WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Damn, I come into thread thinking the RT score must be in 20%-30% unbearable range to have this much of drama, pnly to find out the RT score was actually 54% and the average score is also quite standard at 5.5/10. 

Remember Sing 2 got A+ cinemascore despite 49 Meta? Mario isn't far behind at 48 MC.

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Damn, I come into thread thinking the RT score must be in 20%-30% unbearable range to have this much of drama, pnly to find out the RT score was actually 54% and the average score is also quite standard at 5.5/10. 

Remember Sing 2 got A+ cinemascore despite 49 Meta? Mario isn't far behind at 48 MC.

Don’t think there’s really much drama, just a few people being selective about when they think critics are allowed to speak for themselves or instead have to second-guess what a massive, varied fanbase supposedly wants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So if a movie has an audience rating almost double its critic rating, it's pretty much critic proof, right?

is black adam critic proof?

I swear, every single family with young-ish kids I know is planning to see this over Easter weekend. A lot of people have at least a 3 day weekend, so they are looking for things to occupy the kids.  Excellent timing for this, I think.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

My final say on this is that I can't help but wonder if those currently engaged on social media and the Youtubes in discussions of "It's been made for fans of the property and those who aren't fans of the property should just butt out and don't have a valid say"

.....extended the same attitude towards the Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey franchises, and will extend the same attitude towards the Little Mermaid.

I mean, if they aren't big fans of the property, I'm sure they've never commented on them, felt they had nothing valuable to say about them, and certainly wouldn't even dream of allocating a status of good/bad to them.

I think this is a very common attitude in fandom in general....only not usually so  openly expressed.

Thing is ,with the Mario brothers you have a big enough base to make a large budget picture profitiable.....but  with some franchises you reeally need to get the GA in order to make a profit.

"HOW DARE ANYBODY NOT LIKE SOMETHING I LIKE" attitude is why I hold so much of current fandom in contempt. There is no agreeing to disagree with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Classic Deadline lowball, or should we temper our expectations? They're calling $26m Wednesday

In places on spring break, it's enormous.  But some places are not on spring break, so it's probably a ghost town til 7pms.  So, anything could be right, although Friday will be epic, b/c almost everyone is off Friday...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Classic Deadline lowball, or should we temper our expectations? They're calling $26m Wednesday

I am still seeing 30m but deadline is not outrageous. Its average ticket price is lower compared to SH movies and I expect late shows to be weaker as audience will wait for the weekend. That said we will get more accurate number late in the evening. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sabrecmc said:

I swear, every single family with young-ish kids I know is planning to see this over Easter weekend. A lot of people have at least a 3 day weekend, so they are looking for things to occupy the kids.  Excellent timing for this, I think.

I live in a tourist trap of a FL city and I am 90% waiting until Tuesday when kids are in school.

The other 10% wants to see it with a crowd to enjoy it.