Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Happy New Year, everyone! Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2019 filled with plenty of moviegoing.

And to add to the discussion, the first movie I saw in theaters in 2018 was I, Tonya and the last I saw was Vice. Not a bad way to open and close a year. The first movie I’ll be checking out in 2019 is On the Basis of Sex (unless I find the time on Friday to see If Beale Street Could Talk).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nature club said:

I think YouTube NSFW, especially with the volume loud.  

Sex/nudity usually has introduction w/ video and violence w/ video is very sudden, but Exorcist scary scary.

very disturbing scene in Exorcist, one of the first I saw that included child getting killed

nudity in work or on computer at work is different from fantasy movies

having children around maybe cause brain shift to seek different material

14 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Me mostly selftrained in Engllish have often problems to understand the finer details of a posts (like if someone means something positive or negative sarcasm,...)

Do not understand what you try to convey here

I see e.g. nudity.... is mentioned = that is here way less of a NSFW or children are around ... problem than violence or gore or such

Different cultures, different POV what is suited and what not ….

jaja, I thought your reaction to Exorcist video was funny

I wanted to compare violent Exorcist video to sex/nudity video at work

nudity can be from computer or from people, and scary Exorcist video is fiction and ONLY from computer/YouTube

YouTube at work = too much.  Sarcasm best given w/ funnies or emojis on computer and Internationally

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

The first movie I watched in 2018 was The Last Jedi, and I rewatched it last night. Starting and ending the year off right and all that.

I started the year off with The Greatest Showman and ended it with Bird Box.  Yikes.

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Non-theatrically, my first of '18 was Carol and I still have a few hours to figure out what the last one will be.

And it's Eighth Grade.

If I'd had enough time before midnight, I might have gone for Call Me by Your Name for the sake of a nifty bookend.

“As long as there is one upright man, as long as there is one compassionate woman, the contagion may spread and the scene is not desolate. Hope is the thing that is left to us, in a bad time. I shall get up Sunday morning and wind the clock, as a contribution to order and steadfastness.

Sailors have an expression about the weather: they say, the weather is a great bluffer. I guess the same is true of our human society—things can look dark, then a break shows in the clouds, and all is changed, sometimes rather suddenly. It is quite obvious that the human race has made a queer mess of life on this planet. But as a people we probably harbor seeds of goodness that have lain for a long time waiting to sprout when the conditions are right. Man's curiosity, his relentlessness, his inventiveness, his ingenuity have led him into deep trouble. We can only hope that these same traits will enable him to claw his way out.

Hang on to your hat. Hang on to your hope. And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day.”

— E.B. White, 1973

(courtesy of Letters of Note)

Happy New Year, everybody.  :) 

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

OPERATION PETTICOAT! I rewatched that about a month or so ago. :lol: 

Looks Iike my final movie watched in 2018 will be DUCK SOUP. 

Thinking about to pick it as one of the movies for the next media course / subject, as an example of older movies. Course/subject is from one big school holiday to the next, than the next one starts, with a lot of overlap which pupils will return or not (some have to take e.g. a course for a time-span that they need for their finals)

I always try to find titles that might amuse both genders, and the pupils might have not seen already.

Plus newly released,... different genres and so on. At least one has to be a 'based on historical events' and / or one adding knowledge about a country with English as a main language - e.g. the King's Speech, a docu about, ... Last one had the 9/11 docu per the French brothers included, the discussion afterwards was less about media, but still very interesting

At the end of a time frame I let them choose one, that's than sometimes like ~ torture for me in a way

3 hours ago, nature club said:

jaja, I thought your reaction to Exorcist video was funny

I wanted to compare violent Exorcist video to sex/nudity video at work

nudity can be from computer or from people, and scary Exorcist video is fiction and ONLY from computer/YouTube

YouTube at work = too much.  Sarcasm best given w/ funnies or emojis on computer and Internationally

I didn't watch YT during my break at work, I took a look into the forum. My reaction was about the picture the YT-clip shows as a 'cover'. I even didn't realised it was a clip, as I scrolled fast to the next posts before I loose my appetite completely

Still not everywhere 2019

Edited by terrestrial