efialtes76

Weekend Thread | Coco 19M, JL 9.4M, Wonder 9.3M, TDA 6.4M, T:R 6.25M, DH2 5.7M, MOTOE 5M (Deadline estimates) | Bunch of Awardsy stuff making money too

20 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Considering how boring this weekend is, what are you guys predicting for next week?

That Rian Johnson joint: $225M

Event Film Ferdinand: $18M

$225M

$20M

• Like 1

This is my 100th post on this account and I want to make it very special. Despite our bumpy road, our trials, our tribulations, I have had a blast on BOT. Next year will be a better year and I look forward to spending it here with you guys. I hope you guys have a lovely day and you are all lovely in your own ways. Except for a user we shall not trust. 

Keep on keeping on :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

205M vs 23M

I think the fact that TLJ is opening a week earlier with regards to school holidays can hurt opening weekend slightly. Maybe it's different in the states, but I'm pretty sure everywhere in BC is still in school until sometime next week, so Sunday would be able to play like a mini-saturday

I know my school has another week or so until winter break after TLJ opens. So, business will definitely be lower than TFA for sure but it'll still make amazing numbers regardless.

• Like 3

i expect Coco's actual to increase. They have underestimated by a fair amount its first 2 weekends. That Sunday number looks overly conservative given its first 2 weeks.

Also, with bad weather affecting the SE and NE on Friday and Saturday some business may get pushed to Sunday (and some will be lost).

My local 16 screen had no power yesterday, so no movies.

I'm expecting the Sunday holds to be a little better than expected for most movies.

23 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I know my school has another week or so until winter break after TLJ opens. So, business will definitely be lower than TFA for sure but it'll still make amazing numbers regardless.

Absolutely, I think it'll make up for it over winter holidays, but maybe we can avoid the panic if opening weekdays are MUCH lower than TFA

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Thor passed Wonder Woman worldwide and it stands at 832 million. It will pass 840 million and has a slight chance at 850 million.

If it wasn’t for Wolf Warrior 2, Marvel would have the 4th, 5th, and 6th highest films of the year.

16 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Wow looks like The Star is turning out to be a sleeper hit. Could it crack $40M DOM during the Holidays?

I sure hope so. I'm really holding out hope that it can maintain the majority of theaters for the Christmas season in spite of its competition. I believe that it can definitely double its budget during the holidays, but as the most blatantly 'Christmas'-type film, it really needs to keep those theaters- that means saving a place for it among Star Wars, Ferdinand, Coco, Wonder, Jumanji, and Pitch Perfect. This film is going to cut it close, but it'll fall significantly if it can't stay in there.

This animated film was a Christian man's idea and passion, and it treats Mary and Joseph respectfully, so I am absolutely still rooting for it to do as well as it can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This is sad to see that Wonder didn't hold better, through it is a success story, but seeing DH2 and murder on the.... hold even better, the hold of wonder just not too remarkable....that DH2's hold make it looks more like an A+ cinemascore movie. 

I really think that has to do with Coco's presence, both being big family movies splitting audience and all.

I also got that "great legs and great sucess story, but... could've been even more amazing" vibe with Girls Trip earlier this year. It might be an unpopular thing to say, but while GT's legs were obviously terrific, they were also disappointing at the same time. Its 1st few holds were never lower than 37%, with weekends #2 and #3 rising to the 40's range, and the next both in the 39% range. Granted, all of these are first world problems cause those holds are stunning on paper, but they're not THAT stunning when you think of how GT could be holding at that point (I was thinking Bad Moms-like holds instead, which were stronger than GT's.... hell, GT outgrossed BM by only 2M despite having a nearly 10M bigger opening).

Wonder has definitely done much better than GT legs-wise, but at the same time, I too get the sense that "it could be doing better". It's still a huge hit regardless, and holy shit, didn't think it would hit 100M DOM even a month ago, but here we are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordanstine said:

You sure do love using the the word surge.

surge
sərj/
noun
plural noun: surges
  1. 1
    a sudden powerful forward or upward movement, especially by a crowd or by a natural force i.e. volcano eruption 

Warner Bros surges mightily past $2 Billion DOM, first studio to do so in 2017 !!! 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4351&p=.htm