Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

People are generous for themselves, not for the person they are helping, they don't care for her/him.

it is just a social ego boost & transaction.

Generosity either allows you

-to look good among your group of reference family, friends, co-workers, that girl you want to pork.

- so you can expect something in return from those groups of reference.

Selfless generosity doesn't exist. 

Wow...that's a sad worldview...if nothing else, you should hopefully be able to find selfless generosity in yourself, even if you can't find it elsewhere...

Maybe this means you aren't a parent yet...if there are people who know what selfless generosity is, it would be them...and before it's "but it still benefits you as it's your own kids," well, when you take on that role, you start watching out for everyone's kids...it just becomes ingrained:)...and you slow down in neighborhoods, and you give out Halloween candy, and you try to find a kid's parent when their kid is crying at a park, etc...

EDIT: Parenthood is the time when you stop turning inward and start turning outward...before that, even when married, everything can still be all about you...but then, it's not...and that is a life-changing turn that is hard for many, but ultimately can be pricelessly rewarding for more...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

This is brutal: 

A single, childless person needs to make $87,260 to live "comfortably" in Los Angeles, according to a GoBankingRates study.

From a THR article about entertainment professionals living out of their cars. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/meet-entertainment-workers-living-cars-housing-crisis-1169781

Edited by Telemachos
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is brutal: 

A single, childless person needs to make $87,260 to live "comfortably" in Los Angeles, according to a GoBankingRates study.

That figure is using a 50-30-20 model too (just 50% of the spending on necessity, it is living really comfortably and putting a really nice 1,450k a month away for retirement, historically that would mean becoming a multi millionaire well before retirement), I think it is a bit misleading to not say amount needed for living comfortably + build a huge retirement equity. 

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That figure is using a 50-30-20 model too (just 50% of the spending on necessity, it is living really comfortably and putting a really nice 1,450k a month away for retirement, historically that would mean becoming a multi millionaire well before retirement), I think it is a bit misleading to not say amount needed for living comfortably + build a huge retirement equity. 

True, although you’re also assuming the person is completely debt-free. Not to mention that lower-tier industry jobs pay 40-50k less. 

23 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

True, although you’re also assuming the person is completely debt-free. Not to mention that lower-tier industry jobs pay 40-50k less. 

Yes but more reasonable estimate is more in line with that for a person alone it is around 45-50k to live comfortably (still a incredibly huge number and can just give an idea for people with children and actual responsibilities). That 67K Canadian for a person alone, that put you comfortably in the top 10% of the highest revenues were I come from.

So many people ready to live in a car to work in a special industry just show how much demands there is and why those kind of price can be asked of them.

49 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yes but more reasonable estimate is more in line with that for a person alone it is around 45-50k to live comfortably (still a incredibly huge number and can just give an idea for people with children and actual responsibilities). That 67K Canadian for a person alone, that put you comfortably in the top 10% of the highest revenues were I come from.

So many people ready to live in a car to work in a special industry just show how much demands there is and why those kind of price can be asked of them.

You can get by on 45-50k in LA, with some savings, if you have roommates. But while it’s not poverty line, I wouldn’t exactly say it’s comfortable, especially in an industry where work is seasonal. (With a steady, guaranteed income year round, it becomes easier.) These entry-level jobs are sub-40k, too. Some are sub-30k. 

@Telemachos about the recent solar discussion, I did remember having seen something on YT a few years back that still makes me laugh as I re-found it

But:

Norway has it way worse than we do, hence why I'd be very impressed if they manage to do it

map_partners.gif&f=1

Exception is the region between the UK and France, the ocean there is coming with warm water from the south and moves ~ north = very much warmer there.

They are very nervous about that warm water thing (term?) will change the route based on the climate change, it would cool down a huge region now living in mid temps

Edited by terrestrial
the water moves, it doesn't do movies

Top 10 worst American celebrities of 2018

1. Donald Trump + Co (can’t list them all or they’ll take up the whole list)

2. Barf O’Kavanaugh

3. Ted Cruz

4. Ben Shapiro

5. Mitch McConnell

6. Steve King

7. Jeff Flake

8. Sean Hannity

9. Lindsey Graham

10. Bryan Singer

Honorable Mention: Tommy Layren

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PANDA said:

2. Barf O’Kavanaugh

3. Ted Cruz

4. Ben Shapiro

5. Mitch McConnell

6. Steve King

7. Jeff Flake

8. Sean Hannity

9. Lindsey Graham

10. Bryan Singer

Where is Chris Pratt? Dude is responsible for half of the universe getting erased.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PANDA said:

2. Barf O’Kavanaugh

3. Ted Cruz

4. Ben Shapiro

5. Mitch McConnell

6. Steve King

7. Jeff Flake

8. Sean Hannity

9. Lindsey Graham

10. Bryan Singer

I guess Les Moonves doesn’t count as a celebrity?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PANDA said:

2. Barf O’Kavanaugh

3. Ted Cruz

4. Ben Shapiro

5. Mitch McConnell

6. Steve King

7. Jeff Flake

8. Sean Hannity

9. Lindsey Graham

10. Bryan Singer

agree w/ all these except my #1 was jacob tremblay for the fourth year running.

• Haha 2