aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

32 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yup...we did. It's so easy nowadays to smell a flop or disappointment. I can't believe people thought BR 2049 was going to be some big hit. An R rated 200M sci-fi sequel to a 20+ year old BOMB with a very niche/vocal fan is not a recipe for success no matter how good the reviews. Infact, if this was a critical flop...imagine how bad it would have done!! Valerian like result would have been on the cards.

That's why I say that it is risky to do expensive sequels of cult films that originally bombed in theatres. Not worth it. Only for fans...rest do not care. I like Villineu's style but the general audience does not. Frankly, guy should sign up BOND film and get a big blockbuster under his belt before he does Dune...because that film has bomb written all over it not matter how good the critical reception. Audience won't care about that. 

I admire posters who are in touch with GA. It's easy to be swept in movie buff world especially when raves start pouring in. But yes, everyone who guessed that this wouldn't break out on OW deserves kudos. Realistically speaking, Rick Deckard has never been a GA icon like Han Solo or Indiana Jones and the movie was a cult classic rather than everyone-knows-by-heart type. 

That said, I don't think that the brand name is as limiting factor as is not-so-accessible previews. GA can gulp high sci fi concept just fine (Inception, Gravity) if served in manner that draws them in, be it the way trailers are cut or big star names (Leo/Sandra) or both. Nolan and Cuaron found a way to make high sci fi accessible to wide audience without compromising finer points. OTOH, perhaps BR being inaccessible is the point, not everything needs to be for masses even without dumbing down. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Dude, there’s no movie that is 100% original, there’s always going to be something in the premises that will remember something that has been done before, following this “logic” would mean that there’s no original movies anymore. 

However original it is I feel like claiming a mediocre-looking horror movie has some sort of moral superiority over the MCU is a pretty big stretch

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I agree that nothing is 100% original anymore but I have seen this plot before, teen girl relives the day of her murder over and over again until she can solve her murder. It doesn’t even bother me that it’s been done before but don’t like it when people say it’s original when it isn’t.

And how would you label it? A remake? A reboot? 

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Dude, there’s no movie that is 100% original

Actually, MCU films are.

They are brilliant masterpieces, original works of art created by visionary directors who always do things their way, unencumbered by studio mandates or box office expectations.

MCU=ART

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

And how would you label it? A remake? A reboot? 

It's original but it just seems another teen horror movie with cliches. When i saw the trailer i thought in a Black Mirror episode, Groundhog Day, Butterfly Effect and even in Edge of Tomorrow.

Blade Runner is mostly style over substance or story.  Just because it has cool edgy futuristic visuals of, like, geishas on high rises doesnt mean it's a good movie.  Sure, it's influential (even Ex Machina copied that Japanese minimalist style for cool points), but Alien and Thelma & Louise >>> Blade Runner 

11 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

But that’s what I’m saying, theoretically it IS an original movie.

Premier movie is what I go with now (so you aren't remaking, sequeling, rebooting, or spinning off this movie, and this movie has no relation to a franchise to the audience)...it's the "first" time for this exact movie's characters to be seen...before they get remade, sequeled, franchised, or spun off if they are a success...

You can pull premier concepts from anywhere and anything...thus no worries if you stole from another movie thought, a book, a tv show, a toy line, a comic story, etc...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I have HDD at 25/60. With Friday the 13th and it being the first majorly appealing PG-13 film for teens since SMH, it'll have a nice OW. However, that inflated Friday will lead to a 55%+ drop in the second weekend, and I doubt it'll do something special the following week. Once Thor is out and October is gone, it'll die.