WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I can assure you he's not.  Without getting into specifics, I had dinner twice with RTH over the last ten days and I learned more about box office in those 5 hours than I thought was possible.  

Bottom line is everything matters.  Domestic, international, HV, licensing, TV, downloads, future earnings based on adding to a film library, airplane views, digital downloads and everything else.  Saying that domestic is more important inherently and unequivocally wrong.

Indeed. Early on @Jamessaid it best: we are no longer in an age when a film is made just for domestic audience, nor should a domestic box office performance of any film be the only thing that matters. It's all about worldwide. DM3, Fast 8 and BATB are perfect examples of films that are the year's biggest hits because their worldwide gross was so strong (1B+) thanks to a very solid to spectacular OS gross that propelled them to these leading positions on the year's leaderboard. Even IT is an example of this too. It will cross 700m because it caught on with international and domestic audiences alike.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lab276 said:

It's a little bit incredible that Rogue One made more DOM than OS. Who knew that sort of thing could even happen anymore, especially with big movies.

Wonder Woman also made more domestic than overseas. Expect that to change with the sequel though. I bet that WW is going to blow up in the foreign markets in the sequel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lab276 said:

It's a little bit incredible that Rogue One made more DOM than OS. Who knew that sort of thing could even happen anymore, especially with big movies.

RO and WONDR have that in common.

13 hours ago, La Binoche said:

angelina jolie's new movie which premiered on netflix on friday is getting surprisingly good reviews 

critics are finally warming up to her as a director https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/first_they_killed_my_father

still, she needs to get back in front of the camera. her huge starpower is being wasted 

She’s not very fond of acting, apparently.

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Just shows the difference in popularity that Star Wars has in North America compared to the rest of the world particularly Asia.

agree, Star Wars wasn't that popular among GA, at least here in Malaysia(part of Asia), especially compared to Marvel, DC or F&F, or even MInion.....

10 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I feel like some of the movies got propped up because of It's R-rating causing people to buy tickets for other movies and sneak into It.  A similar circumstance happened when 8 Mile opened giving tiny drops for I Spy, The Ring, Santa Clause 2....

1 N 8 Mile Uni. $51,240,555 - 2,470 - $20,745 $51,240,555 $41 1
2 1 The Santa Clause 2 BV $24,734,523 -14.7% 3,352 +2 $7,379 $60,038,513 $65 2
3 2 The Ring DW $15,507,802 -14.4% 2,927 +119 $5,298 $85,601,983 $48 4
4 3 I Spy Sony $8,809,800 -30.9% 3,182 - $2,768 $24,487,959 $70 2
5 4 Jackass: The Movie Par. $7,106,194 -44.2% 2,532 +2 $2,806 $53,198,646 $5 3
6 6 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $5,854,005 +4.1% 1,975 -2 $2,964 $192,857,165 $5 30
7 7 Sweet Home Alabama BV $3,810,839 -17.1% 2,004 -437 $1,901 $118,548,539 $30 7

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2002&wknd=45&p=.htm

Also, I think that It also had this affect on movies in It's second weekend reflecting on the good hold for Hitman's Bodyguard opening against American Assassin.  Most movies fell last week coming of strong Labor Day weekend holds but movies like Annabelle and Spider-Man have shown that 8-Mile effect both this weekend and last weekend.  Lastly, this weekend the affect has happened too with the aformentioned Hitman's Bodyguard and even I bet mother! had numbers propped up with people buying tickets for mother! so they could sneak into It.  Expect large drops for everything next weekend.

Mmm this the first time I've heard such thing in a massive scale. Only under 18 would that and according to your speculation IT lost millions of dollars

Why would anyone buy a ticket for mother and then watch IT....

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Mmm this the first time I've heard such thing in a massive scale. Only under 18 would that and according to your speculation IT lost millions of dollars

Why would anyone buy a ticket for mother and then watch IT....

because It is rated R and teens would need to buy a ticket for something that they will not get carded for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lab276 said:

9 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Wonder Woman also made more domestic than overseas. Expect that to change with the sequel though. I bet that WW is going to blow up in the foreign markets in the sequel. 

Because SW and WW are much more popular in US than overseas and it won't change with their sequels. The rest of the world doesn't care much about these two.

Edited by Firepower