Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

This looks worlds better than The Golden Compass ever did. Guessing this will bow later in the year along with Watchmen. Excited for both.

Ruth Wilson is playing Nicole Kidman's character?

I hope this is a big hit after the producers of The Affair did to her.

I think Knight of Cups is a masterpiece and Song to Song was his first weak movie ever so no real idea what to expect from this one especially after he promised it was a return to more conventional scripted filmmaking but then spent a couple of years editing it anyway. Cautiously excited though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think Knight of Cups is a masterpiece and Song to Song was his first weak movie ever so no real idea what to expect from this one especially after he promised it was a return to more conventional scripted filmmaking but then spent a couple of years editing it anyway. Cautiously excited though.

Yeah, I am also in the minority that liked To The Wonder and Knight of Cups. Song to Song is a complete mess though. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also @CoolEric258 the trailer has landed for that shelved (here, at least) Woody Allen movie starring Timmy opening in certain countries later this year. Was probably for the best tbh. This would've bombed as badly as Wonder Wheel did, if not even worse.

I hate what they're doing to Woody Allen. The allegations were made in 1992 and everyone (the industry, the press, the public) was fine with it for 25 years, still producing, promoting and attending his films. Now all of a sudden people want to punish him.

There is a strong case to be made for his innocence. There was an investigation. There is the oldest son saying the allegation was false and that Mia Farrow was an abusive mother.

I'm not sure who I believe, but considering there's a strong possibility Woody Allen is innocent, and that it was an isolated, domestic incident, and not on set related, I see no reason to not left the man alone and allow him to continue working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Watched Barry Levinson's Avalon. You cannot seriously tell me this thing is as neglected as it is. It's one of the very best films I've ever seen.

Glad I'm not the only person on here, whose seen that film. It's such a beautiful film about immigrants and family. Levinson's entire Baltimore set series of movies (Diner, Tin Men, Avalon, & Liberty Heights), deserves more appreciation then it gets. They really show how strong of a filmmaker he could be back in the day, and they feel a lot more personal compared to any other flicks in his filmography. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Glad I'm not the only person on here, whose seen that film. It's such a beautiful film about immigrants and family. Levinson's entire Baltimore set series of movies (Diner, Tin Men, Avalon, & Liberty Heights), deserves more appreciation then it gets. They really show how strong of a filmmaker he could be back in the day, and they feel a lot more personal compared to any other flicks in his filmography. 

Diner is wonderful too. I gotta seek out the other ones. This one just floored me. One of the best and wisest films about America, family and memory. I feel like if it came out today it'd be even more celebrated than the likes of Roma. But I'm glad Levinson got the chance to use that post-Oscar clout to make it when he could.

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Diner is wonderful too. I gotta seek out the other ones. This one just floored me. One of the best and wisest films about America, family and memory. I feel like if it came out today it'd be even more celebrated than the likes of Roma. But I'm glad Levinson got the chance to use that post-Oscar clout to make it when he could.

Yeah, it's really a film that could only have been made post Rain Man for him, and I'm grateful for that. Fantastic cast too. It actually got a nomination for best original screenplay and it should have won. Everything just flows so wonderfully. I love how nostalgic, and yet so realistic it is about youth and the struggle of making it in U.S., as a person from another country. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I just can't sit through Terrence Malick movies. I'm not that cultured, I guess.

Plenty of "cultured" people can't either and I'm sure some "uncultured" can and get things out of them. I don't think that's a useful dividing line especially when it comes to his work. You feel the connection or you don't. 

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Plenty of "cultured" people can't either and I'm sure some "uncultured" can and get things out of them. I don't think that's a useful dividing line especially when it comes to his work. You feel the connection or you don't. 

For sure. I was just being tongue in cheek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

I just can't sit through Terrence Malick movies. I'm not that cultured, I guess.

Have you tried the first 2 ? I think one can like BadLands and not any other Malick (specially is more recent stuff).

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Have you tried the first 2 ? I think one can like BadLands and not any other Malick (specially is more recent stuff).

I watched Tree of Life and watched about half of Knight of Cups. I decided then and there his movies are not for me.