DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Also not sure even Dark Knight that went has well has it could, did 1 billion in 2008 without a China release but it was not a big market then.

It is a bit below 1.5 billion in 2017 performance.

Not a perfect metric but

Global Box office :

2008: 27.7b

2016: 38.6b

Using the ratio in market size, that is a 1.4B performance and now the competition is quite big in the genre and Batman was used a lot recently before that new iteration.

That is a good point, in 2012 batman was making 1 billion in is solo movie, Iron-Man without RDJ/MCU brand helping it ? Maybe, maybe not....

A bit like Wolverine, Iron-Man has a superheroes is totally untested vs the many recasted, often giant Box office that are Batman and Spiderman.

Realistically adding 3D, China, inflation, maturing of international markets, sneaks at 6 PM instead of just midnight, and removing the terrible shooting puts the grosses at: 

TDK: $755M/$1.7B

TDKR: $$645M/$1.6B

Those movies were truly massive. Each sold out midnight showings weeks and weeks in advance. Star Wars is the only thing that really compares to it today. JW was much more was up heavy than either TDK film were the buzz was straight deafening for months. 

Edited by excel1

$11-$12M?? What the actual fuck? I know these are very early estimates but Really, early estimates shouldn't even be that low anyway. The fact the number could go up to $13M or $14M says it all.

I'm no DC loonie but I'm extremely disheartened all the same. I thought there was hope for this movie. Oh well, the least I can hope for is that I enjoy it when I see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Well here’s another metric for you. A ‘Batman’ film featuring Supes and WW didn’t even come close to 1 billion. You can’t just pull metrics out of your ass to fit your own narrative.

Not sure how BvS would be a good indication on how a 

When/if done well, solo Batman films will challenge $1.5b on their own.

Would do too.

My point was the best possible scenario is Dark knight, Dark knight didn't do a 1.5 billion performance in 2016 market share, so I do not see why a done well Batman movie would have done it in 2017. Do you disagree with my narrative ?

• Like 1

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Moderation:

Can I make a request that we not re-litigate a bunch of made-up numbers with regard to 2012 CBMs?

hint: it's not a request

It's gonna be a long weekend Tele. Pour yourself a glass.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

The Avengers is the most attended film of all time world wide. Hands down.

Not sure if this is a serious remark or not. It should be obvious TDK $535m in 2008 dollars and no 3D translates above Avengers $620 with 4 years of inflation and one of the largest 3D shares in history...

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Realistically adding 3D, China, inflation, maturing of international markets, sneaks at 6 PM instead of just midnight, and removing the terrible shooting puts the grosses at: 

TDK: $755M/$1.7B

TDKR: $$645M/$1.6B

Those movies were truly massive. Each sold out midnight showings weeks and weeks in advance. Star Wars is the only thing that really compares to it today. JW was much more was up heavy than either TDK film were the buzz was straight deafening for months. 

3d, China, Inflation, maturing of the intenrational market are all 100% included in the global market being 38.5b instead of 27.7B

These movie were trully massive domestic, but Dark Knight oversea performance in 2008 was exactly the same than a terrible indiana Jones movie, lower than Shrek 3 much lower, 100 millions than The Davinci Code 2 year's before.

Still today DC movie oversea are not that special, not sure why it would have changed.

Reeves is a great director to handle Batman. Don't why due to JL preview numbers we want to pine for Nolan. There are many new and fresh (but those who may not be new) directors to discover. Nolan had good movies but wasn't an A-lister when he got BB. Patty wasn't an A-lister before WONDR. Or Whedon before TA, Miller before DP. We don't need to go for big names.

edit: Taika for Thor3 was an inspired choice. Even going for well known names, would rather someone like Cuaron or Villeneuve take a stab at a CBM.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna be a long weekend Tele. Pour yourself a glass.

This is the 3rd time in 4 films. It should be pretty quick at this point. MOS is the only one to even meet expectations on opening weekend

Just now, Barnack said:

Not sure how BvS would be a good indication on how a 

When/if done well, solo Batman films will challenge $1.5b on their own.

Would do too.

My point was the best possible scenario is Dark knight, Dark knight didn't do a 1.5 billion performance in 2016 market share, so I do not see why a done well Batman movie would have done it in 2017. Do you disagree with my narrative ?

A rebooted Batman ‘done well’ is not coming close to 1.5 billion, I’ll take that bet(if I were a betting man) against anyone on this board. Excel ran the numbers of TDK and TDKR(which I don’t believe) around 1.2 billion, still far short of 1.5 billion. It’s not happening. A rebooted Spider-Man film ‘done well’ with the addition of Iron Man didn’t even cross 900 million. Most people consider SH a tremendous success!! 

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

3d, China, Inflation, maturing of the intenrational market are all 100% included in the global market being 38.5b instead of 27.7B

These movie were trully massive domestic, but Dark Knight oversea performance in 2008 was exactly the same than a terrible indiana Jones movie, lower than Shrek 3 much lower, 100 millions than The Davinci Code 2 year's before.

Still today DC movie oversea are not that special, not sure why it would have changed.

Comic book movies are much more 'in' internationally today than they were in 2008. TDK largely helped initiate that trend. 

• Like 1