kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Didn't stop Uncharted from making dough. That being said, this might not have much in the way of staying power. Bad reviews can affect capefilms. Just look at Eternals. Still, the Marvel name should get it to a decent opening.

What helps any comic book movie, or any blockbuster for that matter, to have staying power is the fun factor. The Venom movies did so well because they went all in on the dumb fun whereas Morbius does not seem to have that going for it. It might have some entertaining bits but to me it doesn't look like something that would appeal to everybody, just feels like something that has a more niche instead of broad appeal.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, clockwork said:

What helps any comic book movie, or any blockbuster for that matter, to have staying power is the fun factor. The Venom movies did so well because they went all in on the dumb fun whereas Morbius does not seem to have that going for it. It might have some entertaining bits but to me it doesn't look like something that would appeal to everybody, just feels like something that has a more niche instead of broad appeal.

Have to admit the takes I've seen that go "But Venom's RT score proves reviews are meaningless" leave me befuddled as there is a whoooooooole lot more films where the reviews are bad and, lo and behold, so too is the box office.  

My personal category is "popcorn flick".  Popcorn flicks operate under slightly different rules than simply good/bad RT score/reviews, but even there why the reviews are bad matters.  Something that gets tagged as a joyless, incoherent, boring slog is gonna get hit harder by bad reviews than something that might be incoherent and sloppy but knows how to have a good time.

Not saying that Morbius fits either of these bills, as we don't know yet.  Just noting that what the aggregate reviews say probably matter more than a simple RT score.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

the end credits scene for Venom 2 leads into the end credits scene for NWH so Venom 2 had to come first 

But you would easily have realized what had happened even if it hadn't been in the movie since Venom isn't important at all.

Just now, John Marston said:

Ha ha ha 

potential spoiler warning 

Hide contents

apparently this is set in its own universe. The references to Venom and Spider-Man have been cut out and Keaton only appears in a post credits scene

Welp, there goes half of this film's box office lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ha ha ha 

Hide contents

apparently this is set in its own universe. The references to Venom and Spider-Man have been cut out and Keaton only appears in a post credits scene

One of those has been mentioned in the trailers for 2 years now. Not sure I buy this rumor.

• Like 1

This is Venom post credit bait all over again.

2 hours ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

One of those has been mentioned in the trailers for 2 years now. Not sure I buy this rumor.

Many people have confirmed that they cut it from the movie, not that it was never there.

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Ha ha ha 

Hide contents

Thank fuck.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

I remember the director let it spill that Tom Hardy shot something for this movie. I remember he was talking about the impressive call sheet for the movie and the caliber of actors he got to work with for this and Tom Hardy was one of them. I was like, fuck get my boy out of there. 

That being said tho, someone asked Jared Leto if he saw Venom 2 and he was being super cagey about it like "Oh I don't know what that is" as if to hint Venom IS in this? So idk, maybe those reports are wrong. Hopefully not. Fuck this movie

Edited by Pinacolada

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Thank fuck.

SPOILERS

Reveal hidden contents

Do you see the eye symbol right next to the smiley face? That's how you create spoiler bars. Then you type in the text you don't want people to say, and you're gold ponyboy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Do you see the eye symbol right next to the smiley face? That's how you create spoiler bars. Then you type in the text you don't want people to say, and you're gold ponyboy.

Ah I see it now. Was on my phone before

Yeah, I'm slowly starting to take back what I said about this movie having positive financial prospects. It'll likely still open decently since the general audience isn't aware of these recent rumours...

Spoiler

...but once word of mouth gets out and people find out just how tremendously misleading the marketing is (i. e. the Venom reference, the Spider-Man graffiti and the Vulture scenes from the trailers all being cut from the final film), there's going to be...

Venom 2 Sony GIF by Venom Movie

Here's to hoping the movie Espinosa originally shot gets leaked online one day. I really want to know what their plans were, because this movie was shot during the Sony-Marvel fallout.

Either way, I'm expecting a pretty bad CinemaScore at this point. Is it going to get a plain B like Batman v Superman, or go even lower and get a C? Let's find out.

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Protecting the venom brand from a bad movie?

Tbf until NWH, the Venom movies were the best live action Spider-Man movies since SM3 lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

The first trailer got released even before NWH started its production...

Then we got delays, delays, NWH and another delay.

I think the movie we're getting in 2 weeks, is gonna be different from the movie that was meant to be released even before NWH. Things change. Rogue One is a perfect example. Look at how much of the movie was reshot.

That being said, Morbius trailer never tried to take out the focus away from Morbius. The Spider-Man and MCU references I'm sure there will be in the movie, one way or another.

This is not the first time we get a movie without scenes from the trailer.

Spoiler

I mean, we got Hulk in Wakanda in Infinity War and that never happened, right? So, there's that.

Besides, I don't see this movie getting a bad CinemaScore due the lack of references and/or some scenes being cut from the trailer. The trailer says this is a Morbius movie. So, what we see is what we'll get: A Morbius movie. 

21 hours ago, John Marston said:

Ha ha ha 

Reveal hidden contents

Why the heck would Sony do that? Are they *trying* to get this to tank?

Edited by poweranimals

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Could Disney have had an impact? Didn't realize the film would be awful/course-corrected after the delays and NWH's success with Venom?

I now assume Kraven will have exactly 0 MCU allusions

Why would Disney have anything to do with it? Venom isn't even an MCU property.

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Could Disney have had an impact? Didn't realize the film would be awful/course-corrected after the delays and NWH's success with Venom?

I now assume Kraven will have exactly 0 MCU allusions

Feige has chosen not to get Marvel Studios involved in the production of the Spideyverse spinoffs fllms. When asked, he has always said, bascially, it's  Columbia's Baby. Given some of the half baked ideas that Columiba was floating like the Young Aunt May movie, I  can't blame him.