB. why would he want to pick that as a username? :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually picked it before seeing it. If I remember correctly..

I regret it big time but not because I hated the moviee . I didn't..

Edited by FantasticBeasts

If IT has a $123M weekend there are 26 films above it for best OW ever.  It's Saturday number is higher than 12 of those 26 films... simply amazing.

Even more amazing, only 2 of those films had a higher True Friday to Saturday increase by percentage.  Oddly both released this year...  Beauty and the Beast (32%), and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (31.2%).

The highest Sunday drop of any of those 26 films was 34.4% from Hunger Games: Catching Fire... during an NFL Sunday from a November release.

I know it's NFL weekend and we have a hurricane on our hands, but I'm not sold on a 45% drop given the amount of demand this film had Saturday.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

No no no no! Yates is the best thing that happened to the HP movies. He knows his job and, most important of all, Rowling likes him. That is paramount when it comes to the movies coming out right. And even if WB would want to change the director, I doubt Rowling would let it happen. I think she has even more power than people here think.

I understand that, and no one's ever gonna take away from him the fact that no other director has ever made more for Harry Potter than him. He did 5 of 9 movies, more than half of the franchise; he ended the main franchise with two of the best films (Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 - which is a little bit ironic, since his 1st two entries, Order and HB Prince, are two of the worst); and he started this new spin-off saga strongly as well (I don't think Beasts is great, but it's pretty good).

However, what I'm saying is that, ultimately, there's a ton of directors who could just do just as good of a job as he can. And he already paid his Potter dues in tenfold. And creative diversity is important to make sure that a franchise doesn't fall into stagnancy, with or without JK Rowling. Why not try to bring back Alfonso Cuaron, who hasn't done anything since Gravity and is responsible for the best Potter movie ever made (Prisoner Of Azkaban)? Or why not give Muschietti a shot? Anyway, I'm fine if Yates stays, regardless, but I fear that, in terms of direction and visual asthetic, the Beasts franchise could become a little tired if he simply just does them all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

If IT has a $123M weekend there are 26 films above it for best OW ever.  It's Saturday number is higher than 12 of those 26 films... simply amazing.

Even more amazing, only 2 of those films had a higher True Friday to Saturday increase by percentage.  Oddly both released this year...  Beauty and the Beast (32%), and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (31.2%).

The highest Sunday drop of any of those 26 films was 34.4% from Hunger Games: Catching Fire... during an NFL Sunday from a November release.

I know it's NFL weekend and we have a hurricane on our hands, but I'm not sold on a 45% drop given the amount of demand this film had Saturday.

I think a drop in the low to mid 40s is most likely, but yeah with that fri to sat jump there's a very real chance it falls much less, possibly even as high as 30m today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think IT just became the biggest box office story of the year.

IT is the Avengers of the horror genre.

IT beat the Derby ow average (83.87) by nearly 50%. WONDR actually missed beating the average if I am not wrong, or came close. I think the Derby average was 106+.

But legs wise WONDR was insane and now is the 5th biggest CBM only behind 2 TAs and 2 TDKs.

Considering IT has taken the OW story of the year, it does not need insane legs to take BO story of the year away from WONDR. 3-3.3x like CONJ1 will do.

But WONDR still has the edge imo. If IT falls below 3x BO Story of the year could still be WONDR.

5 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Seriously though, isn't this the most impressive box office result in years? I cannot eveen think a more surprising one than this... It's just mind boggling...

PS: could anyone provide a list with the studios' grosses in 2017?

I still put American Sniper up there

• Like 3

A bit disappointed that the movie didn't bring any tears to my eyes. But it is really charming. It makes you fall for those characters and want to explore more.

Can you imagine how the 2nd chapter would open to? $150m? Wish they got the right cast for it.

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

WB's only problem right now is animation. They are not competitive at all against Disney/Universal..

reboot all potters an animation. won't forgive them if they don't. then take a 5-10 year break and reboot all potters live-action. then take a 5-10 year break and reboot all potter in virtual reality cause that's the future eh?

7 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

What a year for WB. Two major major successes and both are big surprises.

And just last year they were getting made fun of.

The box office numbers were big but they dropped the ball big time creatively last year and it cost them 100's of millions of dollars.