Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, matrixdmath5 said:

Orange County has a ton of privileged white people who drop the N-word like they are in gangster rap, and they teach younger people to talk the same way.  It would be in bad taste to join a group and not talk that way.  It is like how groups need to know peoples sexual orientation.  So they can live by their slang.

What in the ever loving fuck

Just now, grim22 said:

I actually agree with him on the first point. I have seen so many young white teen kids casually drop the N-word while talking with their friends. @Jay Hollywood probably knows a few as well.

Play any online video game, and you’ll hear white kids and teens shouting the n-word and calling people f**gs. It’s waaaay too common

1 hour ago, Pandamia! said:

I get that what I said about the temperatures where I’m at is anecdotal, but it is an exact science that global average temperatures have been continually rising.

People are kidding themselves if they think there’s still any real debate within the academic that climate change is definitively happening.  It’s not a future event, it’s happening now and we can see the effects in ecosystems already.  The only debate is how severe the consequences are going to be going forward.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing that there's cause for global concern, but fact of the matter is until you take the partisan politics out of it we're not all gonna work together. If you keep saying "it's Trump's fault it's hotter!", you're gonna come off more as a a general Trump-hater rather than someone who truly wants change. And people tend to forget regardless of who's in office that we've came a long way, especially since the 70s. And the Industrial Revolution before that. And there's work to be done outside of the US, especially China. Heck even the Anacostia River in DC which is known for its pollution didn't get a failing grade this year.

And regardless of who's in office, there's more that we'll continue to do. Volvo for instance, which is coming back to the US, will no longer build gas-only cars. They may not be a Toyota or Honda in US recognition, but it's a good start for hopefully more news like that to come in the 2020s. The new Boeing fleet is also reducing CO2 emissions by 14 to 30%. And clean energy is starting to really be more seriously looked at, in both red and blue states. I see a lot cities switching over to clean and electric buses as well.

Don't let the fact that Trump is in office cloud overall progress. 

Edited by Jandrew

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

I love randomly scrolling in the new posts feed and seeing a bit of post out of context. I thought "Damn, we're getting a Crash Bandicoot movie?????" before seeing it was part of the Create Your Own Movie Game.

This post brightened my day.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

@Pandamia! you're in North Texas right? Isn't the average summer high for that part of Texas low 90s or so?

Because with a high pressure ridge that covers above North Texas, that would bring in via the jet stream hotter air to the south that would inflate your temps until the ridge subsides.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I actually agree with him on the first point. I have seen so many young white teen kids casually drop the N-word while talking with their friends. @Jay Hollywood probably knows a few as well.

The second half of his point goes places.

You mean like 99.99999999% of all his posts....

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I really don't want to offend anyone unintentionally because I am really clueless about the subject, but I never got why black people should use the n-word. It feels like a gay guy calling another gay guy fag. It feels super weird. 

The n-word was used as a derogatory term from whites to blacks. When it's being used peer to peer, the impact isn't the same at all. At least I assume it's that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I really don't want to offend anyone unintentionally because I am really clueless about the subject, but I never got why black people should use the n-word. It feels like a gay guy calling another gay guy fag. It feels super weird. 

gay guys calling other gay guys fags in the same reclaiming way is definitely a thing. maybe not as widely used but i've seen it done.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The n-word was used as a derogatory term from whites to blacks. When it's being used peer to peer, the impact isn't the same at all. At least I assume it's that way.

I know abou those things. I just don't quite understand why use a word that has such a terrible history of insult against people of your group.

I guess it may be some sort of empowerment like saying that "it can't hurt us anymore.". But that's just speculation. I don't quite know

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

gay guys calling other gay guys fags in the same reclaiming way is definitely a thing. maybe not as widely used but i've seen it done.

Yeah I get what you mean like saying it in a playful way.

Now that I think about it Queer is an even better example so my argument is shit.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I have a gay friend who did that in college. He'd call a gay friend of his fag or sometimes queer. It was mostly in a joking way.

12 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I know abou those things. I just don't quite understand why use a word that has such a terrible history of insult against people of your group.

I guess it may be some sort of empowerment like saying that "it can't hurt us anymore.". But that's just speculation. I don't quite know

You're correct. Thing is, words don't have any inherent power or meaning beyond that which people assign to them. By appropriating a word historically used as an insult against them, marginalized groups exercise their power to erase its derogatory connotation, and use it to express affection or pride instead.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Yeah I'm not disagreeing that there's cause for global concern, but fact of the matter is until you take the partisan politics out of it we're not all gonna work together. If you keep saying "it's Trump's fault it's hotter!", you're gonna come off more as a a general Trump-hater rather than someone who truly wants change. And people tend to forget regardless of who's in office that we've came a long way, especially since the 70s. And the Industrial Revolution before that. And there's work to be done outside of the US, especially China. Heck even the Anacostia River in DC which is known for its pollution didn't get a failing grade this year.

And regardless of who's in office, there's more that we'll continue to do. Volvo for instance, which is coming back to the US, will no longer build gas-only cars. They may not be a Toyota or Honda in US recognition, but it's a good start for hopefully more news like that to come in the 2020s. The new Boeing fleet is also reducing CO2 emissions by 14 to 30%. And clean energy is starting to really be more seriously looked at, in both red and blue states. I see a lot cities switching over to clean and electric buses as well.

Don't let the fact that Trump is in office cloud overall progress. 

Except Trump is literally undoing 20 years worth of progress that the US has made with some of his policies.  Climate Change isn't his fault, I wasn't blaming it on him, but anyone denying that Trump isn't making things worse when it comes to climate change isn't paying attention.  Don't soften up the message just because you think it sounds anti-Trump when the message is quite frankly true.

Edited by Pandamia!

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Pandamia! you're in North Texas right? Isn't the average summer high for that part of Texas low 90s or so?

Because with a high pressure ridge that covers above North Texas, that would bring in via the jet stream hotter air to the south that would inflate your temps until the ridge subsides.

Yeah the highs are usually in the 90s during the Summer, this Summer it's all been in the 100s.  From what I understand it's a record high for even the minimum temperatures in the day around here.