aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

I feel like this is an eternal, never-ending cycle on BOT. People get hyped up for non-franchise movies and convince themselves of wild BO glory... then are gutted when it doesn't happen. 

I felt that ARRIVAL numbers were probably a good result for BR2049 and it looks like that's where it'll end up (maybe somewhat under).

It's fine to get excited about a movie based on quality (or perceived quality, before release), but that just doesn't guarantee good BO runs. In fact, for something like BR, it means probably just the opposite. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like all Sci Fi franchises besides Star Wars must die according to audiences. 

Fun space opera like Guardians of the Galaxy are fine.

It's dystopian stuff that's in trouble.

Edited by grey ghost

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah... I'd rather not. Our reputation is shitty enough as it is.

equestriadaily.com is where they're at, though

Im going in.

edit: I’ve returned. It ain’t that bad.

Edited by AJG

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Been saying this for ages. Countless examples to back me. When you see those reports (with weird comparisons), you know it means trouble.

We had actual numbers though from the chain which shall not be named, turned out to be frontloaded to presales.

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I feel like this is an eternal, never-ending cycle on BOT. People get hyped up for non-franchise movies and convince themselves of wild BO glory... then are gutted when it doesn't happen. 

I felt that ARRIVAL numbers were probably a good result for BR2049 and it looks like that's where it'll end up (maybe somewhat under).

It's fine to get excited about a movie based on quality (or perceived quality, before release), but that just doesn't guarantee good BO runs. In fact, for something like BR, it means probably just the opposite. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The thing that everyone is disappointed about is the tracking numbers vs. the actual results.  This might come in 20M below tracking.  That's not good no matter how you stretch it.

Edited by That One Guy

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We had actual numbers though from the chain which shall not be named, turned out to be frontloaded to presales.

Those were just the fans (people like us) buying up tickets for first day screenings. Again... proving my point how full of shit presales reports are. Then they get pushed out publicly to present a narrative of how well a film will do... by comparing it to another. It's bullshit. Happened so many times now, people need to wake up and stop taking those as the Gospel.

5 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

BR49 never had a mind blowing trailer like Mad Max FR to generate buzz among the masses.

Despite tracking, there was not much hype among the public to indicate 55+ m OW.

Maybe IT being severly underestimated threw off everybody's predictions for the "next big thing".

To play devil's advocate to some degree, there were numerous comparisons that pointed toward a higher opening for Blade Runner 2049: TRON: Legacy, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Prometheus. All films that seemed geared more toward film buffs than a more generalized action-hungry audience, and all opened above $44 million.

That being said, I still see it having solid legs and a healthy overseas run, so it won't be a dud in the long run.

9 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I don't think opening to mid 40s like Mad Max and Tron Legacy was too much to ask for 

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

But, I asked this question before...wasn't it obvious this was gonna be largely presold?  The hype among fans was enormous - they waited 35 years for this!  But, where was the hype from non-fans?  I am a sci fi fan, but this movie never made my radar as a little kid (unlike Star Trek, Star Wars, Total Recall, etc), and I wasn't gonna go out of my way (or pay when there are 100s of movies and shows on Netflix I'm already behind on) to watch the 1st movie now.  And without watching the 1st, what about the sequel would pull me in at a full price ticket?  Now, consider a non-sci fi fan - what's drawing you in?  If it's the chance for a return to Harrison Ford in a role, Star Wars 7 kinda ruined that...so, what else was there?  Right now, the answer (by non-presold ticket purchases) seems to be not much...

I chose Alien Co before release to compare this movie to b/c it felt so much the same - what was there in Alien Co to watch if you were a sci fi fan who hadn't watched the whole series (since I'd only seen 2 of them), and worse, what was there for a 1st time to the series viewer?  It turned out to be very little...so with that movie, you gained a perspective of how big the Alien fanatic universe is...and I think we are now gaining an understanding of how big the Blade Runner fanatic universe is...and it's smaller than Star Wars...and then smaller again than Star Trek...and possibly even smaller than Aliens...

Sometimes the season of the movie is less important than the type of movie for comparison purposes...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The thing that everyone is disappointed about is the tracking numbers and the actual results.  This might come in 20M below tracking.  That's not good no matter how you stretch it.

I'm not saying it's good. But everyone always like to treat that like it's infallible and it's just educated guessing. 

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

To be honest, not Sure why WB went with this re-make. Not like the first one was a cult classic hit with everyone.

The First one barely made the $$ back from what I recall...if they had kept the cost down this would of been ok.

Although this is a little slightly lower then what I was expecting but it's fair .... it's one of those classics that not too many younger generation knew about.

12 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Not always the case ;)

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

Im trying so hard to remember the names of these characters.

Blue cat lady and blue cat dude is enough.

They will still make a killing at the box office even though "nobody cared about the first movie."  :ph34r: